Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    Nov 2010

Angry Text message (receivng) outage occurring same days EVERY month

First, I have been a Cricket customer since 2010. I recall times when I thought text messages seemed slow or maybe I wasn't receiving them. This summer, however, I have had a few EMERGENCY situations when I did not receive messages for 1-2 days. Because of the situations I know the exact dates and soon recognized it was the exact same days of the month for multiple months. There is no way this can be a coincidence. Has anyone else EVER heard of this happening? Seems like it has to be widespread. Note I can SEND texts at these time I just don't receive them until 1-2 days when I get a flood of old texts. I can all send and receive calls during the entire time.

Details - I have a cheap phone, ZTE Altair, on the cheapest monthly plan. On May 22 a girl friend was scheduled for a much needed a root canal. She doesn't have a car and didn't have all the money to pay for the surgery. She was expecting me to drive her and lend her the rest of the money for the surgery. On the 21st I was texting her to finalize the details and wondering why she wasn't replying. On the morning of the 22nd still nothing from her so I'm texting trying to find her and she if she is ok, etc. Finally she calls crying wanting to know why I am not answering the questions in HER texts to me and bringing the money. Eventually I meet her at the doctor and she shows me all the texts she has sent, and I show her I didn't receive any of them. I texted a friend asking him to send me a test message - nothing. I called Cricket who had me remove the battery and SIM card on my phone - nothing. So the service person "resets" my phone from their end and all the texts start pouring in.

Fast forward to JUNE 21. Same thing happens. I'm texting with several friends and trying to help one out. I notice I don't seem to be getting replies after a while. It's a weekend so I go by the Cricket store I use all the time. They can't figure it out, but removing the battery and SIM card works. I start getting messages again.

On to July, it happens AGAIN, although it wasn't an emergency and I wasn't paying as much attention. From my records the outage seemed to be on July 26 & 27 which is slightly off, but I definitely did not receive messages for parts of 2 days. I tried the battery and SIM card but it didn't help. I got online, very aggravated, with support who resets my phone. I'm pissed, but he ASSURES me he has it fixed and says it will NEVER happen again.

So on to August 21st. I'm texting with the friend who I am supposed to meet that afternoon in a new area. Yep, I stop getting replies. This time I was using a Google Voice # forwarded to my Cricket line so I know exactly when the text stopped working. I received the text they sent at 1:29pm CDT but not the one sent at 1:34pm. I didn't receive any texts from anyone the rest of that day or for all of August 22nd. I tried removing the battery and SIM card several times. Finally just after midnight of the 22nd, the old text start coming in. It was literally 12:02am on the 23rd, and they started coming in without me doing anything to the phone at that time.

So that's my long story. Any thoughts, ideas, or similar problems??

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1. what are your apn settings now?
    2. clear your cache and mms data.
    3. install a third party app like textra or chomp and use that app to overide the apn settings. see if that helps or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Nov 2010

Complete newbie here regarding most anything with cell technology. I'll have to figure out what 1 & 2 mean. The phone is on the most basic plan which doesn't support mms. Also, It is not a smart phone so does #3 about the apps apply? And I guess I only get 1 shot a month to see if something works and even then I probably wouldn't know for sure.
    Last edited by Jim-atx; 09-15-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2010

The access point in my connection settings says "ndo".

It is running BrewMP 1.0.4.470 and the phone software version is Z433v1.5.0

Gold Member

Ohhh, a different operating system than android.

1.Ok read your manual. look at page 43 under "access point". Edit your AP if thats what it takes to open it up and see the info(but dont change anything). List the info here.

2. Page 22, reset your "retrival setting" (re-enter the same or different info) and experiment with the "connection" option from MMS to WAP and back and forth to see if anything helps.

3. if you have a zillion messages saved then delete them all.

https://www.zteusa.com/media/wysiwyg..._-_1.22MB_.pdf

Last edited by wiseoldman; 09-16-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2010

Sorry, I got locked out of here and sidetracked for a while. I'm not sure how realistic debugging this is.

On the questions:
    1. The access point in my connection settings says "ndo". When I select "View" on that the information displayed is:
    Name - "ndo"
    APN - "ndo"
    Authentication - "None"
    User Name - (is blank)
    Password - (is blank)

2: Again, my plan with Cricket does not have MMS (or data). Looking at the Settings though,

Retrieval Settings - "Auto" (the other option is "Manual")
    Connection - "internet" (no other options)

3. I have just under 2000 messages saved - would that be considered a zillion?
    I really don't want to delete them.

An update on experience the past 2 weeks:
    9/16 - stopped receiving texts; removed battery/SIM and it started working
    9/17 - stopped receiving texts; removed battery/SIM did not work; took it to Cricket and they replaced the SIM card
    9/21 - stopped receiving texts on the 21st as in previous months, but given all the other outages the date probably doesn't mean much; removed battery/SIM and it started working
    9/25- stopped receiving texts; removed battery/SIM and it started working
    10/5 - stopped receiving texts; removed battery/SIM and it started working; some texts fromearlier in the day came in about 4 hours after resetting

Gold Member

im guessing here that your zillion of texts are stored in your SIM and its reaching max storage or design abilities to handle that volume. or that the text database is a little corrupt. try googling the problem with your phone model to see if a zillion text messes up the SIM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Nov 2010

The stored message could be the issue. I'm not sure how many I had months ago when I noticed the problem. For a while I thought I could use a microSD card to increase the storage, but the phone can't store SMS messages there. Only MMS and pics.

I couldn't find anything with searches. I did find this thread on page 4 or 5 of one google search result. Apparently problems with Cricket texts are not that common. And I'm guessing the ZTE Altair is not a high volume phone for them.

Thanks for the effort. If it ever stops working at a time when I can go by the Cricket store I will try that.

Thread Information