Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

From what I'm gathering, CM is moving towards a more open source platform driver rather than the one Samsung released with the d2 kernel sources meaning, they're writing their own drivers for the hardware that would eventually make the rom universal across all d2 platforms as opposed to one for d2att, d2vzw, d2cri, etc. if my memory serves. Kinda like what the unofficial builds of CM7.2 did for the Optimus letter series phones (S, C, T, M, etc). I may be wrong on this, but that means we'll have release candidates and stables very very soon. As with any and all rom development, don't ask for a date, because I'm pretty sure you'll be ignored or flamed (not by myself of course as I learned my lesson a few weeks back )

This would be partial cause for the instability, but we have to remember that these are nightly builds and they're not guaranteed to work in the first place. If you didn't do a full wipe (data, cache, and dalvik) when you flashed, it would be a great idea to do so and don't restore app data using TiBu either as it can cause the same instabilities and defeats the purpose of wiping data in the first place.
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 03-25-2013 at 04:38 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Proffitt View Post
    From what I'm gathering, CM is moving towards a more open source platform driver rather than the one Samsung released with the d2 kernel sources meaning, they're writing their own drivers for the hardware that would eventually make the rom universal across all d2 platforms as opposed to one for d2att, d2vzw, d2cri, etc. if my memory serves. Kinda like what the unofficial builds of CM7.2 did for the Optimus letter series phones (S, C, T, M, etc). I may be wrong on this, but that means we'll have release candidates and stables very very soon. As with any and all rom development, don't ask for a date, because I'm pretty sure you'll be ignored or flamed (not by myself of course as I learned my lesson a few weeks back )

This would be partial cause for the instability, but we have to remember that these are nightly builds and they're not guaranteed to work in the first place. If you didn't do a full wipe (data, cache, and dalvik) when you flashed, it would be a great idea to do so and don't restore app data using TiBu either as it can cause the same instabilities and defeats the purpose of wiping data in the first place.
    Well, that gives me an idea on why these changes were happening. And yeah, I'm assured from the moment I rooted the phone it's all on me. Thanks for the reply anyways, the problems haven't been showing as much as yesterday, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of time and patience.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

On another device from another manufacturer with a different chipset, a dev told me once to flash, let settle for 5-10 minutes then reboot and go. Never actually did this, but it sounds kinda like after letting the kernel and drivers settle that it's smoothing out. I may flash 3/24 today and see what's up.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

I flashed 3/24 thru CM updater... Gonna try it out again but this time doing the standard wipes being it's a new kernel

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I flashed 3/24 today and I'm noticing high instability. To be honest I'm thinking it's this new 3.4 kernel as we were on 3.0.63 but when they stabilize it, we should actually see better battery life with the addition of Active Voltage Scaling.

Edit:
    It also looks like we're missing a few audio codecs that came in the stock TW software. Under TW ICS I was able to play .wma files in any player. Now I have to resort to VLC nightlies for them, not that it's an issue for me because I like VLC

From Samsung's Support Page for the R530C located here:

Features - More Cell Phone Providers SCH-R530C | Samsung Cell Phones

Audio
    • Music Player; Compatible Music Files, 3GP, AAC, AAC+, eAAc+, M4A, MIDI, MMF, MP3, PMD, QCP, WAV, WMA; Audio, Streaming; Ringtones, Polyphonic; MP3/Music Tones

Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 03-26-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

I flashed 3/24 today and I'm noticing high instability. To be honest I'm thinking it's this new 3.4 kernel as we were on 3.0.63 but when they stabilize it, we should actually see better battery life with the addition of Active Voltage Scaling.

Edit:
    It also looks like we're missing an audio codec that came in the stock TW software. Under TW ICS I was able to play .wma files in any player. Now I have to resort to VLC nightlies for them, not that it's an issue for me because I like VLC
    Well, looks like it wasn't a personal problem. I moved to the M2 until the nightlies become more stable. But well, Nightlies are nightlies, these should be things to expect when moving to such stuff. That said I prefer Nightlies because of the last features and fixes just as they're realized. Like the Pie Paranoid-like controls feature that will be realized with the 25/26 release. But well, let's hope things move on quickly.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaniacZX View Post
    well, let's hope things move on quickly.
    Kernels take time especially an update to the kernel of this magnitude. Could be days, weeks, or months until it's fully stable. Depending on what nightly added the new kernel you could go back to the one just before that for the most stable nightly

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Depending on what nightly added the new kernel you could go back to the one just before that for the most stable nightly
    It's not a bad idea, but if I'm going to wait for them to fix the stability problems of the new Kernel I'm not gonna win much staying on a Nightly before that, pretty much the only difference I denoted when moving to the M2 was the lack of Superuser integrated on the System Settings.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

This^^^^ I did a clean install with the 3/24 nightly and kept getting reboots. Rolled back to 3/23...seems stable enough for me. Will see after a few days of daily use.
    But hey, that's what nightlies are all about...

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Update:
    Flashed 3/27 and still got lockups and system crashes(reboots, ui, and others)

Flashed 3/28 and so far so good. Only run it for an hour or so right now but seems smooth again so far. Will stress the hell out of it in a few and report back.

Sent from my CM10.1 Cricket SGS3
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

SP... Been running 3/27 for a little over a day with no issues so far. Probably will hold off on 28 since I didn't see much in the change log.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by RoWilJr View Post
    SP... Been running 3/27 for a little over a day with no issues so far. Probably will hold off on 28 since I didn't see much in the change log.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    That's good. I would get weird flickering in my video players when switching from chrome to them, system ui crashes, reboots 2 sometimes 3 times an hour, screen would take a while to come on when unlocking, app fcs, and more. This is after a full wipe and fresh flash.

My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    S3

I don't flash every nightly, but when I see a lot of changes or it's been a few days, I'll update it. Like Stephen I have occasional reboots, just not as often. Mine seem to happen most often while using the phone. Be talking to someone, switch to incoming call and reboot when switch back. Not always that situation, but something similar. The interesting bug I've had also involves the phone. I use a Bluetooth headset constantly. Hate to hold a phone to my ear. If on a call and I push the disconnect button, it launches the music player. If the other party disconnects first, it's fine. Have uninstalled poweramp player and froze Apollo with titanium backup. Still trying to figure that one out. Ha. Still love the ROM though. Ha.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

So I'm starting to notice it's Chrome. If I use the stock browser I don't get the ui crashes...

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Fixes on the way...

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/34783/

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread Information