Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: update to 4.3?

Overall activity: 6.0%

Phone
    Samsung Note 3

update to 4.3?

Hi, all.

I've been doing some reading on here re: the 4.3 update, but am still confused. When I purchased my S4, I followed the recovery + root instructions provided by Shabbypenguin at http://www.cricketusers.com/s4-root-...very-root.html. Thought I was rooted, but both Root Checker Basic and Simple Root Checker indicate that I am not. And when I attempt to start SuperSU (as a test), I receive the message: "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Does this mean that I'm not rooted and, therefore, can install the 4.3 update without triggering anything? If not, can someone lead me to instructions on what I need to do to update my S4?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Nerd
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsey74 View Post
    Hi, all.

I've been doing some reading on here re: the 4.3 update, but am still confused. When I purchased my S4, I followed the recovery + root instructions provided by Shabbypenguin at http://www.cricketusers.com/s4-root-...very-root.html. Thought I was rooted, but both Root Checker Basic and Simple Root Checker indicate that I am not. And when I attempt to start SuperSU (as a test), I receive the message: "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!"

Does this mean that I'm not rooted and, therefore, can install the 4.3 update without triggering anything? If not, can someone lead me to instructions on what I need to do to update my S4?

Thanks in advance.
    You are not rooted if you get that message. Go to this website and download the ODIN for 4.3
    Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

Use odin 3.07 and load the extracted file. Always make sure to select PDA to load the OS (those things you will know after you read up on how to odin, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that, better don't).

Read up on how to update using odin. Make sure your battery is 100% charged. It is a safe procedure if you don't overcomplicate it in your head and follow some basic instructions.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Hi, all.

Thanks in advance.
    You are not rooted if you get that message. Go to this website and download the ODIN for 4.3
    Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

Use odin 3.07 and load the extracted file. Always make sure to select PDA to load the OS (those things you will know after you read up on how to odin, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that, better don't).

Read up on how to update using odin. Make sure your battery is 100% charged. It is a safe procedure if you don't overcomplicate it in your head and follow some basic instructions.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Phone
    Samsung Note 3

Thanks for the fyi, Dina. For clarification, since I followed the instructions provided by ShabbyPenguin at http://www.cricketusers.com/s4-root-...very-root.html, I can't update the normal way? If I'm not rooted, which I thought I was going to accomplish using those instructions, what did I accomplish? Can I undo what I did? If so, should I (i.e., will I cause any problems with my phone if I can and do undo this)?

Sorry for all the questions -- noob here.

Nerd
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Thanks for the fyi, Dina. For clarification, since I followed the instructions provided by ShabbyPenguin at http://www.cricketusers.com/s4-root-...very-root.html, I can't update the normal way? If I'm not rooted, which I thought I was going to accomplish using those instructions, what did I accomplish? Can I undo what I did? If so, should I (i.e., will I cause any problems with my phone if I can and do undo this)?

Sorry for all the questions -- noob here.

If your update is downloaded, it should run since you did not do any major edits. And no problem
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Phone
    Samsung Note 3

Yes, it's downloaded. Just keeps asking me to install (which I've been putting off for awhile because of all the conversations re: Knox, root, and voided warranties). So it's okay to go ahead with the regular install?

Thread Information