Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Problem Activating ZTE Phone

My wife and I have been long time users of cricket and she recently had her kyocera zio stolen. We called and had the service suspended the the ESN locked. Then we went out to purchase a new phone. It was late and the only place open was Walmart so we headed in there and bought the android ZTE phone.

Called tech support and was told there was no way for that to work with her account. The support guy said the only way we could "convert" a paygo phone to her account was to keep the service as a paygo phone for 1+ month and then we could switch it over.

So we took the phone back to walmart and got a refund on the phone. I got on the website and asked if the phones on the website could be used and was told by a tech support person on the chat that they "didnt think so".

The nearest "corporate" store is about 30-40 miles away and they are currently closed. I am at a point where I kind of wonder if I am being fed a line. Is a cricket phone a cricket phone?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    -Chris

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

The phones at walmart and best buy are paygo as you were told. They cost less usually so they can only be put on paygo. Different subsidy structure.

Any phone you buy at any cricket store will work on your account. You dont need to go to a corp store to get a new phone.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

what about the phones on the website?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Currently the website is only for new activations. If you bought a phone there it would be a new line with a new number.
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Overall activity: 4.0%

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Woof is correct. Those PayGo phones sold at the big retail outlets (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Dollar General, etc.) can only be activated in our systems as a PayGo device, and can only be converted to a monthly plan after 30+ days of usage. A corporate store may be able to bend the rules for you, but it's up to them. (I would highly doubt they can do anything different than an authorized dealer.) If you've already got your money back from Wal-Mart, the phone is on sale for $89.99 in stores.

Thanks, it looks like we will either be picking up a used phone or going with another carrier and porting the number for her phone. Being that we work during the week and the weekend is the only time we can purchase a phone.

They are missing a segment of the market by not selling phones on their website for those who have plans and need replacements. By not advertising that you cannot use the paygo with the regular plans they are also loosing customers. The fine print on the box even says that you have to use it with cricket (not cricket paygo) service.

Anyways that's the last of my rant. Thank you for answering my questions.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by partyharty View Post
    Thanks, it looks like we will either be picking up a used phone or going with another carrier and porting the number for her phone. Being that we work during the week and the weekend is the only time we can purchase a phone.

They are missing a segment of the market by not selling phones on their website for those who have plans and need replacements. By not advertising that you cannot use the paygo with the regular plans they are also loosing customers. The fine print on the box even says that you have to use it with cricket (not cricket paygo) service.

Are you talking about the phones on mycricket.com? I'm 99% sure you can purchase a phone for upgrade there. I've had customers do it in the past.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby9058 View Post
    Woof is correct. Those PayGo phones sold at the big retail outlets (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Dollar General, etc.) can only be activated in our systems as a PayGo device, and can only be converted to a monthly plan after 30+ days of usage. A corporate store may be able to bend the rules for you, but it's up to them. (I would highly doubt they can do anything different than an authorized dealer.) If you've already got your money back from Wal-Mart, the phone is on sale for $89.99 in stores.
    It's actually 90 days of usage.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby9058 View Post
    Are you talking about the phones on mycricket.com? I'm 99% sure you can purchase a phone for upgrade there. I've had customers do it in the past.
    Not currently. No upgrades online. They are trying to drive business into the stores.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Well, I guess I learned something new today! Thanks for the info, Woof! I had not been informed of those changes.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

While I understand your frustration the boxes are clearly marked Paygo, which I am assuming you know you dont have.

Which walmart in near Benton are you going to? There is a Cricket store on Military Rd a stones throw from the one on I30. They will have Cricket phones for sale I would think.

Hello Woof,

You are correct, there is a store on military (we actually stopped by there earlier today), unfortunately they closed today at 2pm and won't be open tomorrow.

I was told last night that it was 30 days before we could switch the phone from a paygo to a normal cricket account.

Also, no disrespect but I am probably one of the 90 percent of the population that doesn't know that the standard plans does not equal paygo. Obviously I made the percentage up to make a point but I would guess that a lot of people simply don't know there is a difference. I didn't until this issue cropped up.

In fact if you go to the wikipedia page it states that paygo was integrated into cricket in 2009 (under the timeline). I generally don't keep up with the goings and comings of cricket and to be honest, if they will take my money and provide me good phone/internet service, I am a happy guy. Wife's phone was stolen, we suspended the service, as it was late I went to walmart and picked up a phone that in big letters stated "CRICKET" (with smaller letters stating paygo underneath). Open the flap and it says that they have a $55 android plan (which is what we thought we had).

Yes we are frustrated, we are not privy to the contract process that cricket goes through with their resellers, we just want to buy a phone and have it activated on a cricket plan that has already been paid for this month. Instead we are going to go and pickup a competitors phone and have it activated and the phone ported because there is no way we can get a true "Cricket" phone before the weekend closes.

If this is the way cricket wants to do business, so be it. I can only make suggestions (and I doubt they will be listened to). From my experience it is usually not in a companies best interest to fraction their customer base unless there are very specific issues. It often leads to confusion and frustration (as it has in my case)

I do appreciate the help I have received here esp from Woof, I have been a lurker on here from time to time and have noticed that a lot of people receive the help they need thanks to this board. Thanks to everyone here, you provide a valuable service.

I was so sure I read a thread on here that said you could purchase a PAYGo phone and have it switched over.

I think it's ridiculous that there are Cricket phones at Wal-Mart and Best Buy yet they cannot be activated on a regular plan.

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble partyharty, but if you can't get a store it might be best to switch carriers. I guess it's possible you can go back to Wal-Mart and get the phone and "port" your number from Cricket to Cricket, as stupid as that sounds.. Just remember that you will be getting 1,000 minutes, not unlimited, and 500 MB of data before throttling, not 1 GB. The bonus is you will get Muve Music, so that would be something you could mess around with.

I'll leave my comment at that because I can go on and on about this all night.

actually we asked tech support about that last night and got an emphatic no. I really did not want to take the phone back because I figured that it would be a problem to take an opened cellphone back to walmart (which btw it wasn't).

Wife wouldn't have a problem with the less data (I am the data "hog" of the family with about 2gb used per month) and she would love the music. We were told that we could set up a new account but that we could not port her current number over (and would have to get a new number).

actually we asked tech support about that last night and got an emphatic no. I really did not want to take the phone back because I figured that it would be a problem to take an opened cellphone back to walmart (which btw it wasn't).

Wife wouldn't have a problem with the less data (I am the data "hog" of the family with about 2gb used per month) and she would love the music. We were told that we could set up a new account but that we could not port her current number over (and would have to get a new number).
    Wal-Mart seems to take everything back..

Well, you can port a number from Sprint to Virgin Mobile, which are both on the same network, so why not Cricket to Cricket?

If you need to, you can try porting out to Page Plus Cellular. After the port is completed, then port your number back to Cricket.

I'm hoping there won't be a problem because the number will have originally been a Cricket number, but that shouldn't matter. It's just like if somebody was with Cricket five years ago, went to Sprint, and came back.

So, you can try that if you'd like. You can go get the Wal-Mart phone tonight so you at least have something, and then work with porting your number at another time. It might take a few days to get it ported to Page Plus, and then a few days to port back, but eventually you should have your number.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Please keep in mind that the Cricket phone from Wal-Mart is using Sprint's network, not Cricket's, so you might notice a difference in signal.

I appreciate the help but I really think the wife is going to go with a competitor. Where I tend to work through all the stuff to get things working again, she is one of those people that dosen't have a probelm changing companies if thats what it takes to get the job done.

She is a teacher who started working in a school and her phone didn't work indoors. She has called around to other teachers to find out what companies work indoors and she is headed out to get a new phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information