Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

[HOWTO]Rooted Users Wanting the JB OTA

So April 7th introduces an official Jellybean update to the Cricket S3, but you need to get back to stock unrooted, unmodified, and unflashed. What this means is if you want the OTA (Over The Air) Update, you will need to restore to a stock version. Thanks to the work of Chainfire, Shabby Penguin, humbly myself, and many others, that is entirely possible. You will need The files listed in my Odin thread to start with. Additionally, you will need 2 apks from Chainfire. I will not attach them to this thread per his request in the thread of Triangle Away.

First off, if you are rommed, you will need to download and use the Odin file I created a while ago. If you haven't yet, do that now. Thread is here:

http://www.cricketusers.com/root-rec...-firmware.html

Once you are back on ICS, you will want to download SuperSU from the Play Store. It is a different root access management tool by Chainfire, a recognized developer and contributor on XDA. He has too many accomplishments and developments to list here(if you're leary of using his apps as opposed to a pretty much outdated and aging SuperUser which has been the standard for years, go check him out on XDA). The methods in this thread were ONLY tested using this app. They may work with SuperUser, but I highly recommend SuperSU. If you use the SuperSU app, you will need to open SuperUser once before you open SuperSU to ensure that the permissions are given to SuperSU to update to the new binary. After you are done, grab Triangle Away from XDA or Play Store. It's free on XDA, but costs like 2.49 on the Play Store. XDA thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

Open Triangle Away and grant it root access. Once you have done this, go down to Reset Flash Counter and tap it. You will receive a warning that looks like this:

screenshot_2013-04-06-12-01-10.png

Understand this is risky in some way, but is 99% safe as long as you do not interrupt the process. I have used this app numerous times in writing tutorials and how tos for CU and still have my original GS3.

Now comes the fun part. Any files you want to save like music, pictures, movies, downloaded files, etc will have to be backed up to your PC or external SD card. Nandroid backups are especially important. Back up your backups.

After you have followed the above steps, to return the device status to Normal under Settings > About Device > Status > Device Status is as easy as doing a factory reset from within TouchWiz. This will wipe the phone COMPLETELY. Only the data on the external SD card will remain which is why I mention backing up important files. Go to Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset then press Reset Device. You will be presented with this screen:

screenshot_2013-04-06-12-11-18.png

Once you press the button, your phone will reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data from the internal SD as well as all apps and app data. The phone will reboot and everything will now show as Official and Unmodified with a System Status of Normal. You are now ready to take the OTA.

This was tested repeatedly with my above steps. After multiple reboots, my phone showed unmodified over and over. I do know however that the SuperSU app may be gone, but the su binary is in fact left in /system/xbin so all you would have to do is redownload SuperSU if you needed to. I do not believe that it will remain after you take the OTA however.

Side Note:
    It appears that using SuperSU and it's associated su binary DO NOT trigger System Modified when you boot the GS3. I installed SuperSU again after a factory reset, gave ES File Explorer root access and mounted / as read-write, rebooted, and I still show System Status as Normal.

Update:

If you use Odin or Kies to take the OTA you will have to reroot. This is because Odin, Kies, and even Heimdall completely overwrite the /system partition, including /system/xbin where the su and busybox binaries are installed. There is no work around for this aside from taking the OTA through your phone and not kies. Sorry

Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-11-2013 at 01:50 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Customer Since
    mar 2006
    Phone
    sg3

SP and Company to the rescue! TYVM guys! Even with the roms we have it would have sucked not to b able to get the update. Just to play with.
    Would we need different custom recovery after update?
    sent from my SAMmieSUNG GSIII

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

The voodoo info says "Useless on Samsung phones updated via KIES or Odin and other devices using YAFFS fie systems only, any device flashing entire system". My S3 is rooted, stock with voodoo installed. Will i be able to use voodoo to temp unroot, then allow OTA update, then use voodoo to "reroot"?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    The voodoo info says "Useless on Samsung phones updated via KIES or Odin and other devices using YAFFS fie systems only, any device flashing entire system". My S3 is rooted, stock with voodoo installed. Will i be able to use voodoo to temp unroot, then allow OTA update, then use voodoo to "reroot"?
    To be honest I'm not sure bud. I usually take OTAs after the fact. I do know that if you use SuperSU there is an OTA survival mode built into the app. Again though I'm not sure about Voodoo. I would imagine we'll end up having to use the Odin root method again if we can't use the one click method we've been using. Once the OTA comes out, I'll make another flashable zip with the JB OTA rooted of course...

I'll look around and see if people on VZW and SPR S3s had luck with Voodoo and Kies but based on what you posted, if you take the OTA through the phone itself, it should work.
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

As far as custom recovery, you will have to use Odin to flash it. It seems that this update took away our ability to root using DebugFS method, but that doesn't mean we can't root. It's just more of a roundabout process now. Fret not my fellow S3 owners, a write up and video are on the way for how to root the JB update!

Overall activity: 2.0%

is there are a way to root the JB update? i updated via kies
    Last edited by jcaf77; 04-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Please read next time.... Just above your post I said there is and that I'm working on a video and write up

I lost my root after jelly bean update, help pls

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    I was so excited about the jb update i forgot to use a temp unroot app, now I lost my root, my super user is still there but denies everything and root failed on root checker and titanium back up, so how do I/should i downgrade back to ics and reroot, or find a root process for jb, and should i even concern my self with the jb ota if i want to get cm 10.1-M2 jb4.2.2.,.can I just skip to that Rom from ics? As you can tell I need help. Thanks

I went thru all the steps above and it worked to unroot it and go back to stock ICS, however I can't connect to wifi. Wifi works on other devices and I restarted both modem and router. Not sure what went wrong...

I also tried the following:
    - *#0011# to disable WIFI power save mode
    - restart the phone
    - factory reset again
    - remove security settings from network

still no luck, please help
    Last edited by iraceyall; 04-27-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by jtbooker View Post
    I was so excited about the jb update i forgot to use a temp unroot app, now I lost my root, my super user is still there but denies everything and root failed on root checker and titanium back up, so how do I/should i downgrade back to ics and reroot, or find a root process for jb, and should i even concern my self with the jb ota if i want to get cm 10.1-M2 jb4.2.2.,.can I just skip to that Rom from ics? As you can tell I need help. Thanks
    In my sig there is a link to the various Odin packages. Flash the FULL one if you would like to go with the new basebands (may improve signal) or just flash stock rooted then you can unroot and take the OTA, flash CM, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by iraceyall View Post
    I went thru all the steps above and it worked to unroot it and go back to stock ICS, however I can't connect to wifi. Wifi works on other devices and I restarted both modem and router. Not sure what went wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by iraceyall View Post

You could always set a static IP by trying to reconnect to the WiFi and check Advanced Settings. You'll need to get the IP info from a PC connected to the router, but make sure you use an IP address 10 higher than the PC for safe measure.

If on Windows Vista or 7:
    Go to Start and type 'cmd' in the search box. At the top you will see cmd.exe so click it or just push enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig and search for either the wireless card or ethernet card and copy the info into your phone. If your IP looks like 192.168.0.2 then on your phone make it 192.168.0.12

Linux:
    Push Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal window. Type ifconfig and look for either eth0 or wlan0 and do the same as above
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-27-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Question. When I reverted back to 4.0.4 my serial number is gone. Has this happened to any of you? It won't let me do an OTA update nor Kies. Attempted updating via Odin to jb but keep getting invalid, tried renaming but no success.

Customer Since
    mar 2006
    Phone
    sg3

Quote Originally Posted by XxmystuffxX View Post
    Question. When I reverted back to 4.0.4 my serial number is gone. Has this happened to any of you? It won't let me do an OTA update nor Kies. Attempted updating via Odin to jb but keep getting invalid, tried renaming but no success.
    Yea my serial# is all 0's. I did the same thing(by accident) when I tried to revert back to stock to get the premium suite update. I had to reroot and the whole nine using the ics method. Then flashed the Vanilla md6 rom and was good to go

sent from this ol' thang right here!

Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by sonasam300 View Post
    Yea my serial# is all 0's. I did the same thing(by accident) when I tried to revert back to stock to get the premium suite update. I had to reroot and the whole nine using the ics method. Then flashed the Vanilla md6 rom and was good to go

No way to get the serial number back on Without it being a Rom? To leave status normal. Then doing the update officially? Does the Vanilla rom have all the full apps I like to keep the "bloatware"

Customer Since
    mar 2006
    Phone
    sg3

Quote Originally Posted by XxmystuffxX View Post
    No way to get the serial number back on Without it being a Rom? To leave status normal. Then doing the update officially? Does the Vanilla rom have all the full apps I like to keep the "bloatware"
    i havent even tried to get it back. And no but there is a side pack that you can flash also and put everything back on it.

Last edited by sonasam300; 06-09-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Overall activity: 2.0%

Customer Since
    Phone
    sIII

now adding triangle to reset counter

this solution worked for my soft brick....im back to stock rom with all my apps it appears...thank you

"Now that all is back to normal I will add triangle to reset the counter. Thank you for all your hard work everyone who works on these files. Now this noob will remember to back up.
    Last edited by joser559; 08-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Thread Information