Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Unsold iPhones Piling Up at Leap Wireless (Cricket)

Alright, I thought this was funny because for the longest time, even I didn't know that the iPhone 5 was back in stock and available for purchase at Cricket. After the fiasco with unlocked phones going overseas, I thought they had pulled to plug for a while on it.

Well many are available for purchase. If your customers have to ask, is it available then you haven't done a good job of making it known that they were.

Wall Street Journal

For Leap Wireless, a big bet on the iPhone is becoming a big headache, Anton Troianovski reports on Markets Hub. Photo: Getty Images.

Video available here:
    Unsold iPhones Piling Up at Leap Wireless - WSJ.com

For one of the country's prepaid cellphone carriers, a big bet on the iPhone is becoming a big headache.

Leap Wireless International

Inc.,
    LEAP -0.76%

which operates the Cricket cellphone brand, said it is on pace to sell half as many iPhones as it committed to sell during the first year of its contract with
    Apple

Inc.,
    AAPL +2.64%

which ends in June.
    As a result, Leap said, it could end up with $100 million worth of unsold iPhones by the middle of this year. That spells more trouble for Leap, a company struggling to keep pace with larger competitors, and sheds light on the challenges facing Apple in cracking the huge market for smartphones being bought by lower-income consumers.

Why is an old iPhone still worth hundreds of dollars? New research suggests a surprising explanation: hoarding. Kelli Grant explains on digits. Photo: Getty Images.

Leap, which has about 5.3 million total subscribers, is also handicapped by the fact it lacks the robust nationwide networks of the country's biggest carriers, and because technological limits mean it can't sell the iPhone in all of its markets.
    Leap last year became the first major pay-as-you-go carrier in the U.S. to offer the iPhone. National carriers like
    AT&T

Inc.
    T +1.02%

and Verizon Wireless subsidize customers' iPhone purchases in exchange for two-year contract commitments.

Leap, on the other hand, is selling the iPhone for more money up frontó$500 for the latest modelóbut doesn't requiring customers to sign contracts and charges less per month than other carriers do.

U.S. carriers have been looking for ways to reduce the amount of money they spend on subsidies, which have grown as consumers have been drawn to more expensive devices like the iPhone. But the weak iPhone sales at Leap indicate that weaning customers off of subsidies will be a tall order, even though buying phones at full price is common in Europe and elsewhere.

Apple regularly convinces wireless carriers seeking to sell the iPhone to commit to buying a large number of the devices. Given the iPhone's popularity, meeting those commitments generally hasn't been a problem for carriers.

But as part of its annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, Leap disclosed its iPhone purchase commitment did present a challenge. The company said it was working to improve iPhone sales with more marketing and offering more financing for buyers of the device, and noted that its contract with Apple allowed it to lower the price at which it sells the iPhone to consumers.

Leap spokesman Gregory Lund said the company is in discussions with Apple and that the slow iPhone sales came as the company's overall customer additions were lower than expected in the fourth quarter. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

"We are not concerned about...meeting the Apple commitment," Chief Operating Officer Jerry Elliott said in a conference call with analysts last week. "We think that's going to be fine."

Analysts, however, voiced concern. BTIG Research analyst Walter Piecyk said in a research note on Wednesday that the poor iPhone sales could worsen the company's cash burn. He estimated Leap expects to have sold about 160,000 iPhones by June, the end of the first year of its contract with Apple, leaving the company on the hook for buying another 160,000. Mr. Lund declined to comment on that estimate.

Moody's Investors Service downgraded Leap debt on Tuesday by one notch further into junk territory, citing the iPhone purchase commitment as one concern.
    For Apple, Leap's disclosure highlights headwinds on the low end of the market. The company has faced an onslaught of competition from lower-priced

smartphones running
    Google

Inc.'s
    GOOG +2.08%

Android operating system. To help crack the market for cheaper devices, the company has been working on a lower-priced iPhone, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

But even on the high end, Apple is facing steep competition. Leap's Mr. Elliott said Apple faced strong competition from
    Samsung Electronics

Co.'s
    005930.SE +0.97%

latest smartphone, the Galaxy S III. "I would say there was a stronger device in our lineup," he said, referring to the S III.

Write to Anton Troianovski at anton.troianovski@wsj.com

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    iPhone 5

I'm actually glad they have so many iPhones still unsold. I personally have an iPhone 5 from Cricket but the fact that it does not have 4G just kills me. I would turn to an SIII but have had bad experiences with Android phones and have just preferred to stick with Apple. I doubt this will end well but it could end better by placing 4G on the iPhone.

Customer Since
    12/2009

It is economical to be on $55 3G plan, being on 3G $55 the data cap last longer than other wise on 4G!

Phone
    Wireless Workshop

I have a solution Cricket! Give some dan inventory to your dealers.. let them sell the damn phones!

Overall activity: 6.0%

How about advertising the dam phones. I don't see any commercials of s3 or i5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Every dealer here locally has an iPhone 5 sign. The no 4g sucks but there's no 4g in my area either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Phone
    Wireless Workshop

Still no inventory for dealers! WTF? Either this story is bogus or Cricket has the worst inventory management people ever! I suspect the latter is true.

Customer Since
    BYE
    Phone
    I DONT USE ACCOUNT

sad cricket

i work at a cricket store and its not a ( PREMIER ) store so we dont carry the iphone 5 or any iphone for that matter but any way, we get about 3 to 6 customers a week asking for the iphone 4/5 but we send them away because we are told we cant sell them because we are not a ( PREMIER ), if cricket just gave the iphones to EVERY STORE they would sell more, not anyone's fault but theirs for punishing stores that want to sell more then 1 carrier!

if the store i work at only sold cricket, we would not be in business and not make rent and bills or be able to buy the phones, so selling other carriers HELP!

customers also come in and say WOW $200 $400 $700 for a phone, wow i can pay the deposit at another carrier with 2 year contract and get that phone for cheap, we say this is contract free, they LOL and walk away! for some reason no one wants to pay full price for a phone (me to)

Last edited by pvsoares; 06-03-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Cricket has sent out iphone advertisements in my area, and we are one of the markets that does not get iphones.

Thread Information