Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Frankenphone Part II

Switching CPUs didn't work. Not the same connections or shape. However, and this is a big however, the screen assemblies for all of the S4s are the same. At least 4 different flavors, including the R970 and the I337 use the same screens. I lucked upon an AT&T S4 with a broken screen for $60 yesterday. I'm going to pay off the Cricket S4 (no sense in waiting to see how they handle having a balance when forced to buy a new phone). And then I'm going to put the screen assembly from my CDMA S4 to the GSM S4. Unless the GSM S4 has other problems, it should work. And I'll finally get the 4g that was promised to me when I bought the S4. What do you think?
    Happy side effect is that the value of the CDMA S4s will stay above what the value of a used screen assembly for any other S4 is.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Maybe not so easy. I'll have to separate the glass and lcd from the phone as a unit. It's glued into the frame. If I can do that, the rest is a snap. But it is doable, which is my point. Convert my CDMA phone into a GSM phone for about $60.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

IIRC samsung made the screen and lcd as a single unit. $60 way less than cost of normal repair shop

I didn't find anything for IIRC Samsung when I Googled it. Is that a sponsor, or a web site? I'm still going to try to get mine off without any damage, but if there is damage, I'll have to get a cover and LED.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

IIRC is an acronym it means 'if i remember correctly' . . this here should help
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/21843

Good and bad news. Started assembling all of the parts yesterday. The motherboard on the new is iffy. Sometimes the video works, sometimes not. Same for power up. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I played with it for a couple of hours before giving up. The good news is that the screen is good. Which means that I can sell it for more than I paid for it. I ordered a "Very good" condition whole phone on Swappa. I hate getting stuff that doesn't quite work as advertised. So the frankenphone is back on the shelf, for now. I'll sell the parts and I'll break a little better than even on the project.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

At least your pocketbook wasn't hit too hard in the end!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information