Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 4.0%

Customer Since
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Cricket S4 4G connection

So as of this morning, every time I restart my phone here in San Diego, I boot up with a active 4G connection with a speed of about 6.5 down and 5 up. I can sit there and play with it for an hour or whatever, but once I put it down for about 15 minutes it reverts back to the old 3G connection, and I have to restart again to get the 4G back. Any ideas on how to get it to stay, and whos network it is running off of?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    It's life, live it!
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by mjustin88 View Post
    So as of this morning, every time I restart my phone here in San Diego, I boot up with a active 4G connection with a speed of about 6.5 down and 5 up. I can sit there and play with it for an hour or whatever, but once I put it down for about 15 minutes it reverts back to the old 3G connection, and I have to restart again to get the 4G back. Any ideas on how to get it to stay, and whos network it is running off of?
    There is a known issue with some Cricket GS4 accessing Sprint's 4G network rather than Cricket's 3G network when in a traditional Cricket market. Cricket is aware of this issue and is monitoring its effects on their cross roaming agreements. There are no plans to roll out a fix at this point considering the merger is complete and preparations are underway to transition Cricket's customer base over to GSM and LTE service and away from cross roaming agreements.

There is no way to maintain the 4G connection as the phone eventually realizes it is connected to the wrong network and reverts back to the correct network.
    *Only PM me when asked. Please post to the forum first as you and the many members here will benefit from the conversation!"

Been fixing, flashing, and activating Cricket phones since 2004.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Ah, disappointing that one of our geniuses doesn't have have a rooting and hacking trick to keep in on Sprint, it seems it would be possible somehow.... but oh well

Customer Since
    Feb 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

It has already been discussed here http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...s-back-3g.html

Customer Since
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by ajw6381 View Post

I see.. i missed that thread. Well maybe I will go ahead and root my S4 then, to force the 4G connection to stay. So in the end, were any of those apps being used that are mentioned in the other thread allowing calls and text in, while remaining on the 4G network?

Customer Since
    Feb 2011
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by mjustin88 View Post
    I see.. i missed that thread. Well maybe I will go ahead and root my S4 then, to force the 4G connection to stay. So in the end, were any of those apps being used that are mentioned in the other thread allowing calls and text in, while remaining on the 4G network?
    If you use the app to force LTE only then you will not have any network access for calling or texting, only data will be available. Recently when I have used this app I will be on 4G for a while and without losing signal, I will lose all internet access. I will still have 3 to 4 bars and 4G at the top, but no internet access. I will then need to switch to LTE/CDMA auto PRL and I will get my data restored. Then I can move back to LTE only and have 4G access again. That has only happened twice, I'm not sure what caused this. The only message I get was in my browser and it stated "Unable to connect to proxy server".

I usually use the airplane method. It is more stable and I can still be notified if someone is trying to contact me. At my house, I need to turn on/off airplane mode twice. The first time I will get 4G and it will last about 10-20 seconds, so I just wait until it goes away. As soon as it disappears I will switch to airplane mode and then as soon as I see the airplane in the notification bar turn off airplane mode. I will then have 4G until I leave my house or get a call or text. I have had 4G for 2 days straight using this method.
    Last edited by ajw6381; 04-02-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Overall activity: 8.0%

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Once AIO wireless merger you'll all have to but new phones

Cricket has NO 4G ANYWHERE. 4G WOULD be at speeds of 12mb up and nothing less. As you've experienced you said your up was at 6 that's a fast 3G. DON'T LET THESE DEALERS AND CRICKET WIRELESS EMPLOYEES TELL YOU DIFFERENT THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. ONE TIRED TELLING ME WITH THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 YOU COULD TURN OFF CERTAIN PROCESSORS TO SAVE BATTERY LIFE, lmao!

Customer Since
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by jelous87 View Post
    Cricket has NO 4G ANYWHERE. 4G WOULD be at speeds of 12mb up and nothing less. As you've experienced you said your up was at 6 that's a fast 3G. DON'T LET THESE DEALERS AND CRICKET WIRELESS EMPLOYEES TELL YOU DIFFERENT THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT. ONE TIRED TELLING ME WITH THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 YOU COULD TURN OFF CERTAIN PROCESSORS TO SAVE BATTERY LIFE, lmao!
    I am not deceived, and am aware how fast the service is on other carriers, lol. I simply refer to it as '4G' because that is what it says on the phone display, as opposed to 1x, 3G...4G.

Thread Information