Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

Thinking of buying a pair of S3s, but I have a couple of questions....

I was thinking of getting a pair of S3s for the wife and me. She wants the white, I want the blue. Hers will remain stock and mine would run CM 10.1, most likely.

Here's my problem: We both need a phone that can use Google Wallet. I know the S3 is perfectly capable, but Cricket blocks the GW app from being used. Funnily enough, one of their chat representatives tried to convince me otherwise a while back.

Anyway, I've seen a few methods on doing this from using a patched APK to editing the build.prop file. I'm under the impression that the methods I've seen all require root. I guess what I'm asking is if GW can be reliably installed on a Cricket S3 whether or not it's rooted (or root, install GW, then un-root and still have GW work in the case of my wife's phone).

Also, to anyone who is using a custom ROM like CM 10.1, does LTE still work? for that matter, is there anything on the S3 that doesn't work with a custom ROM? I'm looking over the ROMs sub-forum, so I'll probably find the answer on my own.

I may have other questions, but thanks in advance for any replies!

EDIT: I did think of one: Does anyone know if Cricket will port numbers from Virgin Mobile US?
    Last edited by SoulDroid; 05-08-2013 at 02:38 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Cricket should port numbers from ANY carrier. As far as features go, everything works correctly on custom ROMs except for the proprietary samsung features that are built into Touchwiz, if you want those features you must use a Touchwiz ROM. As far as google wallet goes I'm the wrong guy to answer that question.

Sent from another Galaxy...

Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks for the tips!

I wasn't too worried about losing any TouchWiz features. After all, I gave up everything from Sense to run JB on my EVO V 4G.

Speaking of my EVO, here's an example of what I meant by things that might not work: Official development on that phone ended with ICS ROMs. A few devs have been able to get a some very workable and stable JB builds with *almost* everything working. The one thing that all JB ROMs for the EVO V 4G have in common is that the 3D camera will not work. Regular camera and camcorder functions are fine, just no 3D. I don't really miss it, TBH.

I can say this, touh, when I do get an S3, I'll live with the stock ROM for a little while. I've played around with my Mom's S3 and haven't seen anything that's "Samsung/TouchWiz specific" I can't do without.

No worries about the Google Wallet issue. I'm sure someone will come along with some input

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    FEB 2013
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

No google wallet at all tried different methods. CM just released their RC haven't tried it just yet need to get home.

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Well I can tell you that with the exception of the Samsung/Touchwiz stuff EVERY feature that works on stock works on custom ROMs.

Sent from another Galaxy...

Thread Information