Full Flash Verizon / Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 to Cricket: Talk, Text, MMS, Internet
TUTORIAL IN PROGRESS (CURRENTLY AIMED TOWARDS SPRINT)
First of all this is a great phone and it works really well on Cricket. A couple of the newer phones like the Evo 4G LTE and the S3 (same chips) cannot be read with QPST 2.7 (not even build 366). On a side note if anyone has a newer version, please let me know.
EDIT: MexiKing713 noted that QPST 2.7 Build 274 worked on the Evo 4G LTE. Try this with your S3.
I'm still trying to figure out the native MMS, but mraabhimself's solution is your easy, no hassle approach. The AOSP layout is better in my opinion than the stock touchwiz version.
Let's get it on!
Required Files (PC)
Keep the phone unplugged and install the Samsung Drivers.
Obtain your MSL
In case the Youtube annotations do not appear, you need to enter the incorrect MSL first prior to attempting to obtain the correct one.
DFS CDMA Tool
- Place the device in the correct mode. Go to the phone dialer and dial ##diag#. Choose Qualcomm USB setting. Pick either RMNET + DM + MODEM or DM + MODEM + ADB. Click "OK". Return to this menu after you are done and return it to your choice of normal modes.
VZW: *#22745927 > enable hidden menu > dial **772 > dial *#7284# > Choose Qualcomm USB setting.
Pick either RMNET + DM + MODEM or DM + MODEM + ADB. Click "OK". Return to this menu after you are done and return it to your choice of normal modes.
- Visit your computer's device manager to see if the "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Serial Port" appeared. Take not of the COM port it's on.
- Open DFS.
- Click ports. I personally like to keep the log open. Under Diagnostic you should see the port of the Galaxy S3. Double click it and wait till it appears in the devices online box at the bottom. Then double click the entry for it.
- Look at the top left corner. Locate SPC and put your SPC/MSL here. Then hit the arrow. If you're looking at the log, you should see that it is unlocked now.
- Change the 2nd tier of tabs to NAM.
- Hit read. This will provide you a good template to start from. Your MIN (which you can get from Cricket or your old phone most likely if you check the settings) must go in the MIN A and MIN D boxes. Area code and then the rest of the 7 digits. The next field of interest is MDN. This is where your phone number goes. All 10 digits. You'll place the same thing in the PCS field. Under Home (SID), you can change the SID to reflect the SID for your area. I've never really had a problem not customizing this field, but you might as well if you know the number (*STICKY* Official Cricket Home SID Thread). The other settings should be fine. Refer to the video for my settings.
NOTE: I would come back to the PRL as the last step. I think it shuts down the radio shortly after you write it. For the PRL, you probably cannot use the hybrid ones on our Cricket site. You will need to just use a normal Cricket PRL. I would hit read to get the current PRL. This is something you should save. Then load the Cricket PRL and hit write.
- Go to the data tab. Hit read. All of these fields might not be required, but it works. Fill in email@example.com (yes use the actual phone number and not the words yournumber) where it says UID or NAI. For the password use cricket. Do not tick the check boxes next to these fields. Again keep on referring to my settings in the video if you have issues. You can hit write when you have completed that.
- Go to the Mobile IP tab. Hit read. You want to change DS QcMIP to SimpleIP. Select the "Profile" with the checkmark next to it. Place firstname.lastname@example.org where it has the NAI field. Make sure Home address, Prim HA address, and Sec HA address are set to 0.0.0.0. For AAA Shared Secret enter cricket. Make sure the check box is NOT ticked before doing so. Do the same with HA Shared Secret. Place email@example.com in the RM NAI field. Hit write current profile settings. Also hit "write" to the left of it.
- Go back to step 7 and do the PRL.
- Reboot the phone after everything seems complete according to the log.
Fixing Streaming Media
The instructions are actually in the MSL video:
USGalaxyS3.com - How to obtain your MSL (SPC) for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII) - YouTube
Easy method to access it via an apk (thank you MagicalPhones):
Fix RTSP HTTPD Multimedia Streaming Settings for Flashed Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube
I did have a problem getting a port with this device at one point. I reset the device and reset the computer with no luck. I had to wipe the device and for some reason that helped.