Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

i have many questions

I don't know anything about all technical stuff with phones and this is the first smart phone I've owned. To make this somewhat short, my first two questions are: can you be online, And you either go back to the main screen or accidentally hit a button that takes you there . Can you go back online to the exact page you were on? and 2nd i have no idea what cache is, other than history , and what's safe to
    delete or stop, so you can free up space? Or you just don't use a certain item, but I'm not sure if i delete something if it will ruin my phone?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Nexus S 4G

A lot of this stuff you are going to figure out just by playing with the phone. Maybe you already did in the time it takes me to write this.

You can go online, and if you hit the homescreen button (looks like a house) you go back to your homescreen (like desktop). If you can find the web browser button again you should go back right to where you left. As far as I understand it, the Android OS that comes with the Score makes the old desktop pc idea of closing a program to use other programs virtually obsolete. If you are in the browser and want to use a different program, hit the homescreen and start up another app, the browser is paused in the background, not harming the performance of your phone. (jump in here, guys, if I'm wrong)

If you hit the menu button while in the browser you can click on windows and see if you have multiple windows open and switch to or close out some if you want. Long press (hold down) on your screen to get option menus, like on a link in the browser you can open a link in a new window or copy it or share it. Elsewhere, you get other options.

You probably don't have to worry about freeing up space like cache from the browser since it's pretty minimal, but if you really want you can hit menu from home screen, manage apps, and go to the browser and safely clear that up.

Your main issues with space will be installing apps. Get used to the idea that you gotta have some favorites that you need, and then others you will try and then uninstall until you need them again. Make the most of what it comes with, plus a couple others.

The score (as with any android phone) is not your computer. You don't have to think like you either have a program or you don't, you can install and uninstall to have a rotating selection as you need. Pay attention to user reviews before you install an app and be careful. It's not as cool as just having all your useful apps on hand, but if you want that experience you can upgrade to a more expensive phone after you're hooked on the smartphone idea. (I'm counting the days until my next phone)

The only stuff you can even delete on your score is like data and cache of apps, and usually that kind of space is pretty minimal and it just means you have to, I think, log in and do all that tedious stuff again. I think 100% all the apps on there you can't even delete unless you root your phone. So the only things you can delete/uninstall are the apps you installed, which are not necessary to your phone, and which you can easily re-install again.

The score is pretty limited in space because of all the apps that come pre-installed. Mine, I believe, is faulty and crashes and freezes when I try to do too many things at once, or sometimes just when I look at it, but other users seem to have a fine experience within the limited capacity it has.

thank you!

Right on! Thanx for responding so fast. One other ? What's ok to do as far as force stopping applications and or uninstaling apps that i don't use or I'm not sure if my phone neds them?

Phone
    HTC EVO

If you're asked to force stop (or wait) an application, it means either the app is taking a while to do what it's doing, or it may have totally locked up in doing it. If you're using the app and suspect something you asked it to do may take a while (searching a lot of data, or loading a large webpage) tell it to "wait", but if you're getting the force close option every time you open it, something may be wrong with how your phone is handling the app (note that not all phones/ROMS are compatible with all apps)
    The best options when deciding to uninstall an app
    1) if you installed it yourself, and it's not working/having issues, you are 100% safe to uninstall it
    2) if it came with your phone, you may not be able to uninstall it unless rooted, IF rooted, and CAN uninstall apps that came with the phone, GOOGLE the app and/or error! read up on it, you'll likely find someone else who wanted to uninstall it, and asking in a forum if it's safe to uninstall...
    IF rooted, NANDROID backups, read up on them, do them before doing uninstalls you're not sure about (or do them weekly so if you break something, you can roll back to a known good backup)

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Nexus S 4G

General rule, you shouldn't be force stopping anything. I recommend not to install task killers either, despite what the ppl at the Cricket store told me.

Why so concerned with stopping or uninstalling? Are you experiencing problems? What's your memory usage look like? Storage?

Did you root your phone? Because, like I said, otherwise you're not uninstalling anything, and your phone is pretty safe.
    Last edited by Trick; 04-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Phone
    HTC EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Trick View Post
    General rule, you shouldn't be force stopping anything. I recommend not to install task killers either, despite what the ppl at the Cricket store told me.

Why so concerned with stopping or uninstalling? Are you experiencing problems? What's your memory usage look like? Storage?

Did you root your phone? Because, like I said, otherwise you're not uninstalling anything.
    Yes, what he said on not using task killers to stop tasks, I was referring to when you're actually presented with the option to "force close or wait"

Thread Information