Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

HTV One SV Root

At this point I can only talk about theories. Other sites put up these threads immediately for SEO purposes so we just follow suite.

These days it seems most common for HTC devices to get their bootloader unlocked and then a custom recovery flashed. The custom recovery shouldn't be impossible to obtain. At this point, you can usually root the device. From there you should have no issues with custom ROMs if someone decides to make one.

One of the things I was interested in doing was changing the LCD density as the screen resolution is kind of low. Icons are huge making this phone a good candidate for the elderly IMO. If the kernel doesn't allow for modifying the /system then we'll need a custom kernel like the HTC DNA does.

With news circulating about a similar version phone on Sprint, there might be more support in the future.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

UPDATE: Root method below. Credit goes to
    bkcokota

from XDA Developers.

[GUIDE] Root for HTC One SV
    After much fun and games I have managed to root my new One SV, so now I am writing up a quick walk through to make life easier on those who follow.

Please note, this CAN and slightly DOES brick your phone. Do not proceed if you are not confident in your ability.

Any damages caused are your own problem and I withhold any liability for any future issues caused by this process

The steps are as follows.

1: Unlock your phone at the
    htcdev

site, follow the instructions on the site

2: Download the following two files.
    ClockworkMod Recovery

and
    Superuser.zip

3: reboot your phone into hboot and then into fastboot if you are not already there

4:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    This is presuming the recovery.img is in the same directory as fastboot, you can either move it or point the code to it directly

5: Open recovery. Please note, while the up and down arrows work, the power button does not, so you can't actually control it.

6:

Code:
    adb shell
    7:

Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /system
    8:

Code:
    exit
    9: extract su and superuser.apk from the superuser zip file

10:

Code:
    adb push su /system/bin
    (again assuming the files are in the same dir)

11:

Code:
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    12:

Code:
    adb shell
    13:

Code:
    chown root /system/bin/su
    14:

Code:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    15:

Code:
    reboot
    16: Congratulations, your phone should now be rooted, go have fun with the ability to access your phone properly!

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 01-29-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

I've been pouring over every forum/news feed/etc., since I got this thing...actually BEFORE I got this thing. Upon purchase, the FIRST thing I did was check with HTCdev.com and unlocked the phone. That's it. I can't find any reference, anywhere, to anyone actually working on recoveries for this device. Without that, except for droid-fu I'm not fully aware of...or capable of, we're stuck until a recovery is built. As the phone is out in Europe as well as coming to sprint, I think we won't have too long to wait though. -knocking on wood.

(Of course without a full RUU, I'm not doing a damned thing...HTCs' are good at getting out of a soft brick, but you really REALLY need an RUU to do it easily.)

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

If we get someone who likes to play around in a linux environment, there are enough articles around for them to figure out how to build a custom recovery.

ie
    My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I'm a linux head (Arch). Point me the way and I'll take a look at the stuff.

---EDIT---
    Nevermind. Phone is incompatible with the Square card reader (taking credit card payments), and it is now refunded and back in the hands of cricket. Back on my lil' Vitality until I move to a Galaxy S3.

DONE with new models/no support/wacky unlock/root schemes. :-(
    Last edited by Caseyjp; 01-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Customer Since
    01/2013

I still dont have a working root for this phone!! Has anyone used the modified version over at xda on your phones?? I tried it and it seemed to work good. At least the for a minute or two. I then tried to delete some system apps I wanted gone with root explorer. It let me delete them just fine.. Wow just when i thought I was a happy man....BAM rebbot, Powerdown, and reboot, then root changes wont commit. All apks I deleted are back even though my root explorer pro said I was mouted to system as root..?? Funny hugh any help from mmaybe someone on cricket with this phone who achieved a permenant root can help me. Or maybe everyone here is waiting patiently for a working CWM recovery before they try and acieve root. Maybe I should have waited too. Alrhough I dont think I boirked my phone because it still works graet except my root level acess that i want so badly...

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Re: HTV One SV Root

Modified version? You have root but the kernel won't let you change system files. This is why people made custom kernels for the HTC DNA.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Do u think u can grab the mms apk from ur one sv and send it to me?

Overall activity: 2.0%

Can you show a way of returning back to stock or removing clockworkmod and reverting to stock recovery to install the new update? I heard it fixes muve music problems

Hey guys, I thought I'd post over here as well as it seems like a lot of the k2u userbase is on cricket, I've updated my clockworkmod image today and made the method a whole lot easier. If anyone has any problems or issues with it please either post here or in my xda thread and I'll do my best to help.
    [GUIDE] Root for HTC One SV UPDATED 23/02/13 - xda-developers

Edit: quick edit for partyking, to get back to stock recovery fastboot flash this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9hztfqyra...ery_signed.img

and you should be back to stock, you may have to re-lock your bootloader again though for OTA updates, you use the command fastboot oem lock
    to do that through fastboot.

Last edited by bkcokota; 02-23-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Customer Since
    01/2013

THIS WAS POSTED BY ME AT XDA IF ANYONE HAS GOTTEN ANY FURTHER WITH THIS PHONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Yes the kernel is locked. I don't know what carrier you are on. I am on Cricket with ICS and in San Antonio Texas. I have received the update notification. I have tried all the fixes in this forum to get it to flash but so far a no go.... My one SV is rooted with touch recovery for ics installed. I have frozen/disabled all bloat ware apps which usually will remove them from the the os default program drawer. Note: to do this some of the apps when you go into manage apps will say uninstall updates. YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE THE APPS WILL SHOW A OPTION TO DISABLE THEM. After I performed that function and got the Rom running super fast I went into recovery and backed up the Rom. I have restored twice after trying to get my ota update to perform correctly and stick the install. Both times being restored are perfect. Apps still disabled and Rom running great. Just thought I would throw out what I know for the cricket carrier crawlers out there looking. Until we get a dev kernel there is little else we can do to save resources, save space, tweak and customize this system any further.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 2

new kernel has been released, help with install? maybe add a step by step install? supposed kernel allegedly able to fully root the phone without any re bloat or current root (temp)

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

But is that kernel for the Cricket version? I don't have one so unfortunately I can't help much here.

yes it is found on this forum and it says it is from cricket/ this device, on the htc one sv forum here

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I think that is the stock unmodified kernel, no?

dunno says that it gives proper root, hoping its not stock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information