Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    ZTE SCORE

Wink Need help replacing my scores digitizer

So I cracked my screen, and I'm ready to replace it. This my second phone I've broke in 3weeks. I had my Huawei Ascend forever, dropped it a million and one times and the screen is still perfect. I had a Huawei U8500 and dropped it once and the screen is a hot mess. Now I have the ZTE Score and I bumped into something with it in my pocket and cracked my screen. I oredered a replacement on Sinophoneparts.com, for like $25. My problem is that nowhere on the web is there a teardown, or repair video for the score. I'm assuming that its because the phone is so inexpensive. I've rooted and flashed phones numerous times, and I have a decent amount of experience working with electronics, but this is kind of uncharted territory for me. I'd really like to do this myself so I can learn how, incase I break another screen. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I finally did the repair, i listed the steps that I took at the bottom of the page. Sorry for no pics. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to do my best to help out.
    Last edited by jstnberry; 04-29-2012 at 11:42 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

its a fairly easy phone to repair. just be careful and take your time. dont forgot the 2 screws on the sides 1 by the charger port and another 1 by the memory card slot. the rest should be a piece of cake.

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

Wink

I was also thinking, do I have to run any kind of app to reset the digitizer after replacement? Or since it should be in the exact position, should the touchscreen still be accurate.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I'm willing to bet that there are a ton of people out there who are looking for the same thing I am. That is Some visual assistance. If I could see it done once, I'd know Im not getting in over my head. I've watched several teardowns and repairs for other phones, some are simple and some are very complex. Since I have the part, I know a shop that would do the repair fairly cheap. I was quoted $45 and that was with them providing the part. I thought when I ordered the part, I'd do a little research and if I felt confident I'd to the repair myself. If anyone has any pics or videos that can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    Last edited by jstnberry; 04-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Overall activity: 2.0%

$45 for parts and labor is very cheap. I would ask the person who sold you the part if they have any guides. It might be hard to find something for a phone at that price point. I would video tape what your doing to share with the rest of us.

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

Thanks for the advice. I have literally searched the internet from top to bottom, for pics or video to help. I searched every site that sells the part even. I was really surprised that theres nothing really out there, and I know Cricket has sold tons of these phones. I'm willing to bet a teardown or repair video of this phone would get a ton of hits. I'm really hoping that someone will post one. If nobody else posts one in a few days I'm gonna attempt to video the repair myself and post it.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Hi jstnberry

Have you received the part yet? I searched high and low for the replacement screen for the score and sinophoneparts.com seems to be the only place that has it. Let us know how long it took to get it in and your overall purchasing experience with them. I was hesitant since they are from Japan.

Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

I received the part from sinophoneparts.com in about 11 days, which isn't bad coming from China with free shipping. My my experience was positive for sure. The part is great however,i haven't installed it yet to know if it's 100% functional. I'm gonna do the install within the next couple days, just got to get the adhesive.i have seen the part on other sites that have the digitized and housing sold as lone piece, but mine requires the added step

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Talking The repair

So I finally did the repair, and it went well. The bad news however, I had nobody to help video the process. I tried taking pics, but I only had another smart-phone with no flash to do it with. So the best I can do to help others with the process is list the steps I took.

1.First I turned the phone off, removed the micro sd, battery cover, and of course the battery.
    2.Next I removed 6 screws in all. 4 are in the back on the corners and 1 each at the usb port and mirco sd port.
    NOTE: the screws are very small, and in 2 different sizes. the 4 in the back use a #03, and the ones in the ports are #04 sized screwdrivers.
    3.I then removed the back panel, by carefully prying in the little slots located all around the edges of the panel.
    4.Next removed the 2 ribbon cables. they both un-snap very easily by gently lifting up with a tool.
    5.Then I removed the mother board(the volume button is attached so be careful). I had to gently pry it up, and i had to pry the panel a little where the USB is attached to get it out.
    6.Next I removed the LCD. It comes out very easily, if you gently pry at the bottom.
    ******At this point I had the whole front panel and the digitizer separated*******
    7.Next I used a heat gun to release the adhesive enough to pry the old digitizer from the panel.
    8.Then I had to put the new digitizer on the panel. I had plenty of adhesive left on the panel to hold the new glass. I had to pry back the new ribbon cable where the little micro chip thing is. The cable and the chip go through this little slot on the panel, and the chip sits in the little square spot on the back.
    9.Next I heated the panel, and glass around where the adhesive is, Pressed and held the glass in place.
    I then reassembled the phone.

All in all it wasn't that bad. It was different than every other repair I watched online. I'm really glad to have it done, it was so much cheaper than replacing the phone...

Overall activity: 1.0%

Awesome write-up jstnberry.. Thanks for sharing your purchasing experience too, truly appreciate it...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks nice job

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

So i just had an idea, and I'm not100% sure it would work but i don't see why it wouldn't. So i saw that best buy has the score for $39.99. Then i thought if some one needs a new screen or lcd or battery, then why not pick that up for parts. It would be way cheaper if you add it up. If your digitizer or lcd is cracked, then you could just swap the mother board out.it would be like basically getting a new phone.

Does anyone know if the digitzer for the cricket score fits the metro pcs model? I have searched high and low to find a metro pcs digitizer and can not find one. My phone is the Metro PCS Score X500 M.

Robert

Repaired my ZTE Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rslater64 View Post
    Does anyone know if the digitzer for the cricket score fits the metro pcs model? I have searched high and low to find a metro pcs digitizer and can not find one. My phone is the Metro PCS Score X500 M.

Robert
    First off let me say thank you for the great write up of how to fix the ZTE Score. While the one I fixed was for Metro PCS and not cricket, the instructions were perfect.

Now on to my results for anyone seeing this forum. The screen for the Cricket model is the exact same as the Metro PCS version. The difference is only in the name that is seen on the screen. I could not find one that had the Metro PCS logo and had to use the Cricket logo. The phone works perfect with the new digitizer. If anyone is ever able to find the Metro PCS version of the digitizer, I would love to know where they got it from.

Happy Repairs to all who are the DIY characters like me!!

Phone
    ZTE SCORE

Thumbs up

thank you very much...

Customer Since

Quick question, how strong is the adhesive? do you think that once heated, it would be possible to remove the digitizer from one phone, and replace it on another one without breaking it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information