Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I figured it out, Thank you!!!!

I had to change the com port from 28 to 3 in Device Manger because 28 isn't in CDMA. I also had to turn it off and on to keep make sure the QPST didn't read it as busy.
    I am running into this same problem, did as she did but it still comes up with that same error message

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 0%

I'm trying to upgrade from my flashed R2-D2 to a Droid 4.

Does the SIM card have to be present when flashing? Mine didn't come with one.

My phone is on the latest OTA rom. I could not for the life of me get this phone to work with HW Serial Port. I was able to get it connected to QPST using BP Tools, though. When I read from the phone it has a blank directory # along with some other blank fields. After filling everything in, I get an error pretty quickly indicating that "The phone returned a failure status during the read or write operation." Then the NV item with the error is "NV_DIR_NUMBER_1[0]" with a status of "NV_FAIL_S". CDMA Workshop couldn't seem to write to this field either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by captaincatalyst; 04-15-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Overall activity: 3.0%

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

I'm pretty sure it requires/expects a sim card for the LTE even though when it's flashed it currently only works on 3G. My Droid 4 has a sim card in it. You can buy new sim cards on ebay fairly cheap just make sure you get the right size for your phone. You don't need HWVSP with the Droid 4, just have to boot in with the BP Tools option on and make sure the correct drivers are installed then check the com port and get QPST and CDMA WS to connect to the com port. There's a very important step with CDMA WS to change the R-UIM to NV Only.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    I'm pretty sure it requires/expects a sim card for the LTE even though when it's flashed it currently only works on 3G. My Droid 4 has a sim card in it. You can buy new sim cards on ebay fairly cheap just make sure you get the right size for your phone. You don't need HWVSP with the Droid 4, just have to boot in with the BP Tools option on and make sure the correct drivers are installed then check the com port and get QPST and CDMA WS to connect to the com port. There's a very important step with CDMA WS to change the R-UIM to NV Only.
    I'm pretty sure I've made the changes needed with CDMA Workshop, including changing to NV Only. Even after that I can't get anything to write to the Directory #... Is that value actually on the SIM card and that's why I can't write anything to it? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Phone
    Droid 4 - $45 plan

Quote Originally Posted by captaincatalyst View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've made the changes needed with CDMA Workshop, including changing to NV Only. Even after that I can't get anything to write to the Directory #... Is that value actually on the SIM card and that's why I can't write anything to it? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    The directory should be your full 10 digit phone number. Have you tried changing it to your phone number in QPST and does it still say it can't write? I'm pretty sure the phone number is stored on the SIM because when I go to About on my phone it doesn't show my real phone number it shows a different one.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    The directory should be your full 10 digit phone number. Have you tried changing it to your phone number in QPST and does it still say it can't write? I'm pretty sure the phone number is stored on the SIM because when I go to About on my phone it doesn't show my real phone number it shows a different one.
    Yeah, I've tried writing my full number to the directory#. I always get the same error mentioned above... I guess I'll order a SIM card and try again.

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Phone
    3VO

Do read and then write in qpst. Try just writing down ur info the qpst and write to phone. Don't read.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by captaincatalyst View Post
    Yeah, I've tried writing my full number to the directory#. I always get the same error mentioned above... I guess I'll order a SIM card and try again.
    You are either not writing your NV only, or not rebooting the phone in bp tools again after settings thing to NV only. REBOOT is required after you write NV only and only then it will let you write your MDN. Sim is only needed for 3g when you don't do build prop editing.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    You are either not writing your NV only, or not rebooting the phone in bp tools again after settings thing to NV only. REBOOT is required after you write NV only and only then it will let you write your MDN. Sim is only needed for 3g when you don't do build prop editing.
    Thanks for the suggestion! That seems to do it. These directions could use an update to account for the differences in the process for newer roms since they say a reboot shouldn't be necessary.

I will note that with Safestrap recovery installed, the BP Tools don't work for me. I had to uninstall that before I could get a recognized phone from the CDMA WS or QPST.

So I haven't done an ESN change on my account yet. I was hoping to get more set up on this phone to ensure a successful transition. Is there anything I can do before committing to the ESN change to check some things? The calls still seem to default to Verizon's automated message telling me I'm not active. Should this be Cricket if I'm set up correctly? Edit: After most recent flash to what I believe is correct, calls don't go to any default answering message, they just hang and then give up.

Regarding APNs, Anycut won't work in Android 4.1, and APN Backup and Restore can't restore in this version. I found the APN menu, which doesn't show any APNs, with the option to add an APN, but when I fill it out (according to what I have in my current Droid2) and save, it doesn't show up. Interestingly, I used the APN Backup and Restore to Backup the existing APNs and it exports a lot of them, including the ones I had set up. So the phone is apparently saving the ones I put in, but nothing shows in the list. Any ideas there?

Does this phone not show the values you'd expect in the Phone details? Phone number and PRL all show as unknown.

I'm still without SIM card, so will I need to have that installed, even though it's not used? I keep getting messages on the phone that it needs to be installed, but just click OK. Can I change ESN to Cricket and get it working without the SIM card installed? I know they're cheap (I ordered one), but wondered if I could transition to this phone before getting it.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edit: I also noticed something else I'm curious about. Are MEID and IMEI supposed to be exactly the same? My IMEI shows the same number except it has an extra number at the end. That generated a message in the log for the trial version of CDMA WS 3.9.0 indicating something might not be right since they are different. "Log message: > IMEI is not correct. The last Luhn check digit does not match IMEI"
    Last edited by captaincatalyst; 04-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Gold Member

I've got a SIM card now so the phone stopped complaining about that.

I'm still confused as to what needs to happen with APNs on this phone with Android 4.1.2. Now that the SIM card is in, I can see 2 locked APNs. If I add a new one, I have to leave the default MCC and MNC values or the saved APN will disappear.

Thanks!

Gold Member

Ok, so I used the directions in the link on post 73 in this thread and now my phone info shows the correct stuff like PRL and my phone number, etc. The trial version of DFS let me make the necessary change, while the trial version of CDMA Workshop would not. The part saying to dial #22800 didn't do anything for me, even after a couple tries.

I went ahead and committed to an ESN change. It looks things are working correctly. I haven't been able to check MMS yet, but I get text, phone, and 3G. I set my APN to match Cricket settings except I left the default Verizon MCC and MNC values. We'll see how it holds up.

Thanks all for the help!

Gold Member

Well, I finally got everything working fine on my Droid 4 on the $55 plan.

If you're like me and you're ok staying behind a couple years on technology, you can get a pretty good phone for cheap and flash it to Cricket. Besides, I love a physical keyboard and there aren't many options out there.

I can't say for sure what I did to get everything working, but my recommendation to anyone trying to flash is to do so on the stock rom before working with Safestrap and custom roms. Having Safestrap installed and activated made it so that BP Tools wouldn't work for me. Once I had the stock rom running and my ESN changed over, I had everything working except MMS. By the way, APN with Cricket settings and Verizon MCC and MNC values seems to work fine. I wanted to experiment with custom roms, so decided to try that before messing with MMS. I updated to a recent CM11 nightly and am happy to say I got everything, including MMS (through Chomp SMS). CM11 also allows a lot of options for CDMA use, including a setting to have it look at NV rather than SIM for CDMA subscription info. Once on CM11, I didn't have to mess with any BuildProp editing since everything I needed to set was available in the settings menu. Note that with Safestrap you can set up rom slots and swap between roms on the phone. I have the stock rom as the main one and CM11 in Slot 1.

I've only been on CM11 a few days, but it seems pretty stable. I'm not sure if any important aspects are not functioning, but phone, data, SMS, MMS (through Chomp SMS) and all camera functionality is working for me. I think I had read that docking is an issue in some roms, but the phone recognizes when it's docked and I have it run my alarm clock app. I haven't tried HDMI, but don't think I'd need that.

Anyway, it wasn't super easy or intuitive, but I eventually got there and you can, too. Thanks to all who helped. Good luck to anyone trying!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information