Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

ZTE V8000 gets FCC certification, on its way to Cricket with ICS and WVGA display - A

Thanks to your contributions, I was able to scope this phone out at CTIA. While Cricket Wireless did not offer any news about new phones, ZTE was more than pleased to show off their new devices.

Big thanks to Captain Kirk for making that trip possible.

Finally we get a little more news about the device. I was starting to worry.

Up-and-coming prepaid carrier Cricket Wireless seems to really be on a roll. On top the launch of Cricket-powered RadioShack Wireless last week, Cricket has also launched its own version of the HTC One V, which has now become the most powerful Android smartphone in its portfolio.

That doesnít seem to be enough for Cricket though, and another enticing Android mid-ranger is heading to the nationís eighth largest carrier. We first spotted the ZTE Nova 4.0 V8000 back in May at the CTIA, and, just as we suspected, this will be a Cricket exclusive phone.

The V8000 has certainly taken its time until making a follow-up appearance in the media, and itís not an official device yet. The 4-incher has been spotted visiting the FCC, though, which means that announcing the handheld has now become more of an obligation for Cricket than a faint possibility.

Although the ZTE V8000′s specs might be impressive at first glance, the smartphone is a mid-ranger at best. As such, it will fit nicely into Cricketís policy, to date, of only releasing budget-friendly Android phones.

That 8 MP rear-facing shooter with flash revealed by FCCís internal docs looks high-end-ish, but the single-core 1.4 GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 processor rumored to be powering the device leaves much to be desired.

The rest of the V8000ís specs are also known (more or less), and include a WVGA LCD screen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution, 1 GB of RAM, 4 GB of on-board memory, a 1,900 mAh battery, Android 4.0 ICS, a front-facing camera of sorts, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. Thereís also a microUSB port, SRS Audio and Muve Music support.

Fans may even hope to see the ZTE Nova 4.0 released with Jelly Bean on-board, considering that the phone was running Ice Cream Sandwich four months ago. Thatís clearly a stretch, although I can see the device getting an Android 4.1 update sometime after its release.

Talking about the release, we have no news on when to expect the device to hit Cricket, though the FCC certification is a clear indicator that this will happen sooner rather than later. We would certainly expect it to see the light of day by the end of October with a rumored price of around $250 off-contract with prepaid plans. Thatís a bit higher than HTC One Vís current price tag, but in all honesty the ZTE V8000 looks like a better equipped phone all-around.

Anyone looking forward for the ZTE V8000 to become reality? Would $250 be a fair price to ask for it, or does Cricket need to lower that bar to sweeten the deal?

SOURCE:
    Android Authority

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 09-13-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Cricket Users' Free Android App - Read, post, and more from your Android device!

Find a phone to flash to Cricket!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

Quote Originally Posted by CU-News View Post
    Thanks to your contributions, I was able to scope this phone out at CTIA. While Cricket Wireless did not offer any news about new phones, ZTE was more than pleased to show off their new devices.

Big thanks to Captain Kirk for making that trip possible.

Finally we get a little more news about the device. I was starting to worry.

Up-and-coming prepaid carrier Cricket Wireless seems to really be on a roll. On top the launch of Cricket-powered RadioShack Wireless last week, Cricket has also launched its own version of the HTC One V, which has now become the most powerful Android smartphone in its portfolio.

That doesnít seem to be enough for Cricket though, and another enticing Android mid-ranger is heading to the nationís eighth largest carrier. We first spotted the ZTE Nova 4.0 V8000 back in May at the CTIA, and, just as we suspected, this will be a Cricket exclusive phone.

The V8000 has certainly taken its time until making a follow-up appearance in the media, and itís not an official device yet. The 4-incher has been spotted visiting the FCC, though, which means that announcing the handheld has now become more of an obligation for Cricket than a faint possibility.

Although the ZTE V8000′s specs might be impressive at first glance, the smartphone is a mid-ranger at best. As such, it will fit nicely into Cricketís policy, to date, of only releasing budget-friendly Android phones.

That 8 MP rear-facing shooter with flash revealed by FCCís internal docs looks high-end-ish, but the single-core 1.4 GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 processor rumored to be powering the device leaves much to be desired.

The rest of the V8000ís specs are also known (more or less), and include a WVGA LCD screen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution, 1 GB of RAM, 4 GB of on-board memory, a 1,900 mAh battery, Android 4.0 ICS, a front-facing camera of sorts, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. Thereís also a microUSB port, SRS Audio and Muve Music support.

Fans may even hope to see the ZTE Nova 4.0 released with Jelly Bean on-board, considering that the phone was running Ice Cream Sandwich four months ago. Thatís clearly a stretch, although I can see the device getting an Android 4.1 update sometime after its release.

Talking about the release, we have no news on when to expect the device to hit Cricket, though the FCC certification is a clear indicator that this will happen sooner rather than later. We would certainly expect it to see the light of day by the end of October with a rumored price of around $250 off-contract with prepaid plans. Thatís a bit higher than HTC One Vís current price tag, but in all honesty the ZTE V8000 looks like a better equipped phone all-around.

Anyone looking forward for the ZTE V8000 to become reality? Would $250 be a fair price to ask for it, or does Cricket need to lower that bar to sweeten the deal?

SOURCE:
    Android Authority

Honestly, I'd say drop it to like $170. The merc ice is 150 and has all of the same specs. I say 170 because I'll throw an extra 20 bucks for ICS.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Overall activity: 12.0%

$250 Way to much! $199 would be a great price, this phone will be out very very soon... They've been selling accessories for it for weeks. Now.

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

Yeaaa $170 is a good price if the Mercury is going to be $149.99...I keep thinking about getting this phone but I would wait until I see how the dev support is looking

Overall activity: 12.0%

I'm not so sure about ZTE phone's Imo they look very cheap

Phone
    Mercury M886

Yeah I'm gonna get the One V. Htc's build quality plus the amount of dev support and the Camera are what's pushing me towards it.

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Phone
    Mercury

Gonna stick with the the Merc, One V's battery life is shorter than the Mercs and the Merc is faster loading web pages. The Merc has more storage space, might have the same problems as the Ascend 2. The ZTE basically has the same specs as the Mercury, so that will be not much of an upgrade from the Merc.

Phone
    Mercury M886

Quote Originally Posted by randp1 View Post
    Gonna stick with the the Merc, One V's battery life is shorter than the Mercs and the Merc is faster loading web pages. The Merc has more storage space, might have the same problems as the Ascend 2. The ZTE basically has the same specs as the Mercury, so that will be not much of an upgrade from the Merc.

I can easily buy another SD card. The first thing I'm doing is rooting and getting CM10 JellyBean. Dont get me wrong, I love my merc. That's why I'm upgrading to official ICS when it comes and keeping the merc in case I don't like the One V. But from all of the reviews (phonedog phone arena etc.) I think I'll make a good choice. I just wish they had the black one! Lol

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by TrillBill_Vol1 View Post
    I can easily buy another SD card. The first thing I'm doing is rooting and getting CM10 JellyBean. Dont get me wrong, I love my merc. That's why I'm upgrading to official ICS when it comes and keeping the merc in case I don't like the One V. But from all of the reviews (phonedog phone arena etc.) I think I'll make a good choice. I just wish they had the black one! Lol

I don't think the CM10 for the One V is even stable enough right now for daily use. So many things on it aren't working yet, but CM9 has been up and running great already. Only reason I'd go for the One V is basically because it has ICS, great camera, and much dev support/roms. As for the ZTE V8000, if you have a Merc, I recommend staying with it.

Phone
    Mercury M886

Quote Originally Posted by Nestoh View Post
    I don't think the CM10 for the One V is even stable enough right now for daily use. So many things on it aren't working yet, but CM9 has been up and running great already. Only reason I'd go for the One V is basically because it has ICS, great camera, and much dev support/roms. As for the ZTE V8000, if you have a Merc, I recommend staying with it.
    Yeah I'm not getting it until about Christmas so I'm pretty sure it'll be fixed by then lol. But all of those are my reasons for getting it. Plus the build quality is unmatched.

Phone
    Huawei mercury

I think the Nova will not be an update on the mercury because it has the same clock frequency, the same screen size, the camera has 8mpx, the nova comes equipped with 1GB of RAM (the mercury only has 512MB), 4GB Storage internal (Mercury only has 2GB) and comes with Android 4.0, but I can wait for the official update of the mercury, a point that I did not like in the nova was your screen resolution, 800x480, the Mercury has 854x480, you say, but that is no big difference, but no, the mercury has 245 ppi and 233 ppi nova has, yes, I know, are only 12 ppi difference, but my point is that the mercury may offer slightly sharper images, I don't know if you agree with me, but for me this is important. So I think the price of $ 250 is a bit pricey when compared to the specifications of the mercury, I would like the nova out with a price of $ 170, but $ 200 would be a great price.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by Gxrxd View Post
    $250 Way to much! $199 would be a great price, this phone will be out very very soon... They've been selling accessories for it for weeks. Now.
    launching in my area "soon" with a $50 instant discount for $199.99. ZTE has had some hits, and a lot more misses. I personally am not getting my expectations up about this device. However if ZTE managed to learn from it's mistakes and fix some of the more profound hardware problems that show up on other devices (cough score cough warp), this will be a nice addition to the cricket line-up.

Thread Information