Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 10.0%
    Phone
    SGS3

CDMA SIM and Straight Talk ?

Reading up on all this CDMA support ending I think I may need to find a fast substitute for my s3.. I've looked into Straight Talks BYOP deal..
    Now.. Here is where I'm confused.. This IS a CDMA phone, that I'm sure of.. People are saying the SIM card that we have is just for the 4g data.. I'm almost certain this is true..
    If I were to want to go with Straight Talks BYOP kit, is this even do-able ?
    Would I need to CDMA flash it over to straight talk, or would one of their "access codes" suffice to get me started ? Would I also need the SIM card ? .. Legalities as well ? ... Would what I have to do fall into the legal limits with all the service providers okays ? I have yet to test another SIM card from another service in my phone - as so far it seems all my friends love Sprint so much.
    Another side question.. Are these phones unlocked at all? I asked it in another post but I think it died...

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    May 2013
    Phone
    Galaxy Ex i437z

StraightTalk is a GSM service and there are many horror stories of CDMA migration not working. It costs you $14.99 and you will spend a lot of time with uninformed support.

Here is one article telling of the pitfalls....

Overall activity: 10.0%
    Phone
    SGS3

Thanks for this. I just saw an ad for a WiFi hotspot they offer.. I guess 15 bucks a month ain't too bad to carry around an extra device. Especially in the car. All my cell activity is free and WiFi based through Google voice. I haven't paid for service in almost a year.

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    May 2013
    Phone
    Galaxy Ex i437z

Apparently my explaination was hazy. $15 gets you a SIM kit that is not sure to work, and the tech support is said to be far below normal. You STILL have to pay the monthly subscription for Straight Talk, and you STILL have to go to Wal-Mart for purchase. May the force be with you young Jedi.

Thread Information