Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 17.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Fix for Cricket Galaxy S3 Hard Bricks on Android 4.3

The premise is this: Your device has a built-in mechanism whereby it will search for a bootable structure, and boot to it. If it determines that the internal storage is corrupt or unusable in any way, it will look to the sdcard. The sdcard should equal the storage space and structure of the internal memory as closely as possible, and should be a Class 10 speed rating. All you have to do is provide it with that structure. Click the link below, and download them.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...00&usp=sharing

Download either sd-debrick.img.tar.7z or sdcard.img.7z (the larger one may work where the smaller one may fail).

extract them until you get to the .img file, and go to Linux terminal prompt.

type (don't use {}, they're just there to illustrate a variable): dd if={filename you extracted} of={mount point of sdcard}
    example: dd if=sd-debrick.img of=sdb
    NOTE: You're not writing to a partition on the sdcard, but the sdcard itself. Be sure not to specify a partition number (sdb1), but instead the entire device (sdb).

Put the sdcard into your phone, and hold down the power button + volume down to enter download mode, and immediately flash a ROM using ODIN. Try to flash the same ROM you had before the brick.

If you're on another software version than 4.3

1.) download the firmware that you need from sammobile.com
    2.) write the sdcard contents from one of the files I've provided to provide the partition structure
    3.) extract the contents of the .tar file to a folder and navigate there through the terminal
    3.) use the dd if="" of="" to write each partition to its appropriate place. For a list of where things should go, click the above link and look at the partition table file.

The partition table can be a little confusing when comparing it against the files contained in the firmware .tar file. You may need to try several combinations before getting a working debrick sdcard, but I assure you it's possible.

When you've got everything from the firmware in the appropriate partitions, make sure that all the partitions have a file system matching the partition table. If anything shows up as RAW, format it to what the partition table says it should be. Then plug the sdcard in, and power up.

Flash a STOCK ROM immediately with ODIN, and do your best to make sure that it's the same firmware that was on your phone when it bricked.

If you've been using an AOSP ROM, disregard the android version number of the AOSP ROM. The only thing that matters in this respect is the LAST OFFICIAL STOCK ROM you were running before the brick. I'm sorry if some of this is redundant.

If I've failed to mention anything here, check
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660566

for more details.

Enjoy having an unbrickable device!

Last edited by michaave; 09-19-2014 at 02:10 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Thanks for this very useful post... unfortunately my R530C phone was on 4.4 Stock firmware and the 4.3 sdcard unbrick will not work.
    Do you happen to have the 4.4.2 files so I can create an sdcard that will hopefully work on my phone?

Best Regards!

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

The 4.4.2 tar is over on sam mobile or samsung-updates.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    The 4.4.2 tar is over on sam mobile or samsung-updates.
    Thank you,
    But the phone is hard bricked... No lcd power, download mode... Recovery etc.
    I was looking for the 4.4.2 image in order to try the sdcard unbrick method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

I messed up my s3 recently and could not get into recovery or download mode. But I had a usb jig off ebay which let me boot into download mode and flash the tar.

I was able to find the 4.4.2 bootloaders and jtag the phone.
    All working now.
    Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Overall activity: 10.0%

Customer Since
    Sept 2010

It worked for me.
    but now it is booting from SD card only.
    thanks..

Thread Information