Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Phone
    Samsung Vitality

Sanyo Zio Vs. Huawei Ascend II Comparison Request

First off, n00b here (Both the forum & smartphones in general)

Recently I purchased a Sanyo Zio from my local COMPANY RUN store only to find that it not only doesn't have the latest version of the Android OS (Which is Android Gingerbread) but that it also doesn't support Flash (Something which is a neccessity on the web these days)

I bought it because it was on sale for only $99

But after doing a little poking around on the website, I found the Huawei Ascend II which (According to the specs) DOES have Gingerbread. Now before I make an EVEN BIGGER mistake by pluncking down MORE $$$ & exchanging the Sanyo Zio for the Huawei Ascend II, I need to know if it supports Flash or would it be better to just wait for an update for the Sanyo Zio which would accomplish the same result?

A little insight would be appreciated

Cheers

Pat

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Ascend for the win

I've owned both. the zio, Is buggy and slow, the asceend runs much better and smooth! I had the ascend I not II, but im assuming the II is probably even better than the I.
    Last edited by BJH088; 10-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.

You should be able to get Android 2.2 on the Sanyo Zio.

The Huawei Ascend 2 doesn't support flash, but it does have Android 2.3 like you mentioned.

If you need a phone with flash check out the Samsung Indulge or Huawei Glory (which should be coming soon). I'm not sure if the Samsung Vitality has flash or not.

Phone
    Samsung Vitality

Quote Originally Posted by BJH088 View Post
    I've owned both. the zio, Is buggy and slow, the asceend runs much better and smooth! I had the ascend I not II, but im assuming the II is probably even better than the I.
    Yeah I've noticed that it can be a little slow but that's not really as much of a biggie as the bugginess though. On occasion, the bug rears its ugly head but once have I had to resort to draining the battery to force close an app because it won't display the dialog prompting me to do so (And I think that was more of a bug within the app than anything)

What annoys me the most is when the phone takes FOREVER to load the list of installed apps whenever I uninstall an app (Sometimes it never stops) & all the shortcuts on the home screen which can't be associated with an installed app (Wish those could be removed because they take away space that could be better used for installed apps)

Hopefully the Ascend is much better

Cheers

Pat

Phone
    Samsung Vitality

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    You should be able to get Android 2.2 on the Sanyo Zio.

The Huawei Ascend 2 doesn't support flash, but it does have Android 2.3 like you mentioned.

If you need a phone with flash check out the Samsung Indulge or Huawei Glory (which should be coming soon). I'm not sure if the Samsung Vitality has flash or not.
    Those are outside my price range though. Now I wondering about the Blackberry Curve 8530. The Cricket website has it on sale at $159.99

Given my recent purchase, I could probably exchange the Sanyo Zio & get the Blackberry Curve with only about a $60 to $70 price different (But that's if it supports Flash though)

If not, well then I guess I'll just have to suck it up & wait until the ones you mention come down in price Every site that I can't fully view without Flash are the live streaming video sites which all have apps which (Except for BlogTV) supposedly don't depend on Flash (UStream says their app will work so I can watch video but it hasn't yet as I get connection errors. I've addressed this on the UStream board)

Cheers

Pat
    Last edited by PC Bigboy; 10-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Bigboy View Post
    Those are outside my price range though. Now I wondering about the Blackberry Curve 8530. The Cricket website has it on sale at $159.99

Given my recent purchase, I could probably exchange the Sanyo Zio & get the Blackberry Curve with only about a $60 to $70 price different (But that's if it supports Flash though)

If not, well then I guess I'll just have to suck it up & wait until the ones you mention come down in price Every site that I can't fully view without Flash are the live streaming video sites which all have apps which (Except for BlogTV) supposedly don't depend on Flash (UStream says their app will work so I can watch video but it hasn't yet as I get connection errors. I've addressed this on the UStream board)

Cheers

Pat
    I would go with the Huawei Ascend 2. It might not have flash, but it should run a lot better than your current phone.

If I remember correctly I've had problems with Ustream on my phone in the past. I thought it had something to do with flash.

Most applications do work fine though, including Netflix.

Customer Since
    Jun 2011
    Phone
    Motorola Razr 16GB

im kind of hoping to see the huawei honor to come to cricket! has 2 camera's like the htc evo 4g 512mb ram/ 4gb rom

Huawei Honor specs

Phone
    Samsung Vitality

Quote Originally Posted by FF2CO4 View Post
    im kind of hoping to see the huawei honor to come to cricket! has 2 camera's like the htc evo 4g 512mb ram/ 4gb rom

Huawei Honor specs

I think I'll wait to see if Cricket grabs this phone. If they do (And the price is cheap enough), I just might go for it

But if that Blackberry Curve 8530 will do what I want now, I might grab that & hold off on the Huawei Honor for a little while (Assuming Cricket jumps on this phone that is) as it'll likely be awhile before the price comes down anyway

BTW Avenue, I have Android 2.21 on the Sanyo Zio

Cheers

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by FF2CO4 View Post

Huawei Honor specs

Quote Originally Posted by PC Bigboy View Post
    I think I'll wait to see if Cricket grabs this phone. If they do (And the price is cheap enough), I just might go for it

But if that Blackberry Curve 8530 will do what I want now, I might grab that & hold off on the Huawei Honor for a little while (Assuming Cricket jumps on this phone that is) as it'll likely be awhile before the price comes down anyway

BTW Avenue, I have Android 2.21 on the Sanyo Zio

Cheers

Pat
    The Huawei Glory, which should be similar (if not the same except for it having Tri-Band CDMA), should be coming to Cricket in November. The date that keeps coming to mind is November 4th. So, in about a month, it should be here, unless something changes.

Plan on spending $300 for the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little cheaper ($279.99 would be with $20 online discount). If they put a $50 mail-in rebate on that would be even better.

PC Bigboy, does the Blackberry Curve have Adobe Flash? I didn't think it did.

You can always look into putting a ROM on your phone. I don't know if there are any available or the Sanyo Zio though. I have the latest version of Android on my Ascend with CyanogenMod 7. I just updated it yesterday actually.

Customer Since
    Jun 2011
    Phone
    Motorola Razr 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    The Huawei Glory, which should be similar (if not the same except for it having Tri-Band CDMA), should be coming to Cricket in November. The date that keeps coming to mind is November 4th. So, in about a month, it should be here, unless something changes.

Plan on spending $300 for the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little cheaper ($279.99 would be with $20 online discount). If they put a $50 mail-in rebate on that would be even better.

PC Bigboy, does the Blackberry Curve have Adobe Flash? I didn't think it did.

You can always look into putting a ROM on your phone. I don't know if there are any available or the Sanyo Zio though. I have the latest version of Android on my Ascend with CyanogenMod 7. I just updated it yesterday actually.
    id be happy if my phone had a flash.. that is its only downfall

Thread Information