Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    ZTE Score

[
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by stedman420 View Post
    You have to make sure the flash_image file is in your system/bin folder on your phone. I suggest usin some kind of root browser from the play store. Once it's their you'll have to chmod/chown it with root permissions. Just make it the same perms the ones around it have. I used ghost commander file manager to do this as it's easy to chmod/chown with. Just make sure to set root mode in the settings and when on a system file long press to chown/chmod. Oh make sure to set two lines in a row as well in ghost commander settings. This is so you can see the permissions and users on the system files. Hope this can help. :-)
    Ok I used ROM Tool Box to move the flash_image and change the permissions but now it says file not found. Should I change the group name or user name by any chance. Just to make sure am I supposed to leave the recovery.ing on the sdcard? Sorry I have zero experience with this. I know there's many different ways to accomplish this, I'm trying to do it mostly with apps on my phone.
    Last edited by Devicive; 06-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Yes flash_image should be in /system/bin and recovery.img on the root of the SDcard. Then in Terminal Emulator at the #: prompt type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img then enter then #: reboot recovery and it should reboot to the CWM recovery menu. If TE does not show the #: command prompt then you will need to type su then enter first to give it root permissions. I am very much a noob at all of this too. I don't know if this is the right way but this is the way I did it and it works well.

Phone
    ZTE Score

Terminal Emulated Stress

So heres my confusion. First, I dont know what the root of the sdcard is unless it means plain and simply on the sdcsrd, not in a folder. Second When I moved the flash_image to the system/bin on the phone I was allowed to change permissions, special permissions such as uid, gid, and sticky. Also able to change user and group name. All this freedom to mod but when I ran the TE it says file not found. So I placed it back in the sdcard (which restored all permissions back to their origina settings I found out later) ran the TE again all to get a "Permission Denied" That's when I found out about the settings. Sdcard doesnt allow setting changes. Everywhere I look for this information on the net everyone makes it seem so simple using TE cause obviously they leave out all the steps leading up to using the TE. Not to mention I've seen at least 3 different ways of commanding TE to accomplish this.

I'm not going to read your previous posts....However, I followed these instructions from KidDynomite, and was able to get CWM on the first try with no hassles whatsoever. IIRC, both flash_image and recovery.img should be all extracted to the root of the sdcard (not in any subfolders...in the topmost area...like SD:\flash_image and SD:\recovery.img). I didn't copy any of these files to the phones internal memory. Make sure you've properly rooted the score too. I used drivers from the zteusa website and superoneclick.

EDIT: Actually, I think KidDynomite missed a slash in the directions. The
    flash_image wiki article

says:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,exec /dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard
    Note the double slash between "block//vold" that the post did not show.

Last edited by djc89; 06-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Phone
    ZTE Engage V8000

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Devicive View Post
    So heres my confusion. First, I dont know what the root of the sdcard is unless it means plain and simply on the sdcsrd, not in a folder. Second When I moved the flash_image to the system/bin on the phone I was allowed to change permissions, special permissions such as uid, gid, and sticky. Also able to change user and group name. All this freedom to mod but when I ran the TE it says file not found. So I placed it back in the sdcard (which restored all permissions back to their origina settings I found out later) ran the TE again all to get a "Permission Denied" That's when I found out about the settings. Sdcard doesnt allow setting changes. Everywhere I look for this information on the net everyone makes it seem so simple using TE cause obviously they leave out all the steps leading up to using the TE. Not to mention I've seen at least 3 different ways of commanding TE to accomplish this.
    Ok I'll break it down to basics.
    Recovery.img goes simply on your sd card not in a folder.
    Next flash_image goes in your system/bin folder.

Permissions for flash_image are as follows.

User/UID=rwx or read write execute
    Group/GID=rx or read execute
    Other/Sticky=rx or read execute
    User Name=root
    Group Name=shell

Or
    flash_image
    rwxr-xr-x
    root shell

Once flash_image has these permissions type exactly these commands in terminal emulator type only what is inside these quotes including spaces but not the quotes themselves.
    "su" hit enter
    "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" hit enter

The command prompt should just go to the next line in which case you can type in "reboot recovery" hit enter and it should reboot to your new recovery.

Trust me on this that this info is accurate and I have rooted more than just my score but again I used and continue to use ghost commander for file transfers and permission changes in fact it comes as the file manager in my rom. I just find it easy to use and to me it seems like this phone doesn't like romtoolbox and that romtoolbox doesn't like to recognize this phone just my observation. Hope this can help clear the confusion in this matter. :-)
    Last edited by stedman420; 07-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Phone
    ZTE Score

Thumbs up CWM Recovery Success

Stedman you are the man! Wow, somethings this easy really shouldn't be that complicated. I had to make one mod to your last post explination which actually was more in line with your first post. Give flash_image the same permissions as the ones around it in the "system/bin" folder. (Which is on the phone) It didn't work before cause I didn't know to change the user and group names. I changed them both to Root, I hope that doesn't give me any problems in the future. Now as for ROM Toolbox, I mostly agree with you when you said "
    to me it seems like this phone doesn't like romtoolbox and that romtoolbox doesn't like to recognize this phone just my observation

Read more: http://www.cricketusers.com/newreply...#ixzz1xLLcgKIh
    Recovery"
    Their TE doesnt work, Apps2sd doesnt, App delete hangs up, and thats just what I know cause I havent tried all the rest of the options, but...... I tried Ghost Commander and couldnt function it right away so I gave ROM Toolbox A shot. For locating files and changing perms and user names it's super easy and it worked. I hope this ROM install's more FOOL friendly. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Devicive; 06-09-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    ZTE Sonata 4G

For whoever else wants to know, Link2SD works for me on the Score, I'm using it for big apps such as Angry Birds and Instagram (Link2SD is a App moving app that makes use of an sd-ext partition in the SD Card)
    Last edited by CyberTails; 06-09-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Overall activity: 2.0%

i recently installed cwm and rom manager tryd to make a back up and my phone will not go in recovery mode plz help i already tryd to hold down da cam.button vol dwn pwer does not wrk
    Last edited by mikeda1andonly; 06-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Phone
    ZTE Engage V8000

Hey I'm glad I could help it actually made my day to hear your recovery was installed now the fun begins :-)

Phone
    ZTE Score

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MaPMaKaR View Post
    Ya Dolphin Browser HD and Adobe Flash prolly won't work with the stock ROM. I would suggest flashing the ROM to exile_kitchen. The sc0r3d ROM might work as well but I haven't tried that one so I don't know. Those are the only two custom ROMs that I know of that are available for the Score at this time.

Assuming your Score is rooted and you have the Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery installed on the phone and you have a Windows 7 PC like me, here's the way I like to flash the ROM to exile_kitchen:

+ Boot the phone into recovery mode.
    + Select "backup and restore" then "backup" to make a nandroid backup of your current ROM.
    + When the backup is complete click the power button to go back the the main CWM menu
    + Select "mounts and storage" then "mount USB storage"
    + Open the window on your PC to view files and then move the backup file you just made to your PC for safekeeping.
    + Also move any pictures you want to keep from the /DCIM/camera folder to your PC
    + Backup any vids, music or any other files you may want to keep in same way.
    + Now, on the phone, select "unmount USB storage"
    + Power button to back one level and select select "wipe cache partition" then "wipe data/factory reset"
    + Then back again and "advanced" then "Wipe Dalvik Cache" then "Partition SD Card"
    + Choose 256K for sd-ext size and 0 for swap size
    + Then, when it's done partitioning the SD card back again to main CWM menu and select "mounts and storage" again and "mount USB storage"
    + Copy files from your PC to the root of the SD card: exile_kitchen.zip, com.elgubbo.a2sdGUI.apk, Dolphin_Browser_HD_8.0.1.apk, and adobe flash player 11 v11.0.1.153 armv6.apk then "unmount USB storage"
    + Back to main CWM menu and now "install zip from SD card" and "choose zip from SD card" and select exile_kitchen.zip
    + Back to CWM main and select "reboot system now"
    + It will take a long time to boot.
    + Important: Before doing anything else...
    + Open Superuser from the app drawer then tap the menu button then tap Preferences
    + Tap Su Binary v3.0.x.x and update the su binary if necessary
    + Open File Manager in the app drawer and tap com.elgubbo.a2sdGUI.apk and install the app Apps2SD then open it
    + Verify Apps are on SD! is on.
    + Tap Zipalign on boot to turn it on.
    + Tap the Dalvik tab at the top.
    + Verify Dalvik Cache to SD-EXT is on then tap Move! Phone will reboot.
    + It will take a long time to boot again but when it does you are ready to go!
    + Install the Flash Player and the Dolphin Browser from the SD card then you can delete the *.apk files from the SD card if you want to.
    + You now have lots of memory space to install whatever other apps you like from the Google Play store!

Thanks so much to MaPMaKeR and stedman420 for making this possible and real easy........ PLEASE anyone who finds their post helpfull on this topic click the green button @ the top right or THEIR post on the desktop version.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stedman420 View Post
    Hey I'm glad I could help it actually made my day to hear your recovery was installed now the fun begins :-)
    YES!!!!!! I was so frustrated I was about to start reading up on Linux programing.

Hey I still might. I'll start at their Forum.

Phone
    ZTE Score

I was wondering if when I access the internet other programs still run consuming processor resources and if so is there a way to put in a block once I activate the internet?

Phone
    ZTE Engage V8000

Quote Originally Posted by mikeda1andonly View Post
    i recently installed cwm and rom manager tryd to make a back up and my phone will not go in recovery mode plz help i already tryd to hold down da cam.button vol dwn pwer does not wrk
    If your phone still boots try re-flashing the custom recovery and don't use rom manager it won't really do anything for this phone besides let you rename your backup just manually boot into recovery or use a reboot app like quickboot :-)

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Devicive View Post
    I was wondering if when I access the internet other programs still run consuming processor resources and if so is there a way to put in a block once I activate the internet?
    Try DroidWall or similar firewall apps and maybe an auto task killer :-)

So if I root my score, will I be able to install the google voice app? If not could anybody recommend a VOIP app so I won't have to deal with the crappy reception and dropped calls when I'm at home?

@Degnr8:
    You can install google voice and csipsimple without rooting - they are blocked in market by zte rules, but they install fine. you just need to get the apks on your phone. I found them using google search (found googlevoice.apk on xdadevelopers.com, csipsimple on code.google.com/p/csipsimple).

You don't need to install google voice on your phone. it is not a SIP client. it is good for notifications though.

Search for "google voice" AND csipsimple AND pbxes. you will find the instructions to use pbxes.org and google voice internet services through the csipsimple SIP client on your phone. You may check csipsimple on google groups as well they may have instructions there.

Good luck.
    Brian

This is the first I've heard of sip and I'm a little confused. Sipsimple says it's a client, but you still need a provider. Could I use GV as the provider? If I just go to the GV site on my phone or launch the app won't it then make VOIP calls through whatever wifi connection I have?

Actually, I did a search with all of those terms (which I'm guessing is what you had in mind) and figured it out. PBXes signup was really simple then the wizard with csipsimple was, well, simple. Thanks Brian
    Last edited by Degnr8; 06-15-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Update

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information