Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

Is it possible or permitted? -- to tether (or mobile hotspot) using the 4G LTE plan?

I'm wondering if I change to the 4G LTE plan (and get a suitable phone) .. if it's possible to use this as a tether (or mobile hotspot) for a samsung tab-2 tablet (which is wifi only)? -- I would only use it this way on occasion and for short periods at a time.

Explanation:
    I'm looking to get a Samsung Tab-2 (7.0) simply as a platform for use as a GPS navigation device for us in our small RV. I doubt the Tab-2 would be used more than a handful of times over the course of a year. And even then it'll only be for GPS NAV (driving maps) & maybe looking to see what sights, RV campsites, gas-stations, or other attractions are available at the destination. On second thought... I'd also use it to maintain email contact while on the road (2 or 3 days at a time..maybe). The reason I'm needing a separate tablet (min. of 7" screen)... is because my wife will be using it mostly (as we travel around)...and she can't deal with small screens well.

The 4G phone itself really doesn't matter too much to me...as long as it works well as a good phone with decent speakerphone sound.

I'm semi-retired so I find I only use my current phone (DroidX2) for phone calls 99% of the time. I barely do a handful of txt msgs each month, and the only apps I ever use are simple reminder & calendar tools. I don't stream music or videos and have only twice sent pictures over the last 16 months. Basically, all those things that most folks (far younger than myself) use their smartphones for... I tend to do at home either on a desktop or maybe a laptop. Otherwise, my phone (for me) serves simply as a phone.

I realize the 4G plan might not even be necessary perhaps... but it's not much more than my current $50 plan...and I figure it might be nice to have the faster speed for the few times needed as a tether/hotspot for the Tab-2. Also, I'm aware that Cricket's 4G coverage is somewhat limited, but that's not a concern (I'm guessing) because smaller towns & such should (if I understand correctly) still have 3G service which is adequate too.

Any comments/ alternative suggestions/ caveats or other responses are most welcome.

Thanks!
    djr~
    Last edited by djr~; 07-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by djr~ View Post
    I would only use it this way on occasion and for short periods at a time.

Explanation:
    I'm looking to get a Samsung Tab-2 (7.0) simply as a platform for use as a GPS navigation device for us in our small RV. I doubt the Tab-2 would be used more than a handful of times over the course of a year.
    i doubt cricket would be what you're looking for honestly. it has coverage in most of the cities and free-ways. but if you're lost out in the country you'd need a better carrier.
    it may be cheaper to keep your service and add the hotspot feature to your plan when you need it as you travel. otherwise i know the bigger networks provide a hotspot device in addition to your plan. you probbaly don't need 4g service for gps imo, 3g would be ok for me.

Overall activity: 2.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Thanks very much for your response Indica. Your comments sent me back to looking at my original assumptions about 4G service, and the reasons I thought it might be required.

So after looking into it further, I see now that it would probably be better to just add on the extra hotspot service as needed (just as you suggested). Even though coverage might be somewhat better elsewhere, I actually do prefer Cricket over the major carriers and have been a satisfied Cricket customer for over 18 months now.

Again, thanks very much for your helpful feedback.

Cheers!

Thread Information