Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Choosing a PRL and using GreenK45

when flashing to cricket, one must choose between having 3g and poor signal reception, or having good reception but only 1x. let me elaborate.

you basically have two choices. one is to stay with the PRL that cricket installs on your phone. or you can choose to use a hybrid PRL such as 45722

whats the difference?

cricket PRL
    - pros: strong signal reception
    - cons: only 1x internet connection. this means slower speeds and tying up the phone line when browsing the internet. calls will be sent str8 to voicemail.

hybrid PRL
    - pros: 3g connection. not as fast as other 3g's but much better than 1x. also avoids using the phone line for data so you can receive calls when browsing.
    - cons: horrible signal almost everywhere and no signal at all in the places where a cricket PRL would have low signal.
    - another thing about having poor signal is that it drains the battery fast, very fast.

my question is - are we cricket users left to just these two options?

i'd kinda like to have both 3g and good signal reception. any suggestions? i'm in el paso tx by the way.

please take the time to look at your signal strength and post what you see. signal strength can be found at: settings > about phone > network. im currently using a hybrid PRL (45722). i have 3g and signal strength is -98dBm. when reading the signal strength, the bigger the number is the better the signal reception is. this can be confusing because we are dealing with negative numbers. so, for example, -60 dBm is better than -80 dBm. a good signal can range from -60 to -80. anything less than -90 is bad and drains the battery fast. with the hybrid PRL my phone is typically between -90 and -104, ugh.

oh yeah and i wanted to clear sump up about greenk45. from what i have found, it is not to allow a 3g connection specifically. rather, it is to allow a data connection period. the PRL you choose, cricket PRL or hybrid, is what determines the type of data connection, 1x or 3g. so, greenk will not turn a 1x connection in to a 3g connection. it will simply, but wonderfully, allow you to have internet without doing all the crazy mods. then you must choose the right PRL for 3g.

im using an incredible 1 and 2. i also know these phones can have issues with signal reception related to the hardware. but when my phones are on a cricket PRL signal reception is good. its only when i switch to a hybrid that the signal drops dramatically.

any help is much appreciated. i apologize if any info i have given is wrong. i am new to this so be patient with me haha.
    Last edited by cheeto chop; 08-31-2011 at 04:08 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Admire 2 64GB

This might or might not be true. I'm using a test PRL and have used the hybrids and the official cricket ones. All prls give me the same results but using cricket ones only give me 1x. The test one isn't a hybrid and it gives me 3G. Signal strength is at -95dBm.

so it seems that - hybrid prl or not - getting 3g on a flashed phone means poor signal reception no matter what. have you had a chance to check the speed on your 3g? my speed is ping: 284, download: 341 kbps, upload: 701 kbps. this was done on the speed test.net app. now if only there were a way to swap the faster upload speed for the slower download one, that would be great!

thanks

Overall activity: 2.0%

Quote Originally Posted by cheeto chop View Post
    so it seems that - hybrid prl or not - getting 3g on a flashed phone means poor signal reception no matter what. have you had a chance to check the speed on your 3g? my speed is ping: 284, download: 341 kbps, upload: 701 kbps. this was done on the speed test.net app. now if only there were a way to swap the faster upload speed for the slower download one, that would be great!

thanks
    Just because u use a 3g prl does not mean u get poor reception if that was true no one would use them and there would be a lot of complaints from my customers. second if u use the latest prls from cricket u wont have ne problems with reception hell i have a friend in the army using a DX and drove from here in dyt back down to TX WITH DATA the whole way just part of arkansas no service also ur speed is limited based on the plan you are on and the prl that you are using with that plan. please understand prls and networks before making posts like this it just confuses noobs

Customer Since
    oct 2010

were do i find the 45722 prl download file flashing htc evo 4g and need that file

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

I have never experienced this issue, OP play with your PRL's more.

Overall activity: 3.0%

I'm on xperia play flashed several prl I'm in dayton (huber heights specifically) and stuck on 1x tried green K and still 1x any recommendations or a good prl would be nice I was recommended to use the same prl as a evo 4g

Customer Since

Quote Originally Posted by franzferdinan51 View Post
    I'm on xperia play flashed several prl I'm in dayton (huber heights specifically) and stuck on 1x tried green K and still 1x any recommendations or a good prl would be nice I was recommended to use the same prl as a evo 4g
    I'm south of Dayton, (Middletown). I flashed my Droid 2 to Cricket, and am using 42900 prl, (was recommended in another forum instruction), and I have no x. not 1x or 3x. Text and calls work, but no internet, and no pic messaging. I flashed my bricked phone to 2.3.4 GB using ezSBF, (the linux iso cd HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!) and the phone itself works perfect on wifi. I too have greenk, rooted with Framaroot, and have APN manager installed. Since you are so close, maybe we should share any info to get both phones working right.
    However, since you posted this awhile ago, you are probably further along than I. PM me and share by text maybe?

Edited: I found the solution..for me at least. I reflashed using "cricket" as the password, and the 42900 prl. All is well now. Good 3x signal!
    Last edited by Skeezix; 05-12-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information