Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

USB OTG Fried my Galaxy S3

I just wanted to post a warning for those using the nice little USB OTG feature of our S3's. The other night my buddy came to me and asked "What happens if you hook a webcam up to our phones?" I had done it before but couldn't remember the results so I said "Let's find out!" Well this time I will never forget the results. My SIII went dark and a few moments later my bluetooth said connection lost. I wasn't all that worried at first but when I tried to start my phone again NOTHING happened! No lights, no sounds, and no vibrations. Pulling the battery did nothing and plugging in the charger offered no difference. I did notice that after being on charge for a while, roughly 30 minutes the area under the home key began to get very warm. Even through the fairly thick holster sleeve I use. I have never felt my phone get anything close to this warm before. I have used many devices (printer, ps3 remote, xbox 360 remote, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, and flash drives) all with pretty decent success. As I had mentioned, I have hooked the same camera up before without issue. But for some unknown reason on that night my phone took a dive. Believe it or not the outcome was GREAT!! I didn't need to worry about the phone being rooted or modified AT ALL. Cricket replaced the phone as a warranty exchange for $20. The same woman that sold me my original S3 was the one to give me the replacement and she let me keep the old battery ($40) and a new charger and data cable ($35). The only thing I didn't get was a new set of ear buds. Then I registered my new phone and got a second %50 off coupon from Samsung! Which I used to buy a new OTG cable ($10) and the C-Pen ($15). I have never been so happy to break such an expensive phone This is the cable I was using when this happened.
    Amazon.com: SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG On-The-Go Cable Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

I don't believe it was the cable itself. It is actually very well made for the price. I have read a few stories of this happening to others before with different cables. Some even went as far as testing their cables and found no shorts. Personally I cut mine in half and tossed it in the garbage. From what I've read the theory has something to do with the power management IC going haywire. The S3 is the only phone I have read about that has done this. I can offer no solutions, just a little advanced warning that this CAN happen! Good luck to all.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Interesting. Thanks for the details and heads up

Sent from my Cricket GS4
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Wow, nutty. I'll have to keep an eye out then.

Sent from another Galaxy...

Overall activity: 2.0%

Just a small update. I tried the web camera again with a different cable and for those who are wondering nothing happens. Nothing good, nothing bad lol. The original S3 was on stock rom, rooted, and bloatware removed.

Thread Information