Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

I was looking online and read that sometimes ota updates can make you lose root but still have su. I had just received and installed the cricket ota jellybean update a couple of days ago and wonder if that might have unrooted it. If I have no root access, how can I get rid of SU?

(accidental edit... still getting used to the button being further left sorry --SP)
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-15-2013 at 10:21 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

If you took the OTA on the phone you may possibly still have the SU binary. You would have to reinstall it's management app (ChainsDD's Superuser, Chainfire's SuperSU, or Koush's Superuser). Open the app once then close it. Grab ES file Explorer and delete the su binary located in /system/xbin and then do a factory reset

If you took it via Kies or Odin, it's long gone.

Sorry for accidentally editing your post. I get ahead of myself and edit a lot of my own posts so it's a bad habit to hit the wrong button which 99% of the time I catch it. I didn't delete or modify your content
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

I went to Google Play store and it only had the option to open SU, no download or install button at all, or even update. I can't uninstall and I can't install. I'm so confused. So if I did a factory reset would I go back to Ice Cream Sandwich or would it stay on Jelly Bean? Also, would SU still be on it if I just factory reset since I can't seem to do anything else with SU?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Open superuser once to start elevating privs. Factory reset won't get rid of su or the apk. If you're on jb, just flash the unrooted jb Odin tar

Sent from my Kanged 1.89GHz Cricket S3
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-17-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Sorry about all of the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right as I had a soft brick last time I flashed from another rom. On the page where you have the great guide to flashing and everything, http://www.cricketusers.com/root-rec...ms-more/41626-[rom]odin-flashable-cricket-sgs3-touchwiz-firmwares.html , there's a warning at the top saying it will "TRIP YOUR FLASH COUNTER AND REPORT YOUR PHONE AS CUSTOM THEREBY DESTROYING ANY HOPE OF A WARRANTY." After I flash it, Triangle Away will fix that yes? Is Triangle Away compatible with the JB version of Cricket's stock rom? Dumb question, but I just need to make sure I don't screw it up (which I tend to do). Thanks

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Triangle Away does work with jb

Customer Since
    July 2009
    Phone
    SSG s4 (jfltecri)

Stephen , you are awesome! Thanks for the Odin files, and info! I had a question. To root the Jellybean, I flashed (through Odin) the touch recovery, have you created a file to flash the stock recovery back, after root?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

That I have not but it wouldn't be hard to do.

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Hey Stephen, this is (hopefully) the last stupid question, but as I only have the SU binary due to taking the update OTA, that means I'm technically unrooted yes? I thought the whole reason I needed to root was so that I could use Odin to flash the tar files to put a new ROM on. I'm asking as I finally went and was following the steps on pg 1 of this thread and downloaded the JB stock unrooted files, which made me wonder if Odin would allow me to flash it at all?

Also on the Triangle Away google play store page it says it requires root to run...does that mean that I would have to install the rooted JB version, run Triangle Away, and THEN do the whole process again with stock unroot JB files? But that would add 1 to the counter after right?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrasilian View Post
    Hey Stephen, this is (hopefully) the last stupid question, but as I only have the SU binary due to taking the update OTA, that means I'm technically unrooted yes? I thought the whole reason I needed to root was so that I could use Odin to flash the tar files to put a new ROM on. I'm asking as I finally went and was following the steps on pg 1 of this thread and downloaded the JB stock unrooted files, which made me wonder if Odin would allow me to flash it at all?

Also on the Triangle Away google play store page it says it requires root to run...does that mean that I would have to install the rooted JB version, run Triangle Away, and THEN do the whole process again with stock unroot JB files? But that would add 1 to the counter after right?
    Essentially you're already rooted and all you should have to do is grab Superuser from the play store and go from there. Grab it then open it and see what binary version it is. If you switch to SuperSU after getting superuser you can run triangle away, reset modified status, and use SuperSU to fully unroot. Factory reset after for full effect but remember it wipes your internal SD so backup what you want to keep

Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-20-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Maybe I don't know how SuperUser chooses what to give permissions to or how to change it, I already technically have SuperUser, I can open up the actual app, but I tried updating binaries from the options list, it downloads the files, it starts to install, but then it asks SU for root access and SU denies *itself* root access and fails to update. It still seems to be running and doing stuff in the background all the time, but only showing pop up messages saying various programs and shell asks for SU rights and denying them, never allowing; and in the log in SU it has a whole bunch of denied entries. This seems to me like it is broken, but is there any way for me to be sure?

SuperUser has denied access to Titanium Backup, the Shell, Itself, the only messages I ever see are denied access messages. Is that an indicator that it is broken or is there a way to go in and tell it to allow?

I have done nothing with it since I first rooted my phone, and put on CM 10 rom, which worked great. Going back to stock rom with my backups had crashed, leaving me soft bricked, following which I found your stock rom and followed the instructions to the letter which got me back up and running ICS stock like nothing had happened, and still had SU. I assumed I was still rooted, as it was just a simple flash to your stock ICS rom.

It would seem to me that an indicator if it was going to allow me to flash would be to allow itself, at least, root access. Currently it looks like that isn't happening for me, whether it's a glitch or some hidden option I'm not seeing. How would I remedy this?

Sorry it's so long again, I'm really struggling with all of this, it's a lot of new info to take in all at once. Thanks

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

So the other camera issues were the KT747 kernel....

As far as su, you can use the Odin file that's stock kernel, recovery, and system. You'll have to redo your settings, but it's previously unrooted. If superuser is denying access it's still working. You should be able to go into the log and toggle permissions

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

I once lost root on my lowly Dinc and had similar device symptoms. Tried many things (not knowing exactly what i was doing), i think i finally got root back by flashing the
    Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

from
    Superuser

. Went into recovery, flashed the zip, rebooted and i think the prompt for app access came up a bunch which i allowed them all. Once all the prompts stopped, i rebooted and root was back. But that's a hazy memory from long ago!!

Customer Since
    Oct 2012
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Just found a thread on another forum that advised using a free app call Root Checker (I had no idea there was an app for that). It says "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access." I was reading on another of your threads about rooting the new JB update that I can't root it the same way I did before because they changed something on JB? How do you recommend that I re-root?

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrasilian View Post
    Just found a thread on another forum that advised using a free app call Root Checker (I had no idea there was an app for that). It says "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access." I was reading on another of your threads about rooting the new JB update that I can't root it the same way I did before because they changed something on JB? How do you recommend that I re-root?
    Using my jb root tutorial is the only way

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information