Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

View Poll Results: Would you pay extra to have the ability to use a flashed phone?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, $5/month.

1 25.00%
  • Yes, $10/month.

2 50.00%
  • Yes, $15/month.

0 0%
  • No, I wouldn't.

1 25.00%
    Overall activity: 0%

Would you pay extra to have the ability to use a flashed phone?

Let's say Cricket did away with flashed phones ( http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...ed-phones.html ) but decided to allow them for an additional charge. Do you think you would pay extra?

If so, how much?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Good question...
    I would consider it depending on how they set it up.
    If its additional monthly fee probably not unless its only $1 - $3
    If its a one time activation fee that is reasonable this would be ok as long as they don't go crazy and say $30+

And if they did is hope they would be a little better costumer service

Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Overall activity: 5.0%

I would pay extra but the problem you have with that scenario is if you are going to charge extra to have a flashed phone on your network then you would think you would be obligated to support the device as well. What would a corporate rep do when someone came in with a Samsung Moment that was getting garbled text from random customers? That is a real time one. That happened just last year.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by smitty68521 View Post
    I would pay extra but the problem you have with that scenario is if you are going to charge extra to have a flashed phone on your network then you would think you would be obligated to support the device as well. What would a corporate rep do when someone came in with a Samsung Moment that was getting garbled text from random customers? That is a real time one. That happened just last year.
    Good thought.
    I'm not worried bout that want them to answer when I call

Let's say they wanted to charge extra, but still not provide support for the device.

The reason why I started this thread is because I think new activations and changes to flashed phones will no longer be allowed on the network towards the end of this year when Cricket is available nationwide using Sprint's network. I doubt Sprint will want people to be able to use any Sprint contract phone (or CDMA phone) on Cricket. They could lose customers that way. Therefore, I was wondering if people would be willing to pay to be able to use a flashed phone. That might be an incentive for Sprint to allow Cricket to allow flashed phones on the network.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Personally, I would like to see Android phones and tablets with dual boot capability's. Another words, have two flash ROM chips, one for the cell phone service provider your with that boots default, and a second one reserved for flashing your own operating system into the phone. This way you get two for the price of one, and if all else fails, reboot back into the main OS and no harm no foul. Lets face it, people are going to flash their phones to get better results, but risk bricking their phones, like I did a few days ago. I was lucky to recover from it. But a dual boot with two ROM chips is the way to go.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Let's say they wanted to charge extra, but still not provide support for the device.

The reason why I started this thread is because I think new activations and changes to flashed phones will no longer be allowed on the network towards the end of this year when Cricket is available nationwide using Sprint's network. I doubt Sprint will want people to be able to use any Sprint contract phone (or CDMA phone) on Cricket. They could lose customers that way. Therefore, I was wondering if people would be willing to pay to be able to use a flashed phone. That might be an incentive for Sprint to allow Cricket to allow flashed phones on the network.
    Like I said id pay if its reasonable and I wouldn't care about about devise support just general support needs to improve in general

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post

A full third of Cricket's customer base uses a flashed phone. They will be hard pressed to get rid of flashed phones. You don't just shut off a 1/3 of your customer base. Sprint doesnt care what phones Cricket puts on their network or they wouldn't allow them now. They just care that Cricket is paying them the roaming/mvno fees they have agreed on.
    And who says Cricket will be selling Nationwide by the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    A full third of Cricket's customer base uses a flashed phone. They will be hard pressed to get rid of flashed phones. You don't just shut off a 1/3 of your customer base. Sprint doesnt care what phones Cricket puts on their network or they wouldn't allow them now. They just care that Cricket is paying them the roaming/mvno fees they have agreed on.
    And who says Cricket will be selling Nationwide by the end of the year?
    Well, I don't think current Sprint MVNOs allow flashed phones, so why would Cricket be different? Then again, most Sprint MVNOs aren't coming out with phones like the Huawei Glory just for them, so maybe Cricket will get special treatment. And, if they weren't going to allow them anymore, I don't think they'd kick everyone off, I just think they wouldn't allow new activations of flashed phones and ESN changes to flashed phones.

It was said that they would be selling nationwide, but it didn't say a date. I heard from someone else that it should be here by the end of the year. Slowly but surely, things are becoming nationwide, such as the broadband.

Overall activity: 5.0%

I don't think Cricket will outwardly do away with flashed phones. I have heard that over and over again since I started flashing phones five years ago. However, they are whittling away with the flashed phone idea in other ways by providing better phones for sale at a better price. There is no way Cricket will be an MVNO for anybody. The network is too large and has too many of its own resources to allow that to happen. And roaming has gone off of Sprint for years. The new contract if this i s true will just broaden where Cricket is available and at what cost.

What I see happening is phone flashing becoming more centralized. That is already happening because it is more and more difficult to keep up with all the new phones while trying to run a business. I think that if Cricket does charge extra for flashed phones they will make it a little easier to put them on the network than they do now.

I don't think Cricket will outwardly do away with flashed phones. I have heard that over and over again since I started flashing phones five years ago. However, they are whittling away with the flashed phone idea in other ways by providing better phones for sale at a better price. There is no way Cricket will be an MVNO for anybody. The network is too large and has too many of its own resources to allow that to happen. And roaming has gone off of Sprint for years. The new contract if this i s true will just broaden where Cricket is available and at what cost.

What I see happening is phone flashing becoming more centralized. That is already happening because it is more and more difficult to keep up with all the new phones while trying to run a business. I think that if Cricket does charge extra for flashed phones they will make it a little easier to put them on the network than they do now.
    This is what I was referring to: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...ationwide.html

I'm sure Cricket won't be a 100% MVNO. We already know Cricket has their own towers, and will be putting up their own towers for 4G too. Also, they're not going to be using Sprint's 4G (Clear) they're going to be roaming on Lightsquared.

Phone
    Droid 2

Honestly, I switched to Cricket because of the lack of red-tape. I can use MY phone, unlimited everything, and no contracts. For them to start tacking fees would ruin the experience. Due to money getting tight, there is no way I could have purchased a new phone and my Droid 2 was just fine. Let's hope no fees are added.

Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by xeromal View Post
    Honestly, I switched to Cricket because of the lack of red-tape. I can use MY phone, unlimited everything, and no contracts. For them to start tacking fees would ruin the experience. Due to money getting tight, there is no way I could have purchased a new phone and my Droid 2 was just fine. Let's hope no fees are added.
    preach on man

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

That was solved by a ROM, but I never liked that darn phone. Never had good luck getting MMS to work.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information