Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%

My thoughts on the Score

This is almost a perfect phone (lol I have not used it as a phone yet). The first thing I did when I got this was root it. I removed tons of pre-installed stuff (bloatware) and added my own stuff. AndroidIRC, Windows Live Messenger, TextPlus, cricketuser, bejeweled 2, and most other things I have tried work the only thing I have not been able to get work is Orbot. The only down side about this phone is internal storage and battery life other than that I love this phone

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Great review! Have you made any performance modifications since you got the device? If so, how is the performance now compared to before you made the modifications?

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Glad to see a positive review. Forum posts anywhere tend to represent the problem side of things. Like most people, I assume, I tend to just cruise happily along in my own life if things work well. Most of what I see on forums are problems. I started to wonder if anyone had a good experience with the Score.

STILL wondering if anyone has had a good experience without rooting the thing.

I did root it but even if I didn't I think it still would be a great little phone. The only reason I rooted it was to remove bloatware and put CM7 on when it is out. As for performance modifications I am not that skilled and to tell the truth I'm shocked I was able to do what I did to the phone and still have it work (not because of the phone being bad but because of my lack of knowledge). I bought a Micro USB OTG Cable Adapter thing and am going to start testing different things on it like plugging in USB Flash Drives, Mouse, Keyboard, and even a Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver. The only "bad" thing I have to say about this phone is the battery and the way I am going to get around that is buy a portable phone charger and use it as a second battery or look around to see if they make a better battery for this phone. all in all I give this phone 4 out of 5.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Well I'm not sure about what OTHER Scores might be like, but MINE is certainly not a great little phone. I'm not sure if half of the scores they made happen to be duds or what, but I keep seeing posts about people getting trapped in the muve boot screen reboot loop, which mine does from time to time. I know that my phone can't barely run the web browser and another free texting app without crashing.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

But as for YOUR problems with battery:
    first, it wasn't until AFTER I had the phone for a few days that I read the instructions saying to at first, with a new phone/battery, completely drain the battery before fully recharging 3 times to optimize battery life. This may be common knowledge and I vaguely remembered something about that somewhere but... well I didn't know it, basically. That is one thing I would have appreciated being reminded of as I walked out of the store thinking "I friggin know how to use a cell phone".

Also,

Standard Battery for ZTE Score X500 B4-ZTX500

Amazon.com: Universal Battery Charger for Zte cell phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

I am trying these two items out. Recharging the batteries and changing them out when drained, so I can carry the extra battery with me while out for a day. I got used to this with my old phone and I couldn't believe that these products didn't exist and that it was so hard to find what seemed like "black market" batteries and chargers. When I looked on the Cricket website for batteries, the site literally told me "your ZTE Score already comes with a battery" and offered no options to purchase extras. So far, so good, though. I ordered two of the chargers because they are so cheap, and ended up breaking one of them 10 seconds out of the box (Super glue rescue!)

You gotta read the directions on that product webpage, though, cuz they don't come with any. There are other, more durable and higher quality-looking chargers doing the same thing. Mine has been working just fine for the few days I've had it.

Battery

Thank you for the info about the battery and I will be sure to give that charger a try. I did not know about letting it drain tottaly 3 times before it is optimized and hope it is not to late to do it. I am going to make a movie review for this phone and when I do I will be sure to paste the link here. Thanks again for the info.

To be honest and not everybody knows including yourself but the method of full charge /complete drain 2-5 times is common sense for breaking any battery in. They need to cycle charges. It really helps prolong life and improper holding a charge for longer

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I bought two of these because they were $30 and I wanted to play. I have noticed the one my wife has been using gets worse battery life then mine.

That said, I have a t-mobile Mytouch 4G, which in its day was a much more expensive phone and in some ways the score works better. The GPS is especially solid. It is funny because I have owned probably half a dozen android devices including 3 tablets and I think the score has the fastest GPS lock. I rooted it and removed all of the cricket muve music stuff and some other things. Maybe that is what is creating problems for people.

I will also add that I keep mine in the car to use as GPS (I use copilot because it isn't activated for data) and to listen to audiobooks and music. I don't really put it through its paces like some of you that use it as an every day phone.

Before I had the Mytouch 4G, I had a Mytouch 3g and I was worried that the score would perform similar to that phone because the specs are similar but the score far outperforms that device. I have no problems with multitasking like I had with the Mytouch 3G.

I am able to keep it in airplane mode (there is an app to allow wifi to work but switch off the radio) and I was able to use it all wekk while commuting 30 minutes each way for audiobooks and a couple of hour long workouts without recharging. Probably the only downside for me is the lack of available memory for apps. copilot sucks up 20 mb.
    Last edited by redhaven; 03-23-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Oh my god 20 mb? . I get nervous when I see an app getting up above 40 Kb, and I only run like 2 or 3, in addition to whatever came on the phone in the first place. Maybe I gotta root this thing. *sigh* Time to suck it up and do some research.

Rooting is easy for this device. These are the instructionss I used from kind3rgarten from xda

Before I started, I had to manually install the drivers from here:

http://www.zteusa.com/support/mp/201...6387234095.exe

1. Plug phone into computer and install the drivers when prompted - like I said I did this manually first.
    2. Enable USB Debugging on your phone
    3. Do not mount the SD card
    4. Download
    Super One Click

5. Switch exploit to "zergRush" up in the top right hand corner
    6. Press Root and watch it go.
    After it finishes it may or may not install superuser.apk. If it doesn't, just download it from the market.

For me, it never really finished cleanly. It kept looking it was trying to run some final command and failing. I just gave it a few minutes and closed out the app on my computer. The phone was rooted at that point. I have a bunch of apps that require root so I just downloaded one and tried it to confirm. Titanium backup is available for free from the market and will not work without root. You can also use Titanium to backup and remove bloatware apps. Just be careful of what you are uninstalling. In the thread below, people give lists of what they uninstall safely.

More info is available in this thread at xda. It says it is for the Vitality but it had been for the score and was renamed because the Vitality is the cheap phone best buy is offering this week. Many of us bought these devices to use as MP3 players or whatever. There is a long conversation about using them as time lapse cameras.

Ultra Cheap and Nice Android Samsung Vitality - Page 10 - xda-developers

Also, you can move some apps to the sd card though applications in settings.

I like it in its a great phone for its price great that it's android 2.3 the phone doesn't slow down when you have a lot of apps on the phone but my only problem is that at times i have memory issues like when i uninstall something it doesn't give all the memory it took up at times

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Thanks for the info, redhaven. I've been thinking about rooting the same way I used to think about re-formatting my hard drive before I ever did it. Maybe that's not accurate... do I start fresh with a naked piece of hardware or is rooting just opening up some more potential?

Do I have to worry about re-programming anything to continue my phone service with Cricket? DO I have to worry about re installing anything? Or is rooting just about giving me more ability to UN install things that are on there?

I see people writing about rooting and installing "recovery"... whats that? What is a rom? HAha I really should do that "research" I mentioned up above but you went ahead and posted that step by step on rooting and here it is just opening up other questions I have.

No problem Trick. I have been where you are now. It was much much worse when Android device first started coming out because it was harder to root and the phones were much more expensive. The first time I rooted my original mytouch, I spend the whole time thinking about how I was going to explain to my wife that I needed to buy another $400 phone. That said, in those days the phones were badly underpowered and full of bloatware so rooting was really necessary to make the phone run correctly.

All rooting does is give you root access to the phone. It won't affect the apps you have on it or any of the user settings. The only change the one click root method makes are to install the superuser app which manages applications that need root access and work some kind of magic to give you root access. Root really just allows you to have full access to the phone. If you were to compare it to Windows, it is kind of like if when you installed windows, you were only given regular locked down user access instead of administrator access. It is kind of bogus that they lock it down.

Rooting will also not affect your service with cricket. It will allow you to remove some of the cricket installed apps if you want.

I can't predict things that could go wrong but generally speaking, it you try to superoneclick method and something goes wrong, the worst that happens is that it doesn't work.

The recovery is something like a program that allows you access the basic system of the phone. It is sort of like the bios on a windows computer (you know...press F2 to boot into setup or whatever). The phone currently has a recovery installed from the manufacturer which basically just allows you to wipe the device, but the custom recovery allows you to do a lot more. It allows you to install custom roms (so far there is only one for this phone and it is more or less the stock rom) but more importantly, it allows you to backup the entire phone so if something goes wrong, you can do a restore. I haven't installed the custom recovery yet so I am not sure what is possible with this phone.

I have to warn you, installing custom roms can be addictive. This phone only has one but it is very nice when you have a phone that is a year old and the manufacturer has basically given up on it, people with more skills than me port over roms from newer devices. My mytouch 4G does not have a chance of getting Ice Cream Sandwich but there are at least 3 roms available for it.

I removed bloat and have 70mb free in apps.

Also i have 2 set up basically the same, one stock one with scor3d rom.

Well will wifi connected always and just sitting in standby the run running scor3d dies over night. Well the stock one is currently at 22 hours standby, wifi on and over 90% battery! Wtf that's amazing for stock and crappy for a rom?? Gunna restore backup and try to get the same stats on the other one...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Ok so here's my interpretation/understanding of rooting and roms so far. Rooting opens up many possibilities, one of them being removing bloatware hogging my phone.. but there is more potential to be discovered...

what is the safe bloatware to remove? What are all these tasks running and other applications on the list? I figure some of them that are running are crucial to the system (always wondered why "kill all" was so easily accessible in one touch) but there are tons of others not under tasks running and some of them look important. Why is mobile web always running or Maps. I like having Maps as an option but I dont use it much at all but it's always running. Some others like bubble bash seem pretty safe to remove...

ANd a ROM issss what, a custom base point? Like, changes what the phone would be after I hit the factory reset combo buttons?

Not sure about that yet. Does a ROM come with a custom base selection of apps? ... orrrr... what? Is it just the configurations of settings that help the software access the hardware capabilities? Just wondering if I should just root the phone and go from there or do I need a ROM?

Thanks!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information