Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 5.0%

Customer Since

No Compass, bad Nav and no Skymaps

I think the title says it all, I wish I never bought one

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Customer Since
    april '12

Quote Originally Posted by arjaes View Post
    I think the title says it all, I wish I never bought one
    that's the only reason you don't like it? i just used the nav last night and it worked fine. as for the compass, that's kind of an odd thing to not like a phone for.

Customer Since

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Skymaps didn't work for me, everything points east. Navigation didn't work as well as my last phone. All releated to the lack of a digital compass inside. If you like it great for you. I think it's inferior and will never buy an HTC ever again. My mom who only makes voice calls from her cell phone would probable never notice it's inferior. If it cost 80 bucks maybe I would let it slide. But for a hiker and person thats like to look at the nights sky. And a price tag closing in on $300 it's inferior.

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Admire 2 64GB

Buy a real (edit) compass. A real hiker would have one and not rely on a (edit) phone to do so.
    Last edited by short6in; 10-09-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Language

Phone
    HOV

I've had mine for a week and not a single FC. I would tend to say the OP is trolling! One of the best phones I've bought, in fact just ordered another for my daughter.

Customer Since

Quote Originally Posted by wthigon View Post
    Buy a real (edit) compass. A real hiker would have one and not rely on a (edit) phone to do so.
    I have one, and a hand held GPS, but that doesn't diminish the fact that the phone is missing a key component. as for your childish swearing, every reader can decide for themselves. I decided that you must be an idiot.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

That's good that you like it, we all make choices. I think I made a bad one in buying this phone which does not suit all my needs. Your daughter will probable like it very much. As will quite a few people. I however have a different view. I appreciate that your reply was thoughtful and despite your assertion that I am trolling did not contain obscenities . Perhaps it is because with a child, your more mature than some others who have commented.
    Last edited by short6in; 10-09-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Language in quote

Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

Flash a custom rom, it may run better and have better features for this phone

Customer Since

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the idea. This is my first cell phone in 12 years that I pay for. Company gave me a BB for last few years. I do love the larger screen and apps. BB had a few nice features I haven't found how to replicate. Like phone ring only, and auto start. I could shut it down and it would reboot at a given time. Was nice when I had to work the night shift and sleep days. Kept all those notifications from sounding off. I haven't investigated it too much yet. Had this phone for maybe 2 or 3 weeks now. Overall it a nice size and feel. Not plastic. Thanks for the heads up.

Customer Since

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidGio View Post
    Flash a custom rom, it may run better and have better features for this phone
    You know I misspoke (miswrote) in my first reply. The hardware is not included in the phone itself. To save a few pennies I imagine, they omitted this HW function. in this version HTC One V, all else works fine. So even if I was able to change the ROM itself, the HW would not be present. i think it was a dumb move, But it was my first Android. Reminds me of my first car ever, when gas was 30 cents a gallon. I wanted FM and FM I got. but it wasn't Stereo. I was able to change out that Delco myself. With this itsy bitsy phone I think that's not possible. I will just get a Samsung next time. But thanks for your suggestion,

Quote Originally Posted by arjaes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wthigon View Post
    I have one, and a hand held GPS, but that doesn't diminish the fact that the phone is missing a key component.
    I used to think I could care less about GPS, but now I see it as a key feature in a phone. How is that working on this one?
    Last edited by short6in; 10-10-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Language in quote

Customer Since

The GPS works as far as where am I now, I haven't tried turn by turn. But they shaved a few pennies by not providing a digital compass. Times a few million that add's up I know. I hope the bad PR makes them think twice next time. Other HTC products have the compass inside and the other programs I mentioned work. Many people will not notice it, some like me will and be disappointed that a company like HTC put out a product lacking a basic component.

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

A compass is not a much used feature by the regular cell phone user. Therefore, manufacturers are not going to include in in a features set they way they would bluetooth or wi-fi. It has be demanded by the carriers and most of the aren't gonna request it if it can keep costs down.
    *Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

Customer Since

A magnetic sensor is the cornerstone of any navigation system. in order to know real time heading. This information, when added to the position capability of the GPS, provides a complete navigation system. The HTC One X, S and Evo, the Samsung line of phones have the sensor build in to the hardware. I think your confusing a compass app, and the sensor needed to give true navigation. It should have this sensor, which is used to determine if the phone is facing West or East, North or South. Up or Down also. If you don't need it or care, then get this HTC One V, if it matters then be aware it is missing and won't work as well as a phone that has it. The hardware needed for best navigation is something like the AKM8975 which is the one HTC and Samsung use in most phones, Apple also uses this chip. It provides 3 axis info for the Navigation system, Skymap or other astronomy app, and of course the Compass app if someone chooses to use it. For 300 bucks it should have had it, and I am calling out HTC. Which cares about customer perception that it was noticed at least by me.

Thread Information