Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%

As for a battery Charger I was thinking of going with this one
    Micro-USB Portable Emergency Charger For Cell Phones, Bluetooth Headsets - Samsung SCH-m828c, Galaxy Precedent

(there is another one I like a lot more but it is also $100 and not worth buying for a $30 phone) lol I wish I would of played around with the phone a bit more before rooting it and removing the bloatware because I removed Maps not knowing it was the GPS but it does not bother me much as I have a TomTom. I am still working on making a youtube review of this phone but have to wait till I am on a diff computer as the phone has better stuff in it that this stupid thing does.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGSofDOOM View Post
    I removed bloat and have 70mb free in apps.

Also i have 2 set up basically the same, one stock one with scor3d rom.

Well will wifi connected always and just sitting in standby the run running scor3d dies over night. Well the stock one is currently at 22 hours standby, wifi on and over 90% battery! Wtf that's amazing for stock and crappy for a rom?? Gunna restore backup and try to get the same stats on the other one...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure sc0r3d is the problem there. I have sc0r3d on mine and leave it on wifi all day logging an irc channel and l have GV and sipdroid listening all that time for txt's and incoming calls and after 10hrs the battery is still way over 90%.

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Ok still wondering what bloatware is safe for removal but gonna play around with somewhere I saw some tips...

In the directions redhaven gave, "do not mount SD card".... is this something I have to actively do? Or is this when my phone prompts me to do something between computer and SD card to NOT click yes or ok.

Or should I UNmount the SD card before I start? Haha all the directions say "do not mount" but mine is always mounted... so maybe for me they mean "do not mount or if it is then UN mount"

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Trick; 03-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.

I rooted and stripped quite a bit out of my semi-working Score. Even though I'm tethered to an outlet because of the battery issues I'm plagued with, I sideloaded the APK for Square. (Square isn't officially supported due to the "small screen size", but it works anyways.) For $30 it's nice to have a standalone credit card merchant terminal. I'm pondering flashing it to another carrier that provides cheap low-use data on CDMA - since all I use it for is Square, really.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Holy Mother of all things tedious and unwieldy, I finally goddamn rooted my phone. The process frustration was exacerbated by the fact that I had to re-format my mom's old laptop before I could even begin. (simple version of the story, I'm home on vacation) But do you know how many windows updates there have been since 2007? Oh man there has got to be a better way than what I just went through.

OK, so I still never found out what was meant by "do not mount" the SD card. I could not tell if that meant to UN mount the card before the process or if that didn't matter and to not click the option for USB storage that comes up when I plug into the computer which DOES NOT use the language/word "MOUNT" at all in the dialogue or buttons so its a trifle unsettling when trying to follow step by step instructions.

Anyway, getting the USB drivers installed and the computer recognizing the phone was a sonuvabitch. THAT took like 10 tries of rebooting, uninstalling one version (from the link in this
    http://www.zteusa.com/support/mp/201...6387234095.exe

thread), another version (here
    ZTE+Android+USB+Driver+for+Microsoft+PC_5.2066.1.8 .zip

) , then BOTH versions, waiting while the setup looks like it is just frozen at the end but if you go make a sandwich and come back it will have that glorious finish button.
    THen plugging the phone in and trying any number of combinations of unplugging, plugging, enabling disabling USB debugging, waiting for goddamn update to give me a prompt then wondering why it doesnt ask me to try again if I pick the wrong folder instead of cancelling the whole thing so I have to plug in and wait again... but then some magic combination of installing, rebooting, got the computer to recognize the phone.

Maybe I had superoneclick running at the time, maybe it completed the missing magic link.

Then running the root process and having it stick at step 7. ARRRRGHH I unplugged, replugged, enabled,disabled USB debugging... nothing changed superoneclick just sat on step 7 then I just clicked ROOT again and it did it up until the end where it just kept trying and trying to finish. Exit out, reboot the phone.

THen the phone was rooted.

YAY!

Now what?????

Quote Originally Posted by Trick View Post

Now what?????
    I got a feeling I'm going to regret this. Flash cwm to it and make a backup.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

hahaha If you only knew how greek to me that is. IS that what you refer to for why you might regret this? Open up a new can of "what the hell do you guys mean?"

Actually, though, I've picked up a few tidbits of knowledge in this process so I VAGUELY know what you're talking about but I'm not sure if you are talking about using my computer with the phone or what. I tried downloading something from ClockworkMod and it had a list of phones that did not include ZTE score.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, I downloaded titanium backup and made a backup... but something tells me that is a bit different. I THINK you are referring to making like a complete backup image of the phone, like a virtual snapshot of everything just the way it is... and my impression is that Titanium does it differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Trick View Post
    hahaha If you only knew how greek to me that is. IS that what you refer to for why you might regret this? Open up a new can of "what the hell do you guys mean?"

Actually, though, I've picked up a few tidbits of knowledge in this process so I VAGUELY know what you're talking about but I'm not sure if you are talking about using my computer with the phone or what. I tried downloading something from ClockworkMod and it had a list of phones that did not include ZTE score.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, I downloaded titanium backup and made a backup... but something tells me that is a bit different. I THINK you are referring to making like a complete backup image of the phone, like a virtual snapshot of everything just the way it is... and my impression is that Titanium does it differently?
    To get CWM on the Score I think I used the 1st post in here: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...html#post34675

Titanium will back up your apps and does other things. ClockWorkMod is a custom recovery that you have to overwrite your factory recovery partition with to get extra features. CWM will let you make a nandroid backup of your phone, backing up boot, cache, data, recovery, and system partitions. Once you have cwm on there and a known working backup, you can more bravely do other things like remove bloat, tweaks and try custom roms and most likely get back to the last good backup point if you soft brick your phone or don't like a rom or make the phone unstable.

The order I went with on this phone:
    root, flash cwm, make cwm backup, install titanium & make a titanium backup, flash sc0r3d rom, install adobe flash player, cwm backup.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Am I understanding this? I go to "How to flash the ClockworkMod Recovery for the Cricket ZTE Score" on TheUnlockr.com. And here it's the same impression. "If you've rooted your phone, the next step is to flash a recovery"

and then the step by step instructions fail to mention all the steps in between, like REALLY the next step appears to be getting "flash_image" to work because when I follow the steps to flash recovery it doesnt work but then REALLY REALLY the next step (I think) is to install SDK so I can get flash image to work so I can flash the recovery.

Why post such easy looking step by step instructions? It would be easier to follow step by step instructions that included the real steps.

Can I get some clarity? Am I missing something? Is the next step to install SDK on my computer and then install flash image on my sd card so I can flash recovery? Why did I not see this until I try something that doesnt work?

Sorry, I guess I'm a total noob at this and it gets a little frustrating to try to follow easy looking instructions that START at a point I am simply not familiar with.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

1st off I'm not responsible if you brick your phone. Your fault for listening to me and I usually have a lot of typos.

You don't need to install the sdk.

Install a terminal emulator on your phone.

Download:
    http://cricketusers.com/downloads/ZT...M_RECOVERY.zip

inside that zip is a folder and another zip, take the recovery.img out of the folder & take the flash_image out of the 2nd zip and put them both on your sdcard.

disconnect the phone from the computer and run the terminal emulator

type su so the $ prompt changes to a # prompt.

(then the following instructions are form:
    Flash image - CyanogenMod Wiki

)

Then at the # prompt in the terminal emulator run the command:
    mount -o remount,exec /dev/block/vold/179:1 /sdcard

Then run:
    cd /sdcard

Then run:
    ./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Last edited by KydDynoMyte; 04-24-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Phone
    Nexus S 4G

Oh man what a relief thanks. I am sitting here cursing the developers who wrote the instructions on getting flash_image for not being authors and teachers as well as developers. )

If I can drag and drop it why the hell... hmm i guess these instructions (
    Flash image - CyanogenMod Wiki

) are written for a different time or a different device...

Awesome it is backing up a recovery image as I type this. What a difference that made! You saved my sanity today, sir.

iv been looking all day and night long to find out how to flash the recovery and this post worked first try thanks so much

Phone
    Huawei Ascend 2

Installed CWM recovery, problems with CWM functionality.

On the CWM no matter what option I pick it shows the Hat with the arrow, and it just stays there until I hit the power button on top. Then it just returns to the menu. I tried a couple of cwm images. Same thing. I have no idea. CWM Recovery v5.0.2.7

Customer Since
    Phone
    ZTE Sonata 4G

The Score is Bucking Awesome! best phone purchase I've ever made along with switching to Cricket and I got CWM to work on my Score, as for the whole "Dissapearing Text in the main menu" Part, it's mainly because you pressed the power button in the FRONT main menu, you need to use the Volume Rocker to highlight an option and use the Camera shutter button to select a option, only use the Power Button to back out to the Front Main Menu

Hope that helps
    Last edited by CyberTails; 06-01-2012 at 07:28 PM.

i cant get cwm to flash, or w/e im using the emulator, and i type everything in just like it is supposed to be, but nothing happens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information