Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since

Question Galaxy SIII flashed to Cricket - cant send mms & more

Hi, I can see that this has been a problem for many users but darned if I can find anywhere that the question has been answered. The one answer that I did find said to download the Android Messaging app from the Playstore. I immediately went to do just that only to see that the app doesn't handle mms anymore. My phone is not rooted, and I'm really terrified to do that. I don't think I can root it anyway, see issue number 3 below.

I bought this phone Christmas 2012 and went with Verizon. We've recently moved and I changed my provider to Cricket. I went to a general cell phone store and they flashed the phone. Since then I've had a few issues. I'm really afraid to root my phone and would rather not have to go that route. Even though this phone is giving me problems, it's still far better than my previous phone, a Huawei Ascend.

First, I can't send pictures. I can receive them just fine, but when I try to send pictures the whole text fails to send, not just the pics. Also, I have to keep any text messages basically within the little window that you type in. If my message is longer than that (I don't know how many characters) then the receiver only sees what has been described as jibberish. So, even though it drives me batty, I have to send texts like "R U NE were near us? Hw mch longer will U B?" Or, instead of "I wanted to go to Kroger but had to got o Walmart instead" I write "at Wally's, hate it here!" arg.... I'm a word/grammar/English nut, shortening my words like that is really irritating.

I've tried the regular stock messaging app, GoSMS, Chomp, Handcent and something else, I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. Apparently it's not the app that's causing the issue. I've tried turning off wifi and just using the cell data, which didnt work.

Second, I am constantly getting a popup message that basically says Please wait while we prepare this application for it's first use. I can't get out of it while it's doing that, I just have to wait for the error message to appear.

Third, for some reason I can not connect my phone to my laptop so that I can back it up. My phone will charge while it's plugged into the USB port, so I know it's connected, but I can't see the phone on my laptop or the laptop on my phone. I've installed, uninstalled and re-installed the Samsung SIII drivers for Windows. I've tried Kies on my desktop, but it wont connect, neither by USB nor wireless. I can get to Kies Air, but I can't figure out how to do a backup from that angle. I've also tried Helium, which tells me to connect my device. This issue is a little worrisome, because sooner or later, I'm really going to wish I had my backed up!

I also have 2 questions ... since I'm not on Verizon any longer, are there any of the Verizon stock apps that I can safely uninstall, without damaging my phone? And, an sd card. I remember on my Ascend I could take out the sd card (at least, I think that's what it was!!) and put it into an adapter thing I bought, then plug that into my computer and do backups, etc that way. I can't figure out if this phone even has an sd card that I can take out like that. I dont see that any of my apps are available to move to the sd card, and the option to mount the sd card is greyed out, so do I even have one?

In spite of these problems, I really do love this phone. It is so much better than my previous phone, a Huawei Ascend. It sure would be nice if these issues could be fixed though, so here I am. Your help is appreciated, thank you in advance!!!

~Ky

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1. Did you set all the MMS settings in GoSMS and Chomp such that they override the phone settings? Google it.
    2. Open the back cover off your phone and see if there is a micro sd card or a slot for one. Google a picture of it.
    3. Dont know about the popup, not enough info to figure it out.
    4. You can uninstall some apps.

Thats my take on it.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    1. Did you set all the MMS settings in GoSMS and Chomp such that they override the phone settings? Google it.
    2. Open the back cover off your phone and see if there is a micro sd card or a slot for one. Google a picture of it.
    3. Dont know about the popup, not enough info to figure it out.
    4. You can uninstall some apps.

Thats my take on it.
    1 - I have googled it, and howard forum'd it, and Android Forum'd it and xda-developer forum'd it. When I said I could see that a lot of people had encountered this problem but that I couldn't find an answer, I was speaking the truth. Could you be more specific?
    2. My Ascend had a little slot on the side that had a pop-out card, this one has no such thing. When I open the back there is a tiny card looking thing that is slid into a slot back there. Do I take that out and use it as an sd card that I can put into my sd card reader and do backups?
    3. The popup thing is something from Verizon, saying hey, we dont recognize you so hold up while we connect you to our servers .............. hmmm, no luck. At least, that's what it seems like to me. It never happened before I moved to Cricket.
    4. I can uninstall some apps? The only thing I see about apps in my OP was where I asked if there are any Verizon bloatware apps that I could safely remove now that I've flashed to Cricket, and if there were, which ones.
    Thank you for your reply ...
    Last edited by bloggingky; 11-26-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: sounded *itchy, edited myself

Gold Member

1. Specifically, did you set all the MMS settings in GoSMS and Chomp such that they override the phone settings?
    2. Where did the googled pic of the ascend sd card say the sd card was located?
    3. Sounds like you have a hallf flash(rom only) and some other settings need to be changed too. Root, Recovery, ROMs, and More
    4. I agree. It was one of your two questions.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3

Cricket MMS App

tinyurl.com/cricketpics

Download the app with your phone, use to send and receive mms

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Overall activity: 0%

The Cricket MMS app works well and so does the android messaging app..tried both and i can send and receive messages now too

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

The S3 does not use the external sd card for storing of apps, only app data and files you choose, such as music, pictures, or large app data files (like of you download one of those 2 gb Gameloft games, it will store a large chunk of that on your external sd). So you will NOT be able to backup your PHONE through an sd adapter, only the contents of your sd card.

Now, I know you say you don't want to root because you're scared... Don't be. Nowadays rooting your phone is as easy as starting up a program on the pc and the next thing you know you're rooted. The world of possibilities rooting opens is very well worth the risk. For instance the app Titanium Backup... It allows you to back up a copy of an app's apk file and it's background data to your external sd card, allowing you to always keep place on your apps if you flash a new rom or even get a new phone. As long as your sd card is intact you always have your apps exactly the way they are when you make the backup. Also with rooting, having a custom recovery is priceless. It allows you to make a snapshot backup of your entire phone to the sd card, which does the same thing as Titanium Backup only on a full phone scale instead of a per app basis. So I would seriously reconsider rooting.

As far as the Verizon apps go, almost all carrier pre-installed apps are system apps, which you are not allowed to uninstall without root. So if it's a Verizon app causing that popup, it won't stop until you root and freeze/remove the app. I can almost guarantee you it's Verizon's data backup service (I used to have a Verizon Droid X2 flashed to Cricket). And as far as mms goes, I tried for 6 months to get it to work on my flashed phone and eventually gave up. The best thing to try in that instance is call Cricket and ask them to reprovision your mms on the account, then once they are done dial *228 on the phone and let it reprogram.

As far as the issue with the laptop not seeing the phone, that has absolutely nothing to do with a Cricket flash since flashing carriers only affects things related the the cell radio and the prl and apn settings. If you are using stock TouchWiz make sure when you plug it in you open notification for USB connection and make sure Charge Only is not selected. Hopefully I addressed all of your issues.

Sent from another Galaxy...

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Customer Since
    oct 2011
    Phone
    flashed note 2

has anyone tried the cricket mms apk with kit kat yet? maybe I can use cm11 with this and be a happy guy!

Customer Since
    08-08
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by jaredl45600 View Post
    has anyone tried the cricket mms apk with kit kat yet? maybe I can use cm11 with this and be a happy guy!
    I have tried rverything to get mms on kitkat nothing worked i gave u defeated

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Customer Since
    oct 2011
    Phone
    flashed note 2

I tried many things on kitkat too. I was hoping someone found something.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by jaredl45600 View Post
    I tried many things on kitkat too. I was hoping someone found something.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk
    Try temp solution with chomp sms NEW Universal Cricket MMS GB, ICS, JB Solution No Root Required! UPDATED: 10/29/2013

Sent from Sprint Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Anyone try the old "mms jig fix" on xda? It worked on my verizon DINC with cm10.

1 the MMS functions on cm11 are minimal maybe try obtaining the d2cri MMS app and replace your Verizon MMS app in the priv app folder. 2 or play it safe and wait for a safe alternative is readily available. I've been working on a solution for s4, s3, and nexus on cm11. Still in the works. 3 your connectivity issue first flash back to stock ROM and unlock hidden menu then change modem mode to mtp+adb flash back to cm11...Problem solved. Happy camping
    Last edited by vengeance937; 01-15-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Thread Information