Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Question Can I increase ringing time / duration until caller is sent to my voicemail?

First of all I currently have two Cricket lines, and my primary line is with a flashed Samsung Epic 4G that's working great. I don't know if I ever even had to fiddle with the ring duration on it. It's probably at the same duration as my second line, which is being shared with my slowpoke father.

So a few days ago, got the second phone direct from a corporate store (Samsung Comment {SCH R-380}) and this is for my pops and I to share when we travel or make business trips. Picked it pretty strictly for phone/SMS functionality and awesome standby time / battery life, and it's this line that needs a longer ring duration.

In fact, I'd even be willing to completely disable voicemail, if that'd make sure my phone could ring for more than ~15 seconds.

Please let me know if I can make either change through a hidden menu or a service change request.. as I've already searched carefully through both the basic paper and the online PDF manual for the Samsung Comment, and I don't see a way to do this; nor could I find information on Cricket's website.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 2.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Actually, coincidentally, my dad made a huge move, he FINALLY disconnected the landline and got a LG flip phone with "a whole bunch of buttons". It'd ring and he'd say, WHATS THAT NOISE? Id tell em UR PHONE. He'd panic and say WHAT DO I DO! But after about 12sec it stopped ringing, he said, I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH TIME TO PUT MY GLASSES ON AND FIGURE HOW TO ANSWER THIS PHONE. Then......(vmail tone). He was so pissed with the whoooole 2min process and button pressing just to hear his brother say CALL ME. He told me, CAN U TAKE THE VMAIL OFF SO IT'LL KEEP RINGING LIKE THE PHONE I HAD IN THE HOUSE. So my buddy called the cellular company and after about 12min, his phone rings till either he answers it, battery dies, or they hang up. Try calling ur provider and request that ur vmail be taken off ur service plan.

Overall activity: 12.0%

Honesty with texting i don't see the need for voice mail at all.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Omg i need this! 1. I HATE F**KING VM AND THE ICON! 2. my phone usually rings a millisecond before they go to VM

Sent from my M886

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

I just got off the phone after a call to 611. The friendly Filipino rep did his best to find out of he could change the ring duration for me, and said there didn't seem to be any option he could change either (I told him I already tried to do this myself on the phone's settings and in the VM call-in customization menu).
    He also seemed surprised/apologetic he could not disable the VM from my plan either.

I'm going to assume I need to go to a corporate store to get this changed, because I had a similar issue last summer but the tech I spoke to then told me something to the effect of "I believe what you're asking can be done, it just can't be done by dialing 611".

Please tell me if there's an alternate number I can call that I overlooked! I'd much rather avoid a special trip to a corporate shop!

edit:
    Texting isn't the answer either, the only text my dad would be tempted to send is "Just give me a danged phone call." Plus we can't really utilize texting on it as we're sharing the phone. He's already used to FB for things that can be handled that way.
    I do all my texting on my Android phone as far as my own uses.

Disabling voice mail and just using "Missed Call" log / CallerID seems like the only solution that can be provided in the next 24 hours (I'm traveling tomorrow, I'd like it fixed before my train leaves ^_^)
    Last edited by exangel; 06-25-2012 at 11:13 PM.

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by exangel View Post
    I just got off the phone after a call to 611. The friendly Filipino rep did his best to find out of he could change the ring duration for me, and said there didn't seem to be any option he could change either (I told him I already tried to do this myself on the phone's settings and in the VM call-in customization menu).
    He also seemed surprised/apologetic he could not disable the VM from my plan either.

I'm going to assume I need to go to a corporate store to get this changed, because I had a similar issue last summer but the tech I spoke to then told me something to the effect of "I believe what you're asking can be done, it just can't be done by dialing 611".

Please tell me if there's an alternate number I can call that I overlooked! I'd much rather avoid a special trip to a corporate shop!

edit:
    Texting isn't the answer either, the only text my dad would be tempted to send is "Just give me a danged phone call." Plus we can't really utilize texting on it as we're sharing the phone. He's already used to FB for things that can be handled that way.
    I do all my texting on my Android phone as far as my own uses.

Disabling voice mail and just using "Missed Call" log / CallerID seems like the only solution that can be provided in the next 24 hours (I'm traveling tomorrow, I'd like it fixed before my train leaves ^_^)
    As far as I know, there is no way to change the ring time before going to voice mail. I know it is not in the VM settings and not available to us dealers or to the corporate store employees to change.

I was told it is based on time connected to the call and NOT the actual number of rings you hear. By this I mean: If I call you and you don't answer in say 2 minutes, then the call goes to voicemail even if you only hear 2 rings and I hear 5. I was told this by an AT&T network engineer. I don't know how things are set up, I am only repeating what I was told by someone who manages wireless networks.
    *Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by short6in View Post
    As far as I know, there is no way to change the ring time before going to voice mail. I know it is not in the VM settings and not available to us dealers or to the corporate store employees to change.

I was told it is based on time connected to the call and NOT the actual number of rings you hear. By this I mean: If I call you and you don't answer in say 2 minutes, then the call goes to voicemail even if you only hear 2 rings and I hear 5. I was told this by an AT&T network engineer. I don't know how things are set up, I am only repeating what I was told by someone who manages wireless networks.
    Your engineer was right. This is set up on the company(switch) side. I know this was modifiable on an old Nortel switch in table cellcust when the HLR was internal to the MTX. I imagine its still an option per customer in any HLR, but the question is if the software the reps at stores/611 utilize it is what maters. I am assuming its just set to a default for every customer.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Thanks for the insight!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Thanks for the responses, I seem to have failed to make my request clear if there's a number I can call to completely disable the voicemail rather than going to a corporate store though.

However, at this time it seems we're 99% certain on simply cancelling the line since my father decided to get a Jitterbug phone.

Hope someone will answer about whether there's a number to call other than 611 where voicemail can actually be removed from a bundle aside from showing up at a corporate store, even if it won't help me I'm sure others could benefit.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

there is no other number to call for cricket really. your local corporate store may be able to file a "trouble ticket" for the engineers to look at and it will take a while. jitterbug sounds perfect for your old man. it has services designed specifically for seniors. it is only a little more expensive.

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

I have a question which falls in the same category as my original post ultimately -- is it possible to have conditional call forwarding enabled on my account?

I tried to set up Youmail (the pro/subscription version) on my Android phone because I really like the services they offer, but I wasn't able to get it running on my own. They had some guidelines for Cricket users but they all seemed outdated and nothing worked. I looked on the various support options on Cricket's official site and could only find Unconditional Call Forwarding (instant forwarding) and Busy Call Forwarding, if I remember correctly.

I have a question which falls in the same category as my original post ultimately -- is it possible to have conditional call forwarding enabled on my account?

I tried to set up Youmail (the pro/subscription version) on my Android phone because I really like the services they offer, but I wasn't able to get it running on my own. They had some guidelines for Cricket users but they all seemed outdated and nothing worked. I looked on the various support options on Cricket's official site and could only find Unconditional Call Forwarding (instant forwarding) and Busy Call Forwarding, if I remember correctly.
    Wow this is a late response, sorry I never caught this when it was fresh. This works around here for forwarding to another voicemail number..
    CFNA (Call forward no answer) = *74XXXXXXXXXX

Replace the X's with the number that you want it to forward to when you do not answer.

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Thanks.. still doesn't work with Youmail's 888 number I am on the Android $55 plan.

edit: I tried dialing *74 and entering the 888 forwarding number manually, and it said "The Feature Code you have entered is not valid." then a string of other things.

edit 2: am in El Paso, area code 915 if that has anything to do with it not working. since it works for you?
    Last edited by exangel; 08-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Thanks.. still doesn't work with Youmail's 888 number I am on the Android $55 plan.

edit: I tried dialing *74 and entering the 888 forwarding number manually, and it said "The Feature Code you have entered is not valid." then a string of other things.

edit 2: am in El Paso, area code 915 if that has anything to do with it not working. since it works for you?
    I used to get that recording when I tried to forward to a non-supported telephone number. Can you try *74 and use a local number? If it works, then it is the number, if not, then it is the feature.....
    *Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

I would love to give that a try once I find out what the code is to disable CFNA also. (I'll look it up, and add that info for the thread when I have a result.)

edit: Based on the way other codes work it seems the code is *740

I attempted to forward to a local number by entering *74 with my local number which is on MagicJack. I was immediately disconnected and did not hear an error. I don't know if this means it worked or didn't work.. but is definitely different from what happens when I attempt to activate CFNA with Youmail's 888 number. (Your call cannot be completed as dialed is the one I got just now. Troubleshooting in Youmail's help site says I might need to have a stronger signal.. I get 2-3 bars at my apartment but think the advice is bunk.)

I don't have a convenient way to test by calling myself this evening. I'll see if a friend can call me to verify though.
    Last edited by exangel; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Thread Information