Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since

UPS failed during rom upgrade, partial brick?

so i was updating the rom on my phone (boost galaxy s2 flashed to cricket, rooted) and my silly UPS decided to completely power off while odin was doing its thing.

needless to say, im now faced with the 'firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies and try again'.

kies doesnt detect it but i am able to see the phone in Odin with a yellow com port.

i backed up my phone like a good boy, so all is not lost i hope. problem is i cannot get into recovery or download mode.

phone is mode sph d710bst by the computer, sph d710 under the battery. was on 4.0.4, dont care if i lose data (all backed up anyways).

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

fixed it. reflashed the recovery program i used when rooting (agat) and phone is alive.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Glad you were able to get it back to life. Drive on!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodriguez View Post
    Glad you were able to get it back to life. Drive on!
    well, not so fast. another partial brick :\

i sucessfully updated to 4.1.2. i rerooted the phone, everything installed fine, however after the s2 screen, it goes black and doesnt boot further.

i can still boot into AGAT recovery and into download mode and made a nandroid backup when i was on 4.0.4.

can i boot into agat recovery and use the backup i made to restore it to 4.0.4?

--edit--

well, aint this a word i wont say. the md5 checksum i made in agat failed a check when attempted to do a recovery. i made a second one a few days earlier, hoping that one wont fail :\

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

as a side note, i cannot connect VIA kies to attempt a recovery that way, and the second recovery i made had an invalid signature as well

--edit--

well i figured out what i did wrong. i flashed the wrong kernel.

heres the weird part: 4G works! here's the weirder part: since this was a boost phone flashed to cricket, the boost settings came back but im still connected to cricket's network. phone number works, texting works, mms still broken, 4g now connecting and working just fine.
    Last edited by peakofdominance; 07-07-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I probably would have tried to go the ODIN route, but if you made the backup using another recovery I don't think you can use it.

I haven't really played with a phone in depth for a while. I didn't even know about AGAT. Also never touched the Boost version of the S3.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since

I probably would have tried to go the ODIN route, but if you made the backup using another recovery I don't think you can use it.

I haven't really played with a phone in depth for a while. I didn't even know about AGAT. Also never touched the Boost version of the S3.
    im going to go back to the person who helped me flash it and see what he says. according to everything ive read, even though it might say im on boosts network, if my phone number is active and i can make calls/texts, im actually on cricket's network.

that is all i really care about, moreso since 4g is now working and the increased speeds are great.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Well check the PRL. If it is a Cricket PRL that is also an indicator that you're still on Cricket.

Have data? Go to an IP check. That will probably say that it belongs to Leap.

Customer Since

Well check the PRL. If it is a Cricket PRL that is also an indicator that you're still on Cricket.

Have data? Go to an IP check. That will probably say that it belongs to Leap.
    PRL is 35768, which shows to be a cricket prl.

ip address is 21.229.*.* most show to be in ohio. forgot how to look up who owns network block of ip addresses..

i actually looked up the netblock, seems 21.0.0.0 - 21.255.255.255 is owned by DoD network information center.

not sure if i like that, might call cricket and see whats up since most stuff i see is DNIC (as its called) connecting TO people, not assigning out ip addresses. im guessing some kinda leased range to cricket?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

more digging. phone is returning a bad ip on the phone status page. went to whatismyip, turns out its a sprint ip address, which is leased to cricket.

another one solved... wonder whats next
    Last edited by peakofdominance; 07-07-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Thread Information