Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

New to the forum and Cricket - most likely getting a ZTE Score

Hey guys, I'm new around here, and once I get my tax return, I'm going to buy my first Cricket phone: the Score.

There are a couple of things I wanted to ask:

1. What does rooting mean? How is it beneficiary for the Score (or any phone, I guess)?

2. What are those sticky Recovery threads about?

3. What can you recommend me to do to get the most out of this phone - in terms of performance and general good use - when I get it?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

rooting your phone means giving yourself root, or superuser (think...admin) access, giving you access to system files and the ability to change things that normally are marked read only

This allows you to change all kinds of things that normally you wouldn't be able to, along with install custom versions of Android.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

Phone
    Galaxy S3

What is a custom recovery? If you've dealt with recovery software on your computer any, you probably already have a good idea of how this works and what it's all about. Out of the box, your phone comes with stock recovery software. It varies depending on the manufacturer, but all stock recoveries are essentially the same. They allow you to manually flash official updates and allow you to clear the cache on your phone. What they can do is very limited and in reality, not all that helpful.

Thanks to the genius Android developers out there, we have custom recoveries that replace the limited, unhelpful ones. These third-party, or aftermarket, recoveries add all sorts of functionality to the recovery software on your phone.

What do they do? Now that you know custom recoveries are much more helpful, what exactly do they do that the stock versions don't? Flashing a custom recovery to your Android device allows you to:

Create backup images A backup image of your phone will backup all settings, applications, app data, and every other aspect of your phone's current state. Restore backup images Restoring a backup image will restore everything to exactly how everything was when the backup was made. Creating and restoring backups are very useful when trying new mods. I recommend making them fairly often. Factory data reset and wipe cache This is self explanatory, but custom recoveries also allow you to format other partitions like the phones internal and external storage, too. Flash custom ROMs This is also self explanatory. Recoveries are where all the ROM flashing magic happens. You can also install applications via a recovery as well, just make sure they're in zip format (.apk files will not work). Partition your SD card Though this was a lot more helpful when phones came with less memory and before Android 2.2 came along, some people still prefer to partition their SD card for more application storage.

There are a few more uses for custom recoveries, like wiping dalvik cache and battery stats or creating logs for error reporting and debugging. But the features listed above are what recoveries are most commonly used for.

Welcome to Cricket Users!!

In addition to making actual modifications to the phone, you also might want to look into some nice applications to download. Here is a forum with some good Android apps: Android Apps and Information

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    ZTE Score

welcome to cricket users! i have the score and can help you root it if you get stuck!

Phone
    Droid 3, Droid X2

i would say to not get the score my gf had it and i kinda sucked. get a Verizon or sprint android you can find CHEAP bad esn ones on ebay or your local craigslist and if you need to flash it you can contact chrisngrod and i think he only charges $35
    Last edited by Trevaryn; 03-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Trevaryn View Post
    i would say to not get the score my gf had it and i kinda sucked. get a Verizon or sprint android you can find CHEAP bad esn ones on ebay or your local craigslist and if you need to flash it you can contact chrisngrod and i think he only charges $35
    2nd this. Or spend a little more and get a Merc. Way Better

Quote Originally Posted by asuddendeath View Post
    2nd this. Or spend a little more and get a Merc. Way Better

You could also get the Samsung Vitality, which is in between the two (pricing wise). I have it and I think it's great. Of course the Huawei Mercury will be better. It all depends on what you can afford.

Thread Information