Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Full Flash Verizon Motorola Droid 4 to Cricket Wireless (talk, text, MMS, Internet)

This phone is probably a good choice for those who have to write long e-mails on the go. Anyone who loves a keyboard might want to look into it. Not the best screen, but it could be a very productive device for the right individual.

I suggest you already have an active Cricket account on the Android plan prior to starting this. Personally, I don't flash phones unless I can manually place a phone number and MIN on the device. If you need to start an account, please consider visiting your local authorized dealer.

As with most phones, I consider getting into DIAG mode the most important step when even thinking about flashing a phone.

Video

DIAG Mode

- Download Motorola Drivers:
    MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers

Install the drivers above if you have not already.

Usually with these newer devices, I'd use BP Tools to access the device. This is done similar to the same way you'd get the phone ready to SBF. Have a USB cable plugged in only to the computer. Hold down both volume keys on the Droid 4 and plug it in. Use the down volume to scroll down in the menu and the up volume to select.

HOWEVER

Even with the proper drivers installed, I could not access the phone from QPST or CDMA Workshop. Here comes in trust old HW Serial Port. Install this and put the Droid 4 in PC Mode (connect with USB cord first).

HW Serial Port

screenshot-2_14_2012-10_38_41-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_41_17-am.png

1. Download Virtual Serial Port single port free version here:
      HW VSP (Virtual Serial Port) - Free Virtual Serial Port to connect any TCP/IP Terminal server to your Windows as a virtual serial port

2. Install Virtual Serial Port. Open the program.
    3. Virtual Serial Port tab > Hit login button (password is the default one so just continue), IP address = 192.168.16.2, Port 11008
    4. Settings Tab > uncheck NVT Enabled
    5. Go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab and hit create com. Status of VSP should change to opened and LAN should eventually change to Connected. Give it time. If LAN changes to Error then delete the COM and try to retrace your steps.

TIP: If you do establish a connection, remember that if this connection is physically broken (USB pulled out of computer or device), you might have to restart your computer to be able to reestablish the connection. Just leave everything plugged up and in PC Mode until the device performs as you want it to.
    CMDA Workshop

CDMA Workshop is required to send NV items to your Droid. You may be able to just send NV items to the device with CDMA Ware's free NV item sender (
    http://cdma-ware.com/workshop/nv-ite...der_writer.rar

).

NV items are available here: droid_radio_unlock.zip <-- obtained from whiterabbit.org

cdma1.pngcdma2.pngcdma3.pngcdma4.png

Instructions below are for CDMA Workshop though. The R-RIM step might not be required.

1. Open CDMA Workshop.
    2. Connect to the port your device is on (HW Serial Port, port number unless you were able to use BP Tools to establish a port)
    3. Go to the security tab > SPC > type 000000 > hit SPC button > send. You should get a message that the SPC is correct.
    4. Go to memory tab > hit write > locate nv items and send them to the device. You should get a message that they were sent to the device.
    5. Go to the Other tab > change R-UIM config to NV only > hit read > once the process is complete hit write.
    6. Close CDMA Workshop. No need to reset the device even though CDMA WS will prompt you and make that option available.

QPST Screenshots (every screen used or not)

Config

screenshot-2_14_2012-4_04_09-pm.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-4_04_27-pm.png

NOTE: QPST and CDMA WS cannot be open at the same type.
    Open QPST configuration if you have not added the port before. Click Add New Port and find the Droid 4. You might have to uncheck the box as seen in the picture to find the appropriate port. Once you've added it, click it, and then go to start clients. Scroll down and click Service Programming.

Service Programming

screenshot-2_14_2012-4_03_37-pm.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_41_53-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_42_04-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_42_37-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_42_46-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_43_03-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_43_17-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_43_29-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_43_39-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_43_50-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_44_11-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_44_24-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_44_40-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_44_53-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_45_07-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_47_23-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_47_56-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_48_20-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_48_57-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_49_10-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_49_30-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_50_20-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_49_55-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_50_11-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_49_41-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_50_32-am.pngscreenshot-2_14_2012-10_50_44-am.png

You cannot read and write like other devices. If you have been flashing for a little while, you can see that we are faced with more challenges now (with LTE devices).

Select your phone from the list and click okay. That screen should disappear and another should appear. Follow the screenshots above and enter your information.

NOTE: Directory number is your phone number and IMSI_S is your MIN. Any modification to your directory number will change the IMSI_S field so make sure you type that in LAST.
    PRLs for the ROAM tab can be found here: http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...rl-thread.html

Once you are complete, hit "Write to Phone" and give it time to send everything.

3G Stability

This whole section will be a major topic of concern. It's always hard to pinpoint what might be causing any instability. I have to travel outside my apt and test this.. It could be a PRL, tower in my area or something else that is causing problems. Data works well for the most part. When the phone is asleep for a while it can go out though. You turn it back on and the logo is there, but the 3G cycles upon a request for data. Then it's back up and running again.

Change the operating mode: Settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks > Network mode (CDMA only) and System select (automatic)

---EVERYTHING BELOW IS FOR TESTING---

I'm not sure if the first part matters. I try a million things to troubleshoot. There are so many combinations of settings it boggles my mind. If you do both steps it should work.

1. Go to the dialer, dial ##program then talk, enter 000000, go to LTE test settings, SIM type, set to 3G test UICC, hit apply, and back out all the way.
    2. Use APN Backup and Restore to backup current APNs. Use Anycut to make a shortcut to APNs. Delete all APNs. EDIT: Restored backed up APNs. Not the solution?

--END--

ESN Change

After the phone reboots, you'll probably be ready to test it out a little. Remember that our supporting members get free ESN changes...

If you're a supporting members please go here: Services

If you're not click here or visit your local authorized Cricket dealer.

MMS

This was handled by mraab's $5 solution. Modified APNs with no luck. Upload adddress changed to 111111 with no luck either.

Perfect MMS setup for me was:

1. mraabhimself MMS solution - Of course disable stock app notifications as it suggests, actually froze stock MMS app using Titanium Backup (rooted of course)
    2. SMS Time Fix - Not sure if text time stamps were correct. Common sometimes with different MMS apps.
    3. Light Flow Lite - This is to get LED notifications back.

PROXY

Pushing u2nl and autostart fails. Permission denied even with the phone rooted. Manually setting it up using Root Explorer doesn't allow for correct operation either. If you're on the Android plan it will route through the proxy, however if you drop it down to the 45 plan, you'll incur problems. The Android OS proxy setting will allow for web browsing only (no Market, no use of apps that require Internet).

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 03-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Updated with video.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Excellent write-up and video guide. I've flashed several phones to cricket so most of the steps I could do blindfolded but there are some differences with the LTE phones so it's nice to have a current and relevant guide. As far as APNs go these are what I use on my Droid 1 and I have no idea if they'll make a difference on any LTE phones but nonetheless here's the link:
    Cricket APNs Droid

From what I can tell APNs on my Droid 1 only really make the MMS work. I read that u2nl and autostart.sh don't work isn't that because by default these devices do not have iptables enabled in the kernel or is there a way to enable iptables with a rom or hack? Anyway, just wanted to say kudos.

Phone
    Galaxy 2

I started flashing the Droid 4 to cricket for a customer and got halfway through qpst to realize That I was supposed to flash the phone to Page plus; I used the magic flashing software to flash the phone to page plus but it wont work, the only thing I can really think of is I wrote the cricket NV Items. Does anyone no of a work around, will a factory reset rewrite the nv items back?

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Thanks for posting this tutorial, I have filled in all the required information and when i write to the phone i get a qpst error "spc_change_enabled_1" Now i have unchecked the box and i still continue to get the same error.. Does anyone have any idea why this is happeneing. On a side note also, How would i obtain my meid from this device, all it shows me is a imei?

Phone
    Galaxy S3

UPDATE: Had to the the cdma workshop settings a couple of times!! Side note: Wheni did write the qpst settings my phone had a red slash through the signal. I tried over and over to program the phone qith qpst with no avail until i decided to get a paygo prl . Now its time for an esn Change.. Thanks everyone for all you steps they were reatly appreciated.

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

I've got talk, text, and 3G working on cricket's $45 plan! Now it's just a matter of getting MMS working. Thanks again for this tutorial.
    Last edited by xsylus; 05-25-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Droid 4

Im getting same error in QPST that cooltownaz described "spc_change_enabled_1". Been rewriting nv items with free sender and with CDMA workshop. Any ideas???

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWay View Post
    Im getting same error in QPST that cooltownaz described "spc_change_enabled_1". Been rewriting nv items with free sender and with CDMA workshop. Any ideas???
    I think I got that error too. My method for programming is slightly different than this tutorial because I was part of the first thread dealing with getting the Droid 1 on cricket. What I recommend is going to the whiterabbit.org/android site and downloading both the radio unlock mentioned in this thread as well as created the nv items files. You don't need to put your actual number in the box just use 10 zeros and it will generate the nv items. After you flash the radio unlock flash the nv items. It doesn't seem to matter if all 12 flash or if only 11 of the nv items write successfully. After that qpst should show a generic MDN@mycricket.com from there you can enter in your MIN and MDN as well as the cricket password as this guide suggests. After that the only error qpst should give you is the same one seen in the video. Hope that helps.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

@xsylus go in you cdma workshop, i used 2.7. Click read with the correct port. Now click on the security tab and send the SPC "000000" now click on other. Now look at the bottom right corner os the screen you should see R-UIM... Now click on R-UIM only then click read after it reads, then click on NV only then click write. After its done, click on the memory tab and send your "Droid Unlock radio" nv items. Qpst should work fine from this point

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Another question: I get 3G working with my apn settings but when I use wifi and then switch back to 3G it won't connect and it doesn't turn blue. Any ideas on better apn settings? I've tried a ton of various cricket apn settings from different online sources and none seem to work. Maybe it 's not just the apn but something else going on in the background. Maybe it has something to do with being near a wireless hotspot.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    Another question: I get 3G working with my apn settings but when I use wifi and then switch back to 3G it won't connect and it doesn't turn blue. Any ideas on better apn settings? I've tried a ton of various cricket apn settings from different online sources and none seem to work. Maybe it 's not just the apn but something else going on in the background. Maybe it has something to do with being near a wireless hotspot.
    Are on a $45 or $55 plan?
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Are on a $45 or $55 plan?
    $45 plan. It's so weird, when I'm at work I switch my phone to airplane mode and on my breaks I switch it back on and the 3G works. But as soon as I use my wifi at home the 3G won't connect.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Droid 4

being trying what you described xsylus to no avail. I dont know what the problem could be. Same error in QPST about NV

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Also in cdma workshop 2.7 when i read R-UIM is say "Success, R-UIM Config successfully has been read. Failed Verification #1 has not been read. Failed Verification #2 has not been read.

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWay View Post
    being trying what you described xsylus to no avail. I dont know what the problem could be. Same error in QPST about NV

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Also in cdma workshop 2.7 when i read R-UIM is say "Success, R-UIM Config successfully has been read. Failed Verification #1 has not been read. Failed Verification #2 has not been read.
    The R-UIM should be set to NV Only and written to the phone.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information