Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

[HOWTO]Flash a custom rom and kernel

Standard disclaimers apply.
    Your warranty is now void.
    You are ultimately responsible for what you do to your phone.
    You break it, you bought it.
    Lately I've been flooded with PMs and questions about flashing custom roms and kernels. I've decided to do another tutorial illustrating the process.

Prerequisites:
    You must be rooted
    You must have a custom recovery installed.

I will not cover these in this tutorial. If you do not have these, please find my tutorial here on this site or one of hundreds on XDA or Rootz, but make sure they are for your phone's type. Any S3 tutorial will work, but you need the files for your specific model.

You need to have the custom rom for your specific phone model, gapps, and the optional custom kernel either on your SD Card or in the phone's internal storage.

1. Reboot into your chosen custom recovery be it Clockwork Mod or TWRP (for this tutorial I am using CWM).
    2. Factory reset. What this does is wipe all downloaded apps and their data and wipes the system cache.
    3. Go to Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache
    4. Optional step, but never hurts. Go to Mounts and Storage > Format /system. This will remove any possible lingering files that may cause issues with hardware or boot loops. If you do this step you must flash the rom no matter what. Your phone no longer has anything to boot! Don't let this scare you though.
    5. Choose "Install zip from SD Card" and then depending on whether you saved the rom's .zip file to your Internal Memory choose "Install zip from sd card" or if on your external SD Card like me, choose "Install zip from external sd card"
    6. Navigate to the folder your rom is saved to and select it. You will be presented with 3 options. No, Yes - Install, and Go Back. If you formatted /system you have to select Yes no matter what. If you did not, you can choose no or go back and cancel the process.
    7. Install the gapps package needed for your rom by following step 6 again for the gapps zip. If your rom is based on Android 4.2.2 you need gapps from March 1, 2013 (20130301) If you are flashing a TouchWiz rom, you may skip this entire step as gapps are already built in.
    8. Optional step if flashing a kernel - Repeat step 6 but select the kernel zip instead
    9. If flashing a kernel, hit go back and then go to Advanced > Fix Permissions. This may take a while.
    10. Reboot system and watch your new custom glory!

The first boot will take from 1-10 minutes so be patient. If all went well, your phone will now boot and you should be presented with a Setup screen.

My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Customer Since
    mar 2006
    Phone
    sg3

Much much needed information. Hopefully this helps people from destroying their phones or posting redundant already asked questions (like some us have done). Thanks p

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Customer Since
    03/2011
    Phone
    Chelsea S III

Quote Originally Posted by sonasam300 View Post
    Much much needed information. Hopefully this helps people from destroying their phones or posting redundant already asked questions (like some us have done). Thanks p

+1 for SonASam300 :-)

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by sonasam300 View Post

That was why I made this tutorial

My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Guys can someone help me with my problem. I flash this rom and when i was trying to open my camara it didntopen there was a message "camara failed" i install other roms, reset my phone, did a hard reset and still dont work please help me

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Quote Originally Posted by lickme View Post
    Guys can someone help me with my problem. I flash this rom and when i was trying to open my camara it didntopen there was a message "camara failed" i install other roms, reset my phone, did a hard reset and still dont work please help me
    Wrong forum. Try posting and carrying the conversation in the forum under your phone type.

Customer Since
    Nov 1998
    Phone
    Epic 4g Touch

has anyone tried slimbean rom from sprint or verizon?... or any other carrier rom for that matter. coming from a evo4g flashed to cricket, just wondering before i buy the s3 if different carrier roms work. minus the changing apns for mms and the other basic features. thanks in advance.

Thread Information