Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Question AT&T phone on cricket, will i still get AT&T updates

It was time for a replacement of the old HTC Evo 4G so i found a sweet deal on a used Galaxy Note 2 from AT&T. Its unlocked (not that that matters). Its running 4.1.1 which is much better than anything I had on the EVO, but I'm interested in trying out the new 4.4. I've seen that there sending out OTA updates for the Note 2 now and was wondering if I will still get the update even though my phone isn't on AT&T now? I've done the manual check with my phone and it keeps saying software is up to date. I didn't like some of the side affects of developer roms from the evo, so I would love to keep the factory software and get 4.4 if possible. Any one have any ideal?

Oh, and I searched but couldn't find anything...

Joe
    Galaxy Note 2 I317

2. Remove this advertisement.

Customer Since
    Feb 2014

I'm in the same situation with an unlocked LG G Pro I set up on AIO. AT&T came out with the KitKat update for the G Pro back in late May. My phone will not update and I can't force it. Do I need to install an AT&T Sim card to get the update?

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

from what i've read, yes just put in the original carrier sim and it should be allowed to update for either device. otherwise try to find the update from the manufacturer itself. like kies or lg update tools

Customer Since
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    from what i've read, yes just put in the original carrier sim and it should be allowed to update for either device. otherwise try to find the update from the manufacturer itself. like kies or lg update tools
    Thanks. Do you know if I install the original AT&T Sim card does the card need to have an active AT&T account associated with it, or do I just need to connect to the AT&T network?

Overall activity: 1.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by trucknut25 View Post
    It was time for a replacement of the old HTC Evo 4G so i found a sweet deal on a used Galaxy Note 2 from AT&T. Its unlocked (not that that matters). Its running 4.1.1 which is much better than anything I had on the EVO, but I'm interested in trying out the new 4.4. I've seen that there sending out OTA updates for the Note 2 now and was wondering if I will still get the update even though my phone isn't on AT&T now? I've done the manual check with my phone and it keeps saying software is up to date. I didn't like some of the side affects of developer roms from the evo, so I would love to keep the factory software and get 4.4 if possible. Any one have any ideal?

Oh, and I searched but couldn't find anything...

Joe
    Galaxy Note 2 I317
    It may be the sim you are using. But I doubt it. Are you familar with samsung kies? You may want to read up on it. If you have access to a pc. You could install kies on the pc and hook up phone to see if it will catch ota. Part of the problem is the phone is still on 4.1.1..In order for you to update by ota. You may have to go through the ota updates to 4.1.2 and 4.3 before you get to kit kat. In the mean time. Check your phone in settings and see if it says modified. For all you know. The phone may have tripped knox? You can downlpad a app called phone info from playstore. It is made for samsung phones and will give you all this info. Im betting your phone was unlocked with the dialer trick. If so. You may be running the wrong kernel/ bootloader combo and it will not ota like this. Check out the xda forums for our phone for more info. I know you said you dont like roms. But there are two new stock kit kat roms on there. I just updated mine like that. It was a process and you do have to be careful. Please read as much as possible before you do anything. Good luck.

Customer Since
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by garymeter48 View Post
    I'm in the same situation with an unlocked LG G Pro I set up on AIO. AT&T came out with the KitKat update for the G Pro back in late May. My phone will not update and I can't force it. Do I need to install an AT&T Sim card to get the update?
    Last night I used an AT&T sim card in my G Pro and was successful in updating to KitKat 4.4.2. The card was an active account with voice and text service but no data service. It was an 800 MB update that took about an hour to down load. I wonder if this is the way all MVNO's work, not pushing the updates?

I ended up using one of the new kit kat roms posted on xda and installed via odin. All the playing I did with my phone changed the status to modified so I wouldn't have gotten the OTA update anyway. My phone was unlocked via AT&T, I wonder if that could have changed my phone status to modified?

Joe
    Galaxy Note 2 I317

Customer Since
    May 2014

I have the Galaxy Note 2 and I use to be with At&t before moving over to Cricket. As soon as I seen an article about At&t droppin an update for KitKat, I just did the update without changing SIM cards or searching on any websites. I hit software update and it updated...no problems

Icecort, I believe ya. All that had to be done on the other phone of his was to reset back to factory stock. Get rid of su and custom recovery. Mod status wouldthen go away and update would succeed. Pretty simple. I did it. Then re rooted. Stuck with ne5 Bootloader now. But at least root.

Thread Information