Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Rooting EVO 4G troubles

Hi All,

My first post. I hope, later I can help from what I learn from this point forward. I recently bought a EVO 4G off of Craigslist with a hope of rooting and flashing it to use on Cricket. Following the tutorial I cannot get past the unrevoke part. I get the error firmware too new. I have tried it numerous times, on windows and linux, I have resetted the phone a couple times. Nothing seems to work. It has Andriod 2.3.3., Gingerbread I guess. Not being the original owner, I don't know if the phone has been rooted previously. I assume not.

From what I can see, 2.3.3 cannot be rooted. Is this true, must I learn to be patient and wait? If so, where can I go to find out when someone figures out to root this? I use the EVO on my wireless at home. It beats the hell out of my ZIO.

Thanks ahead in advance for any help or reply.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I just had this problem bud. Skip the rooting stuff, and for the time being you will have to be on the 55 plan. You will have to use stock ROM but it works. Want proof?

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

OK. Total newbie question. I still have the previous owner's info on the phone. Don't I have to root it to set it up with my phone info?

Thanks

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Go into Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset and follow instructions from there. On reboot, you will be able to enter your account information etc.

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    HTC Evo LTE

Is the phone on gingerbread 2.3.3?
    The stock Rom sucks but you can flash it to cricket if your on the $55 plan. The bad thing is you get stuck with all the Sprint stuff you don't want/need.

Send from my HTC EVO powered by MikG v2.15
    Last edited by mexiking713; 06-27-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    Go into Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset and follow instructions from there. On reboot, you will be able to enter your account information etc.
    Thanks for the quick response. Problem is there is no Privacy tab after Settings. The only Factory Data Reset is under the SD & Phone Storage tab. After doing that reset it asked me for google account info and social media info, which I couldn't set up 'cause it didn't have access to the internet yet. When I skip that, it still had the old phone and previous owners Sprint info.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by lcourtley View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Problem is there is no Privacy tab after Settings. The only Factory Data Reset is under the SD & Phone Storage tab. After doing that reset it asked me for google account info and social media info, which I couldn't set up 'cause it didn't have access to the internet yet. When I skip that, it still had the old phone and previous owners Sprint info.

It's still going to have their phone number until you start flashing it. Go ahead and install the diag drivers, and hit ##3424# send. This will get it connected to your computer. Go to the tutorial and find that part. Watch the videos too. Good luck!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I installed the drivers and used QPST. Everything changed except the check box under the Roam tabbed was greyed out and it would take any prl file. Do I have to call Cricket Customer Service or should it be working? Or did I forget something else?

Thanks
    Lance

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

You have to write the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for 611 or *228 to contact Cricket instead of the original provider. Until then, any attempts at OTA activation will direct towards Sprint.

Press "browse" on the Roam tab and point it towards your .PRL file (45513 hopefully, if not get it), then write to phone. After reboot, double check the PRL by dialing 611 and listening for Cricket.

How do I get the .prl file on the phone. QPST doesn't seem to work. Checkbox is greyed out. I browse to file, press Write to Phone, it greys out and nothing happens. To anyone replying as far as I know, phone won't root cause it's Andriod 2.3.3. Atleast with unrevoked.

Thread Information