Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 6.0%

How to tell Cricket Galaxy S4 CDMA from GSM

Hello everyone, I am new to Cricket and this forum so please forgive me if I asked a dumb question. I've been using Boost Mobile all my life and only recently had I decided to switch to Cricket. I won an auction on eBay for a "Samsung Galaxy S4 - 16GB - White Frost (Cricket)". The seller said it comes with a SIM card but because I knew Cricket had recently switched their network from CDMA to GSM and is currently not accepting any new CDMA customers, so I asked the seller to provide me with pictures of the phone. (see attached) Seller couldn't provide IMEI since he doesn't want to turn on the phone (condition as 'new'), and the IMEI isn't on the label at the back, so I can't tell whether he's selling me an obsolete CDMA S4 or a new GSM S4.

If you happened to have seen both versions (CDMA & GSM), please help me out. I have yet to pay him. Thanks a bunch!

capture1.pngcapture2.png

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Customer Since
    June 2014
    Phone
    HTC Sensation/

SIM cards came with the obsolete ones. They were for access to the network-- they're actually called UICC cards in this case. Basically a SIM for CDMA. If you have another GSM phone laying around you'll probably see that the UICC card doesn't work with it. If it does, then it maybe the GSM version.

Overall activity: 6.0%

Quote Originally Posted by eduardog131 View Post
    SIM cards came with the obsolete ones. They were for access to the network-- they're actually called UICC cards in this case. Basically a SIM for CDMA. If you have another GSM phone laying around you'll probably see that the UICC card doesn't work with it. If it does, then it maybe the GSM version.
    Do they look identical? I haven't paid for the purchase yet and I have a strong feeling that this is one of those obsolete CDMA phones. Do you think if I insist on the seller to provide the IMEI then I would be able to verify it since only GSM carries 15 digits IMEI?

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Have them look in the settings for the model number.

CDMA: SCHR970C

GSM: SGH-I337ZKZAIO

EDIT: Oh okay... New... Well it should have the stuff on the box, and if they don't have the box then who cares if it's "new" and someone turned the phone on. I wouldn't pony up any money if they can't do this. That doesn't even look like a normal Samsung sticker? Take a better picture so you can see the model number.

I guess some S4s were made in China, but I thought they call came from Korea.
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 06-27-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

It's an Old Cricket CDMA phone. You can see the model number to the right of the top bar code.

Overall activity: 2.0%

Customer Since
    June 2014

All Samsung galaxy S series since the S3 are all the same . Different inside the back cover is different OS is different to each proprietor (service provider). All yes all have have CDMA & GSM & WGSM ability. The ones that you do not see the SIM card it's because it is hidden inside the phone behide the cover under the battery. *#197328640# .it's a nice code to use just to quick check if CDMA or GSM is activated in the phone. PM me if you need help with Samsung Galaxy series

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

You can still activate devices on CDMA service with cricket, just saying.

"*#197328640# .it's a nice code to use just to quick check if CDMA or GSM is activated in the phone."

Tried it. Got "The use of this feature is not available at this time. If you need assistance, call Cricket customer service ..." on my bone stock Cricket S4. There are physical differences in the logic boards and antennae. I tried to use an AT&T M919 logic board in my Cricket S4 and the Cricket phone had an extra antenna coax connections. My phone may have the ability to use AT&T's frequency bands, but it's not programmed to allow it. Too bad.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

i'm still pretty sure this device lacks the physical hardware modem that supports att GSM bands.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    i'm still pretty sure this device lacks the physical hardware modem that supports att GSM bands.
    I'm thinking there must be a good reason or it would be better for AT&T to have Samsung post an update.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 5.0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    AT&T Moto Atrix HD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
    You can still activate devices on CDMA service with cricket, just saying.
    from what i been told " NOT in ALL LOCATIONS "
    but my location still does lol.... its sad....

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    "*#197328640# .it's a nice code to use just to quick check if CDMA or GSM is activated in the phone."

Tried it. Got "The use of this feature is not available at this time. If you need assistance, call Cricket customer service ..." on my bone stock Cricket S4. There are physical differences in the logic boards and antennae. I tried to use an AT&T M919 logic board in my Cricket S4 and the Cricket phone had an extra antenna coax connections. My phone may have the ability to use AT&T's frequency bands, but it's not programmed to allow it. Too bad.
    i read that people can place a SPRINT Samsung Note 3 on AT&T so makes me think no belive that some how its possible to flash or odian a MODEM on there for GSM.... hmmmm

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post

i read that people can place a SPRINT Samsung Note 3 on AT&T so makes me think no belive that some how its possible to flash or odian a MODEM on there for GSM.... hmmmm

Thread Information