Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 9.0%

Customer Since
    January

Question Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 - Help Needed

I am a person of average to above average intelligence with 2 concerns

My first and most relevant concern is that I went to a Cricket certified Gamestop to get them to activate my Verizon Galaxy S3 for cricket service. I assumed all that would have to happen was to insert a SIM card but the clerk inserted a "test SIM" and he informed me that it wouldn't dial out.

Due to research I believe that this phone is certainly unlocked however I do not think the settings are fit to support the cricket carrier. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Secondly I love technology! I've taught myself photoshop, some programming, flash (animating) and many others that require a bit of tech savvy. I would love to know how to do these things that I see your community engaging in but I don't understand the terminology and I need a bit of a starting point. Any Help?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Customer Since
    January

I called Verizon to get them to act on their "Unlocking" policy and they told me that my phone IS unlocked while ironically telling me in the same breath, Its is not their problem if it cant work on other carriers..... The world is so filthy
    Whomever doesnt exist inside the circle is shadowed rather than sheltered

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1. Look to see if your s3 uses the same gsm radio bands as att.
    2. Reading & google are your teacher.

Overall activity: 56.0%

Make sure you switch the Verizon S3 from CDMA/LTE to GSM/LTE in Mobile Networks settings. You will also need to add Cricket APN settings to get Internet and MMS working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

As alpineman says, see if this works. Insert sim. Turn on phone. During activation, if prompt says sim is not verizon with option to use wifi, then select wifi and connect to wifi. Once setup completes, go to menu/settings/mobile networks or wireless&networks and change to GSM or Global Mode. Download an app to change APN settings to those mention on this website.

Overall activity: 0%

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 that I just switched to Cricket. As the others have said and the post above me.. it does work, you just have to change the APN settings to Crickets.

A couple of things about doing this.. first, when a non CDMA SIM is inserted that's not CDMA, the S3 will display the message: " Phone activation: This SIM card is from an unknown source ". This message is actually a warning message by the S3 app called Setup Wizard. (You can long press the message and see the app info for the exact name) You can ignore the message and continue with using the phone.

Secondly, the Verizon S3 does not have the "hardware" based frequencies to receive 3g/4g speeds once the Cricket APN settings are in place. It is unfortunately limited to Edge speeds on a GSM network such as Cricket's.

My Verizon Galaxy S3 is a hold over until I purchase an unlocked GSM phone that actually works properly on Cricket's network. So for now I have rooted it, used the app called Titanium Backup to "Freeze" the Setup Wizard message so it does not display every time I boot the phone. As for speeds.. Edge is horrible.. if you don't mind Edge then it'll probably work for you but if not.. I wouldn't bother and just find the cheapest GSM LTE you can deal with.

Good luck!

Thread Information