Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Proffitt View Post
    The Cricket S4 is INCAPABLE of being used on GSM networks. Unless you're a hardware engineer with deep knowledge of the inner workings of the radio, it cannot be done. There is no way.
    Agree. Unless ATT can "simple switch" some of their GSM towers to include CDMA, it will never happen. More likely it will never happen if ATT is intending to fade out CDMA phones in a few years.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

i just pop opened my cricket galaxy s4 and it seems like it uses a different RF chip compared to i9505

The Cricket Galaxy S4 uses Qualcomm MDM9615 (it has LTE, HSPA+, EV-DO Rev B, TD-SCMA modem) instead of Qualcomm MDM9215M which is found on i9505 (which has LTE Rel 9, HSPA+ Rel 8 1x DO, TD-SCDMA, GSM/EDGE modem)

I am not sure if it has a separate chip (WTR1605 or RTR8600 to handle GSM).

wp_20131118_23_52_07_pro.jpgwp_20131118_23_53_15_pro.jpg

Gold Member

I like your style rcarlos243. Nice disassembly and report. Does an ATT S3 board fit a Cricket S3 phone? And would it turn on and work, curious.

i take back what i said, i am not sure but according to qualcomm product sheet. MSM9615 does have a GSM modem included

Qualcomm Document Center

i am not sure what RF chip other Galaxy S4 use (such as verizon, us cellular and sprint) so there might be a possibility we could unlock the GSM functionality of cricket Galaxy s4 if the other version also uses MDM9615 and maybe force flash it through JTAG

just saw the motherboard of galaxy s4 (US Cellular and Verizon Variant) and they use the exact same chip as Galaxy S4 cricket (MDM9615M)

verizon(sch-i545)
    verizon.jpg

us cellular (sch-r970)
    us-cellular.jpg

it turns out that Galaxy S4 verizon(SCH-i545) can work with GSM carriers but no LTE.

if someone could figure out how to force flash the baseband of SCH-i545 to our Cricket Galaxy S4, we should be able to use GSM carriers on our phone.

Gold Member

Sometimes mother boards don't have the circuitry to use all a chips capibilities. And has anyone ever seen any phone that currently runs on gsm and cdma. Not read about it or had possbilities but actually had one that did? Some foreign phone maybe???

sent from your mama's house.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    Sometimes mother boards don't have the circuitry to use all a chips capibilities. And has anyone ever seen any phone that currently runs on gsm and cdma. Not read about it or had possbilities but actually had one that did? Some foreign phone maybe???

sent from your mama's house.
    my previous phone verizon droid razr(xt912) and verizon iphone 5 (A1429) both worked on GSM carriers though it has no lte.

Customer Since
    June 2010
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

B.S. at the end of this Month U will have 4G and atnt nation wide coverage a new variety of gsm phones and a clear understanding of what is going on.

Overall activity: 9.0%

Customer Since
    March 201
    Phone
    SCH-R970C

[GUIDE] Galaxy S4 Sim-Unlocking - xda-developers

try this, worked like a charm for my phone. mine is permanent since since flashing, bricking, crashing, and freezing my phone hasn't made it lose its full 4G LTE signal. I have not removed my sim card since though as Im sure it might lose it then.

gootta love XDA forums

Quote Originally Posted by d33w33zy33 View Post

[GUIDE] Galaxy S4 Sim-Unlocking - xda-developers

try this, worked like a charm for my phone. mine is permanent since since flashing, bricking, crashing, and freezing my phone hasn't made it lose its full 4G LTE signal. I have not removed my sim card since though as Im sure it might lose it then.

gootta love XDA forums
    Hello, were you able to do this with a compatible sim card? I only have an incompatible card as of now.

Did you unlock the sim using a Sim Card that already worked with the SCH-R970 before the guide?

Customer Since
    June 2010
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2270191

A lot of policy changes will free Us up to go to other cdma carrier's. We still want the full potential of gsm on Our handsets th0. I just recently saw this thread and wanted to share

I called cricket 2 weeks ago they said that my sch-r970c phone would work on the new cricket gsm network. My sch-r970c is the white phone. Before I updated the phone to 4.3, I could get into the main menu and change it from cdma to gsm the settings have to be change. Jerryellison31.

Overall activity: 7.0%

Quote Originally Posted by jerryellison31 View Post
    I called cricket 2 weeks ago they said that my sch-r970c phone would work on the new cricket gsm network. My sch-r970c is the white phone. Before I updated the phone to 4.3, I could get into the main menu and change it from cdma to gsm the settings have to be change. Jerryellison31.
    I'm still on 4.2 but I can't figure out how to get into the main menu. Could you share how you did it, or where to find the info?

The dialer codes don't seem to work for me, tried several, but it's possible I don't have the correct ones.

Also, does anyone know if this phone can be flashed over to Sprint? I'm not too happy about getting shafted by Cricket since my phone is just barely a year old and they won't give me unlock code or let me use it on the the "New" f'd up Cricket. Any tips?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information