Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Well thanks for letting me know. I may not be able to go to the corporate store til Sunday but I'll update if there's more information or my problem resolves. I'm still running nightly tests and have not gotten speeds to exceed 120 kilobits/s, or ping under 800ms (been in the 900-1000+ range the past couple days actually) but uploads are still decent, between 60 and 90 kilobits/s or so.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Aug 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Epic

Wink

I went to the corporate store today, unfortunately got a sales person who gave me 20 minutes of hot air about flashed phones. That aside, he did actually help me a little bit. I'm getting great ping times (avg 170ms), acceptable downstream speeds, (200-400kbps) but now my upstream is terrible in my home area (consistently under 25kbps). I'm gonna give it a few days and try testing at off hours to other servers in the region. Once again, my speed tests at the corporate store and near downtown El Paso were pretty good (850kbps to 1094kbps), good enough for 2-way Skype video again.

Here's what actually happened aside from the conversation:

• I asked him to change the phone listed in my account profile, as it was listing a different brand from what I have.
    • He changed it to Samsung Transfix (my choice) as that is the "closest" phone to what I have (Epic 4G); they're both running Gingerbread and they're both slide + touch phones made by Samsung.
    • I had told him I thought this might change the results of updating the PRL based on what I read.
    • He took my phone to the back room as he told me he needed to reprogram it (and I don't know why he'd have to do anything but update the PRL but I didn't ask, I wanted out of there).
    • I stuck around after he finished and ran a speed test to make sure I was still getting data service on the spot. All was well.

For now I'm at a point where I will be able to use it as an emergency back-up Skype client at home, at least for IMs when power is out. It's not quite fast enough right now for tethering but it can hold me over until: another solution comes up, the local tower is fixed, or if I can find someone in my area to test a real Cricket android phone with 3G side by side with mine. I am not going to replace my phone unless I can have proof it will fix this one localized problem, and I wish the guy who helped me didn't waste so much of my time and his effort telling me that this problem is "probably" "my fault" for using my own supplied phone (ARRGH).

edit:
    After midnight & I've done a couple more speed tests to major regional hubs, and something weird surfaced. Now, I've run speedtests to these hubs before I went through the trouble previously stated, and my service was poor regardless of my speed test target server. New tests are showing the weak upstream performance to the closest servers - El Paso & Juarez (Cablemas) but I got 60-190 kbps upstream with servers over 100mi away (Albuquerque, Tucson, and Pima AZ) so I am getting average and above acceptable performance now. Just not expected performance to local speed test servers. I'm sure Skype and running a hotspot will work out as it would elsewhere in the city at my current speeds and that's all I wanted to be "fixed".
    Last edited by exangel; 08-27-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Resolution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information