Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Very Easy ROOT method for the ZTE Engage V8000

Here's the method used and its quite simple. Your use of anything here is done at your own risk. I nor anyone else is responsible for your phone. And rooting your phone will void your warranty. Having, said that and gotten it out of the way here are the steps you will need to take:

This is a total rewrite of a previous post that used the POOT method to root the Engage. Thanks to the many hours of work that Stedman420 has spent in developing the Engage the method is far simpler now.

First download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dq0iifp0m9axy..._v1.30.zip

and then

1.) Boot your phone into recovery mode by first powering your phone off if it's still on and then hold the volume up button and the power button until the Engage boots into recovery (please be patient as this make take a few seconds).

2.) Use Volume button to scroll to apply update from external storage and use power to select it.

3.) Scroll to SuperSU_V1.30.zip and select and install it.

4.) Once install is complete go back to the main menu and reboot system.

Not only will your Engage now be rooted but you also have SuperSU installed on your Engage. I would highly recommend that you install the ClockWork MOD
    CWM-Recovery-v6.0.3.2

and do a backup!! At least then if something goes wrong you have a restore that you can fall back on.

This is an update to the original post here. ClockWork Mod version 6.0.3.2 for the Engage has now been made official and can be installed via ClockWork Manager on Google Play.

I hope everyone enjoys the progress that he has made.

The Geekster

<---------------- Click on the PayPal donate button if I was able to help you. THANK YOU!!

Last edited by geekster; 05-28-2013 at 09:46 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Any updates? Anyone else try this?

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

Yes indeed, it's always nice to hear people's success stories with their androids. It's always a great feeling when things go smoothly. We hear about all the nightmares in posts here when things go badly. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated, either good or bad.

The Geekster

< ---------------- Click on the PayPal donate button if I was able to help you. THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by geekster; 05-28-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Phone
    ZTE Engage V8000

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Ok fed ex just dropped off my engage a little bit ago and I can verify this worked like a charm for me thanks geekster this saves me from havin to post it Lol Now on to recovery and other goodies Lol

Sent from my Silky X500 runnin
    Stripped Mod

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

The clock is ticking ............... LMAO

Customer Since
    Nov. 2010

Will this root method also work on the new LT version of the ZTE Engage?

Customer Since

worked

Worked for me! Is it a full root or how exactly is it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot_2013-04-03-17-49-34.png  

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

Answers to ROOT questions.

Yes, it's a full root. And this is a very SAFE rooting method and so the answer for the Engage LT or any android for that matter, is it will either work or it won't. If it works then great, otherwise no harm is done.

The Geekster
    Last edited by geekster; 05-13-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Just registered to reply to this so others know this is a functional method.

SO far, it looks like this method has (mostly and most of the time) worked for me. I'm in the process of running my various backups and such now so I may edit for more info later. I have successfully removed system apps that were obviously safe to delete so I know the root is there. The only problem I've had so far is that SuperUser is occasionally losing its own root rights and has to re-grant them to itself. I haven't seen if this is happening to other apps as well but I did have a brief popup when I first launched Titanium Backup saying that it required root access which I didn't have. I cleared the popup and the program launched regularly from there and currently seems to be doing its thing just fine. Perhaps this is tied to the error you mentioned (where poot thinks it didn't finish but the log shows it correctly copying files)?

After this I'll be fixing my launcher and another backup, followed by more app deletion and another backup. It's pretty much the same anal retentive system I used when I rooted my old Ascend on 2.1. But so far so good. Much bloatware removed. Now if only I could figure out why the last of my old apps just will not install on this phone (ColorDict's extra file install setup is messing with me but I don't know why exactly).

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

Congratulations on getting your Engage successfully rooted and thanks for taking the time to register on this site in order to share your news with everyone. I had some similar issues with root not working 100% all the time as well however, if you follow the link below you can then install ClockWork MOD recovery. Not only will this install root properly (keeping it simple here), you may also find that you like the backup/restore function in ClockWork MOD far more than Titanium Backup. Titanium Backup is indeed a great utility to keep on your phone but it's more useful in dealing with applications individually whereas ClockWork MOD is far better on a collective scale.

CWM-Recovery-v6.0.3.2

I'm happy to hear you're having some fun with your Engage and should you have anymore feedback or questions please feel free to post them here.

< ---------------- Click on the PayPal donate button if I was able to help you. THANK YOU!!

The Geekster

Last edited by geekster; 05-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Overall activity: 10.0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Engage LT n8000

Partial root

I used the sdcard root method in the first part of the post and received a partial root. I downloaded a system root analyzer and it obtained superuser permissions, but the busybox will not download. I am currently looking for another version and I will post here when I find one

Customer Since
    Phone
    Engage LT n8000

SUCCESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by hexhiss View Post
    I used the sdcard root method in the first part of the post and received a partial root. I downloaded a system root analyzer and it obtained superuser permissions, but the busybox will not download. I am currently looking for another version and I will post here when I find one
    Easy does it. After following this method, I went to play store and downloaded the busybox by Stephen Stericson, installed it, and waited for it to run through the smart installer applet processor sequence, then chose to install , and installed normally. Full root access. Now im on the hunt for a good custom rom to get rid of all this trash. Almost there. Thanks Geekster!

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

Custom ROMS

You are quite welcome and you can look under the Roms for the Engage V8000 thread and will find both stock and custom ROMS for the Engage. I have been using the Stripped version and it's a very nice and straight forward ROM that is easy to customize to your own liking.

The Geekster
    Last edited by geekster; 07-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Engage LT n8000

Are you sure these v8000 ROMs wont brick my n8000? I really don't wanna screw my phone up.

Supporting Member
    Customer Since
    Phone
    HTC One SV

Quote Originally Posted by hexhiss View Post
    Are you sure these v8000 ROMs wont brick my n8000? I really don't wanna screw my phone up.
    No, I don't want you to screw your phone up either and so I'm glad you asked that. And my bad for assuming that since you posted the question in the Engage forum that we were talking about an Engage V8000 and not the Engage LT N8000. This is one of the reasons why we had the debate on whether or not to have two separate forums since they are entirely different androids and especially since they have different CPU's in them. To answer your question I would not try using an Engage custom ROM on an Engage LT unless someone else has tried it with any amount of success. And to be honest if you actually used my method for rooting the Engage on your LT then that in itself is interesting but not totally shocking either. Oh and one last note too so there is no confusion on this topic. When I originally posted a different rooting method using POOT (which of course works on just about every android out there), the newer method that I replaced it with was strictly intended to work on the Engage. However, again, if it works on the LT as well then it's no big shocker but just wanted to be sure to add that little footnote.

The Geekster
    Last edited by geekster; 07-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information