Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Painfully slow 3g speeds

So I noticed my phone was loading Pandora/updating apps/broswing internet a lot slower lately (don't remember when the slowness started exactly). I recently ran a speed test and I am showing a .05Mb down and .08Mb up.

As recently as the 6th, I tested at .5Mb down and .26Mb up (which is normal for me). I am running an Android phone (Samsung Fascinate) on the $45 plan, and in my account the phone is listed as CPE - Feature Phone. Looking at my data counter widget, I've never hit over 700MB in a month, and am only at 200MB this month.

I've tried different PRLs and no change.

Thoughts?

2. Remove this advertisement.

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

that is what you get for running $45 plan, dont be cheap go with $55 plan

What I get with the $45 plan that has worked fine for years is that suddenly, one month my speed drops to 10% of what it was?

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Have you gone to another part of your city and run speed test there? I am having this problem and I'm on the $55 plan. At home, I can't get more than 115kbps or so. (El Paso, TX, near Zaragosa & North Loop) If I go to a different part of town, about 5 miles away (Super Target @ Joe Battle & Zaragosa) I got speeds somewhere around 1500 kbps, and just over 200 upstream: enough to run Skype video on my phone, without any quality issues. I use 3G Watchdog Pro and I have only used about 25 MB since the beginning of my billing cycle because I'm almost always on WiFi at home. But I've been trying to make sure that I can tether if my cable goes out, and I'm getting horrible speeds at my home =(

It must have been something with the network because it started working fine a couple of days later. I have since switched to Straight Talk though (the switch was planned before the slow speeds, I was just curious why the speeds were low now). Now I get 3-4Mbs

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Thanks, I'm hoping my own resolves within a few days. I wouldn't know who to complain to if it persists longer than a week.

My internet at home is stable but when the monsoons hit in about a month I sure would like to be able to tether my laptop...
    I temporarily have an iPhone 3GS on AT&T (but I can't use it for my own service, it's for family use only) and I did a side-by-side speedtest here at my apartment. The average speed on my iPhone is higher than my Epic was across town, 3GS is nearly hitting 2mb/s.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Not only diff parts of town but diff times of day will have diff speeds.

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Over the past 2 days I've been testing my local connection though. Speeds ranging between 43 and 126 kbps (11 to 74kbps upstream). Pings are all showing up over 800ms. I would like to believe this indicates something is really not working as intended as this is unusable as a backup (hotspot) connection.
    All of the tests I have at "good" towers give me pings under 135ms (lowest is 90) and speeds between 653 and 2366 down, and 117 to 314 up (got a 388 up once, but it's an outlier..)

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

Define "PAINFULLY SLOW"

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
    Define "PAINFULLY SLOW"
    Well I'm not the original poster, who's no longer experiencing the problem, and I thought I already gave a pretty good definition of what's painfully slow (my current speeds). But I can define what my utterly basic needs are.

Downstream has to be more than 256kbps for me to use websites not designed for mobile phones (without starting to pull my hair out). On my laptop, I use Ghostery to block as much advertising as possible and that helps with slow speeds.

Upstream ideally has to be at least 70 kbps I guess, but this requirement is only useful if the Ping is under 500 or, ideally, under 250.
    I'd like for it to be more, because I occasionally take photos and use Dropbox on my phone to sync them.. the faster the speeds, the less time the transfer takes, and this could conceivably reduce battery drain. Real-world this hasn't been a problem because I've had better speeds in areas where I wanted to sync photos and there was no Wi-Fi.

I have definitely gotten better speeds than this before, even in the area I'm currently in, but I haven't done a Speedtest here since late Spring so I don't even know how long these bad speeds have been going on. I just did another side-by-side test which you can see below. I don't expect Cricket to give me AT&T speeds but I'd really like to know who I should contact about this particular area getting awful speeds at all times of day. In these results, this is one of the worst ping times I've gotten so far.

Cricket (Flashed Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G) two to three (of six) bars:
    Code:
    Test Date: Aug 20, 2012 1:12:13 pm
    Connection Type: 1xRTT
    Server: El Paso, TX
    Download: 109 kbps
    Upload: 40 kbps
    Ping: 919 ms
    External IP: 69.171.160.3
    Internal IP: 10.156.187.3
    Latitude: 31.71288

Longitude: -106.30773
    AT&T (iPhone 3GS 16GB) with two to three (of five) bars:
    Code:
    Test Date: Aug 20, 2012 1:20 PM
    Connection Type: Cellular
    Server: El Paso, TX
    Download: 2456 kbps
    Upload: 145 kbps
    Ping: 327 ms

External IP: 166.147.123.160
    Internal IP: 10.161.12.64
    Latitude: 31.7120
    Longitude: -106.3233
    For what it's worth I have never even gone past 800 MB in a month (I traveled a lot that month) and I'm usually under 100 MB. I have never even been throttled as far as I know. As I said before I'm on the $55 Android plan. I have SVTP for tethering which is something I only use in emergencies and for internet when I travel, but I'd pay the extra $10 fee for tethering with Flexbucket if I absolutely had to. I haven't actually tethered this phone this month at all.

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

*post removed by mod due to reports*
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 08-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Overall activity: 2.0%

I'm in San Diego on $45 plan and my max DL is 100KB/S on 3G. I use to average around 500KB/S DL on the same plan. Something changed. Is it possible that this is due to Cricket updating their network to 4G?

Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Quote Originally Posted by Seonji View Post
    I'm in San Diego on $45 plan and my max DL is 100KB/S on 3G. I use to average around 500KB/S DL on the same plan. Something changed. Is it possible that this is due to Cricket updating their network to 4G?
    For San Diego that makes sense. Tucson seems to already be covered as I saw a lot of promos last time I went there and it shows up as being in the 4G LTE covered area on Cricket's website.

I have been having this problem a week now and I just got off the phone after calling *611 and getting absolutely nowhere with the Tech Support rep. He kept repeating that the problem is caused by using a flashed phone even when I told him my speeds are still great 5 miles north of my apartment. And he confirmed I am not throttled. (I've only used 55mb since the beginning of my billing cycle and it's been mostly on speed tests.) I also went for a drive to the East this evening after the storm abated, and got the same speeds in other zip codes. It's only the more urban parts of El Paso where I've been able to get my expected 600 to 1500+ kbps this past week.

I've updated my PRL to no avail, and the first monsoon storm of the season hit earlier today and knocked out my power (and consequently my cable internet) for a few minutes right in the middle of talking with a client on Skype. I'll probably be visiting the nearest corporate Cricket store on Saturday to make sure they can verify if there's a problem in my area. The reps that I've spoken to at that office seem totally professional and I don't expect to get parroted with "you have to buy a Cricket phone" because of how much they promote switching to Cricket via flashing in this area.

I'll update if someone at the corporate store can give me a straight answer. If I remember to, I'll even ask about San Diego.

I'm going to a corporate store on Saturday myself to ask some questions about the data speed drop. I looked at my past results using the Speed Test app and noticed that something changed during the past two weeks or so. I thought it was from using 3G in an area with a lot of phone user congestion (tower overload) but then noticed that the speeds were still low no matter what part of the city I was in.

The Speed Test results were interesting because the DL speed would go higher into the 200's or 300KB/S range for two or three seconds right at the beginning then drop back down to 100KB/s and sometimes down as low as 45 KB/s for the remainder of the test. I also updated my PRL via *228 but this didn't help either. If I find anything at corporate I'll keep you posted also.

Update: I went to corporate today to find out what was happening with my 3G and I found out something that I should have known but didn't. On the $45 plan the data limit before throttling is only 200MB during the entire month and I had already exceeded that limit just on regular web usage and updates for my apps from the market. I always thought the cap was 1GB because that was what I read in the old TOS but it's been updated to show exactly what you get per month based on your plan. The $55 android plan is better because it does give you the full 1GB of data per month but I read that there is a daily limit of 120MB before throttling you on that plan. There are posts on HOFO that talk about Cricket migrating to more restrictive data plan structures because smart phones use up a ton of data and they want to maximize profits by reigning in what data they actually provide. I'm starting to think that another service provider might be worth looking at particularly if Cricket decides to really clamp down on data usage. So no, the problems with my data were not related to network upgrades at all. Ooops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information