Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

[ROOT] + [RECOVERY] Cricket GS3 TouchWiz Android 4.1.2

Rooting your Cricket GS3 is risky. The standard disclaimers apply. Neither myself or CricketUsers.com are responsible if your phone gets broken. You assume the risk of voiding your warranty by using the information in this thread and if your phone kills your dog, that's not our fault either.

ALSO IF YOU ARE GOING TO ASK "HOW DO I GET THE JB UPDATE?" LOOK FOR MY HOWTO THREAD. IT'S LINKED IN MY SIGNATURE

So you got the wonderful new Jellybean update for your Cricket S3. Isn't it sexy? New features, better UI, and all the ooey gooey goodness you'd expect.

What's that you say? You lost root and your favorite method doesn't work anymore? Don't freak out and kill your parents over it. We got you covered.

This new update killed the ability to root using the DebugFS method we used on ICS, but that's not Cricket's fault. Samsung closed that exploit up on ALL the GS3s. We now have to use Odin to flash a custom recovery and flash the root stuff in there. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need is 3 files and a USB cord. I've done as much of the automation as I could, but the rest is up to you and all you have to do is follow instructions.

First things first, this recovery is not for any other variant of the Galaxy S3 except Cricket (d2cri). What if my S3 is flashed to Cricket? The answer is partially. If you get the right recovery for your S3 in a flashable Odin package and if your Verizon S3 has the unlocked bootloader (which I will not cover) with the right recovery then it will work.

1. Grab Odin here:
    http://db.tt/oiFoQXVw

2. Grab the Odin Flashable CWM Touch package here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1waxxxfjas...-d2cri.tar.md5

3. Grab the flashable root package here:

Dev-Host - d2cri_JBRoot.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Get Odin unzipped to a convenient location. I will use C:\Odin for this tutorial.

Turn your phone completely off. Once off, press Volume Down + Home + Power untl you feel it vibrate. At this point only release the Power button and keep holding the other 2. You will see a black, green, yellow, and white screen pop up with a warning about custom OS might break your phone (Samsung just trying to scare us...). Press Volume Up and you will be in Odin Mode. At this point connect your USB cord.

Open C:\Odin\Odin_3.07.exe. The ONLY options we are concerned with are Auto Reboot, Reset F. Time, and PDA. If you touch anything other than those 3 check boxes, you will permanently brick your phone. It will be 100% unrecoverable and worthless (it would probably make a good coaster though).

odin1.jpg

When you fire up Odin, you will see a big COM button on the left side lit up if your drivers installed right (which I assume they did since you most likely got the update through Kies). If not, stop here and unplug the phone. Grab the 1.4.6.0 drivers and install them. BEFORE you reconnect your phone, disconnect your internet(I'm dead serious... On Win7 64 bit PCs there is a major problem with the 1.5.x.x drivers causing your PC to not recognize the phone....) If you install the 1.4.6.0 drivers and connect your phone with no internet connection, they don't update.

After selecting ONLY THE 3 CHECKS LISTED ABOVE, you will press the big PDA button. Navigate to where you downloaded the CWM file and select it. Odin will check the MD5 for you (I built it into this package). Once that finishes, press start. It'll take about 30 seconds then your phone will reboot. Voila! You now have CWM Touch (which by the way is a free download from the CWM site if you manually install it like we just did).

Part 2: The Jolly Rooter

Since your phone is still connected to the PC, copy the root package over to your phone's internal or external memory. Doesn't matter which, just remember where you stashed it. Once that's done, shut down your phone. After it goes off, press Volume Up + Home + Power until you feel vibration and release power. When it goes into CWM, select Install .zip from sdcard, select either sdcard or external sdcard, then navigate to where you stored the file and select it. On the next screen simply select yes. It'll chug for like 15-30 seconds and then finish. For good measure I suggest wiping cache and dalvik. You don't have to do a factory reset if you don't want to.

You're now rooted with a custom recovery. Feel free to install your favorite root apps, roms, or strip out the bloatware for the ultimate minimalist TouchWiz the Cricket S3 has to offer!

Cheers!

YouTube video walk through:

One user here at CU mentioned stock rom will overwrite CWM with stock recovery. Upon doing my homework, he is correct tha in some cases when you take the OTA from your phone, it will do just this. He posted about this in this thread, and I'm adding this to my guide. Just a quick note about this...

ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR CWM KEEPS BEING OVERWRITTEN BY STOCK RECOVERY.

Thanks Pestelence!

Quote Originally Posted by Pestelence View Post
    Nice work!

couple of notes (WARNING, Disclaimer: ONLY perform these steps if you have problems with Stephens steps they are MUCH safer)

1. On my flash of CWM Recovery from Odin, my GSIII kept booting into regular "Stock Recovery"
    2. After Reboot my CWM Recovery would not stay, it would reset to "Stock"

Fix for 1:

a)Follow all previous steps for flashing CWM Recovery, do not click start
    b) before selecting start Un-check "Auto Reboot", Select "Start"

c) IMPORTANT: Before Proceeding you must receive the "PASS" and "Res OK" messages (Screen Shot)

d) Dis-connect the USB cable and do a "Battery Pull"
    e) Put the battery back in, and boot into CWM Recovery (Press power until you feel it vibrate, while holding Up volume and home, continue holding up and home)
    f) You should now be in CWM Recovery!

Fix for 2: (this one is easy and kinda a dumb one on my part) After flashing the Root zip, and going to reboot, CWM recovery might tell you that your stock rom may overwrite CWM recovery - do you want to fix? - well... yea! - select yes, easy!

Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 10-28-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    EVO 3D

Nice! Trying this now. Always on top of it thanks

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Overall activity: 2.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Proffitt View Post
    Rooting your GS3 is risky. The standard disclaimers apply. Neither myself or CricketUsers.com are responsible if your phone gets broken. You assume the risk of voiding your warranty by using the information in this thread and if your phone kills your dog, that's not our fault either.

So you got the wonderful new Jellybean update for your Cricket S3. Isn't it sexy? New features, better UI, and all the ooey gooey goodness you'd expect.

What's that you say? You lost root and your favorite method doesn't work anymore? Don't freak out and kill your parents over it. We got you covered.

This new update killed the ability to root using the DebugFS method we used on ICS, but that's not Cricket's fault. Samsung closed that exploit up on ALL the GS3s. We now have to use Odin to flash a custom recovery and flash the root stuff in there. It takes about 10 minutes and all you need is 3 files and a USB cord. I've done as much of the automation as I could, but the rest is up to you and all you have to do is follow instructions.

1. Grab Odin here:
    http://db.tt/oiFoQXVw

2. Grab the Odin Flashable CWM Touch package here:
    Dev-Host - d2cri_CWMTouchOdin.tar.md5 - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

3. Grab the flashable root package here:

Dev-Host - d2cri_JBRoot.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Get Odin unzipped to a convenient location. I will use C:\Odin for this tutorial.

Turn your phone completely off. Once off, press Volume Down + Home + Power untl you feel it vibrate. At this point only release the Power button and keep holding the other 2. You will see a black, green, yellow, and white screen pop up with a warning about custom OS might break your phone (Samsung just trying to scare us...). Press Volume Up and you will be in Odin Mode. At this point connect your USB cord.

Open C:\Odin\Odin_3.07.exe. The ONLY options we are concerned with are Auto Reboot, Reset F. Time, and PDA. If you touch anything other than those 3 check boxes, you will permanently brick your phone. It will be 100% unrecoverable and worthless (it would probably make a good coaster though).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odin1.jpg 
Views:	1853 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	4155

When you fire up Odin, you will see a big COM button on the left side lit up if your drivers installed right (which I assume they did since you most likely got the update through Kies). If not, stop here and unplug the phone. Grab the 1.4.6.0 drivers and install them. BEFORE you reconnect your phone, disconnect your internet(I'm dead serious... On Win7 64 bit PCs there is a major problem with the 1.5.x.x drivers causing your PC to not recognize the phone....) If you install the 1.4.6.0 drivers and connect your phone with no internet connection, they don't update.

After selecting ONLY THE 3 CHECKS LISTED ABOVE, you will press the big PDA button. Navigate to where you downloaded the CWM file and select it. Odin will check the MD5 for you (I built it into this package). Once that finishes, press start. It'll take about 30 seconds then your phone will reboot. Voila! You now have CWM Touch (which by the way is a free download from the CWM site if you manually install it like we just did).

Part 2: The Jolly Rooter

Since your phone is still connected to the PC, copy the root package over to your phone's internal or external memory. Doesn't matter which, just remember where you stashed it. Once that's done, shut down your phone. After it goes off, press Volume Up + Home + Power until you feel vibration and release power. When it goes into CWM, select Install .zip from sdcard, select either sdcard or external sdcard, then navigate to where you stored the file and select it. On the next screen simply select yes. It'll chug for like 15-30 seconds and then finish. For good measure I suggest wiping cache and dalvik. You don't have to do a factory reset if you don't want to.

You're now rooted with a custom recovery. Feel free to install your favorite root apps, roms, or strip out the bloatware for the ultimate minimalist TouchWiz the Cricket S3 has to offer!

Cheers!

YouTube video walk through:

the CWM link only takes you to download one file, the actual tar is not there. Help!!
    Thank you for your hard work!

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

If you look at it, it's .tar.md5 and what this means is that it is the tar file with the md5 embedded. Load it up in Odin and you'll see

Odin has a built in md5 checker and if you make the package a .tar.md5 Odin expects the md5 signature that's built into the package to match what it summarizes. If Odin is unable to find the md5 in the tar, it fails before you can do anything wrong and lets you know before you get halfway through the flash that it's a bad download. Hope this clears it up.
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

cool. i have a bad download then

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Great stuff Bro! :beer:

Sent from my Galaxy S3

this is what I am getting
    <ID:0/004> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
    <OSM> d2cri_CWMTouchOdin.tar.md5 is invalid.
    <OSM> End...

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by jcaf77 View Post
    this is what I am getting
    <ID:0/004> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
    <OSM> d2cri_CWMTouchOdin.tar.md5 is invalid.
    <OSM> End...
    You don't actually... I just downloaded a new copy and got the same exact results...

Reuploading it now. I have a feeling I know what it is... I will verify the problem before I publish a new link

Edit:
    New CWM link is up. I renamed the file on the server after generating the md5 locally. That's what was causing it to fail immediately
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

You don't actually... I just downloaded a new copy and got the same exact results...

Reuploading it now. I have a feeling I know what it is... I will verify the problem before I publish a new link

Edit:
    New CWM link is up. I renamed the file on the server after generating the md5 locally. That's what was causing it to fail immediately
    That did it bro! I am rooted!! Thank you so much!

Phone
    EVO 3D

I am rooted with muve music all I had to do was rename the file I took off md5 and just left the tar extension.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Full Jellybean packages going up now. 3 in total. 1 Stock rooted system only, 1 stock unrooted with kernel, recovery, and system, and the last is the FULL stock unrooted update including basebands, kernel, bootloader, system, recovery and everything else that doesn't include personal data (ie cache.img.ext4) I will examine the latter file and referenced img in this file to see if it has any real personal info in it. I will not release the full update with basebands and everything until I'm sure.
    Last edited by Stephen Proffitt; 04-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Stop the madness!!!! Lol.

Sent from my rotary phone.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    Stop the madness!!!! Lol.

Sent from my rotary phone.
    Don't hate on my swag

Overall activity: 6.0%

Worked like a charm! Thanks for doing all of this SP! You're the man!

Customer Since
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Full Jellybean packages going up now. 3 in total. 1 Stock rooted system only, 1 stock unrooted with kernel, recovery, and system, and the last is the FULL stock unrooted update including basebands, kernel, bootloader, system, recovery and everything else that doesn't include personal data (ie cache.img.ext4) I will examine the latter file and referenced img in this file to see if it has any real personal info in it. I will not release the full update with basebands and everything until I'm sure.

Thanks for the hard work. Where can I get the packages? My kies keeps comming up with errors saying admin delagator exe not found. Computer needs restored to fix it. So can I flash your full update package threw twrp?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information