Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Cable and Satellite Alternatives

What do you think of the alternatives to cable and satellite television?

Some examples of alternatives could be Netflix and Roku.

Roku is a one time fee for the device, and after that a lot of content is free. If you want premium content, like Netflix, you need to pay a small monthly fee.

There is also Hulu available free of charge online, and Hulu Plus available for a fee.

With HDMI cables on laptops and netbooks, it's easy to watch online content on your TV. You can go to a lot of the major networks' websites such as CBS, ABC, and NBC, and connect your computer to your TV to watch the shows.

At times, you can even watch live TV online. Some local news sites have their live TV streaming on there. I think I've even see Fox News do this before.

If you want some live TV all the time, you can get an antenna and watch TV Over The Air (OTA). This is another free way to watch TV.

So, what do you think of the alternatives? Do you think you might eventually get rid of your cable or satellite service?

Right now, I think I want to keep DirecTV. But, in the future I might drop it for online content. I'd like more live content to be available first though.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    EVO 4G

I just gave up my Directv $150 month.

My current setup is:

-Netflix on the Wii, phone, and computer
    -Rabbit ears for watching HD local channels and the major networks for free
    -burn DVDs for any movie that I feel the need to watch including ones in theater (personal use only)
    - $2 theater for movies that have been out for 3-4 months
    - tried playon.tv and it has great potential, but wasn't sold yet. You can stream live/recorded shows, movies, news, sports, etc. to the Wii from your pc

Sent from my King's Alliance Evo running 4G data

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    I just gave up my Directv $150 month.

My current setup is:

-Netflix on the Wii, phone, and computer
    -Rabbit ears for watching HD local channels and the major networks for free
    -burn DVDs for any movie that I feel the need to watch including ones in theater (personal use only)
    - $2 theater for movies that have been out for 3-4 months
    - tried playon.tv and it has great potential, but wasn't sold yet. You can stream live/recorded shows, movies, news, sports, etc. to the Wii from your pc

Interesting. What else is in HD other than the local channels?

Phone
    EVO 4G

I only pick up the local network channels and some other crap channels like pbs, etc.

I do miss my ESPN and cable news. I get all the movies I need or want so I'm ok with that.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Meant channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. These are all avail in HD with an antenna.

Meant channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. These are all avail in HD with an antenna.

Do you have a DVR hooked up to record shows?

Phone
    EVO 4G

No, haven't thought of that but its a good idea.

No, haven't thought of that but its a good idea.

You can get a TB hard drive cheap now but I don't think that will work right away. You'd need to either use your computer or get a DVR that will allow an external hard drive to be connected to it.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

I built a Free to Air Satellite system using a Cool-SAT5000 tuner and a dish slightly bigger than a Direct TV dish. I get all the KU band channels in MPEG4 HD, including the 8VSB video format used by most OTA broadcast in 1920x1080p all 100% free. My DVR is a home built AMD 2.8 Ghz dual core computer running Ubuntu Linux 11.04 and MythTV software as my DVR with four 500GB SATA2 drives. I get over 48 channels in the U.S. free and in the clear, and around 250 overseas channels free and in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    I built a Free to Air Satellite system using a Cool-SAT5000 tuner and a dish slightly bigger than a Direct TV dish. I get all the KU band channels in MPEG4 HD, including the 8VSB video format used by most OTA broadcast in 1920x1080p all 100% free. My DVR is a home built AMD 2.8 Ghz dual core computer running Ubuntu Linux 11.04 and MythTV software as my DVR with four 500GB SATA2 drives. I get over 48 channels in the U.S. free and in the clear, and around 250 overseas channels free and in the clear.
    How many of those 48 channels are actually good channels? Do you get any popular ones?

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    How many of those 48 channels are actually good channels? Do you get any popular ones?
    Local broadcast I get 48 channels, only 40 of them are in English. On the FTA system, there are close to 870 channels, mostly stuff overseas. I only watch 70 to 80 of them.

I get ABC, CBS, NBC, 2 MyTV networks, 3 TheCW network channels, 8 PBS channels, 4 HSN (Home Shopping Network) channels, 4 RTV (Retro TV Network channels) 20 Music channels ranging from Country, Rock, soft rock, metal, classical. I do get the NASA Select TV channel, WTBN, WABC, there must be 10 version of those channels. Also on the list are XM Radio, Sirius Radio (Have to pay for those two) A bunch of movie classics channels from the 1940's to 2009. And about 4 cooking channels from Create TV, also a huge selection of non-profit radio stations. One of them I like is the GCN Radio Network. There you will find ShortWave radio stations that talk just about everything that is going on in the world that most news outlets refuse to carry. That is New World Order, micro chips, freedom, corrupt government -- you name it, it's all there.

The OTA, or Over the Air channels are just local broadcast only. In most states in the U.S. you will pick up around 30 to 40 channels depending on your outdoor antenna setup is. I'm using a a 32 element yagi beam for ATSC OTA stuff, and a used Direct TV HD Dish and tri-pod. The only thing you will need to do is remove the feed horn, and LNA and replace it with a KU band system. C-Band is out of the question unless you have a house and back yard, then you can install a huge 10 or 20 foot dish and pickup well over 3,800 channels all over the world.

I will only list a few channels here as the complete list is over 837 channels long.

CBS-1: 1021 HD Local Broadcast.

NBC-1: 1041 HD Local Broadcast.
    NBC-2: 1042 DT Sub Channel 2
    NBC-3: 1044 DT Sub Channel 3

TheCW-1: 1051 HD Local Broadcast.
    TheCW-2: 1052 DT Sub Channel 2
    This--3: 1053 DT "This" TV Network.

ABC-1: 1071 HD Local Broadcast.
    ABC-2: 1072 DT Sub Channel 2
    ABC-3: 1073 DT Sub Channel 3

RTV-1: 1081 DT Retro TV Network (KFLALD1)
    KFLALD2: 1082 DT Sub Channel 2 - Movie Classics 1
    KFLALD3: 1083 DT Sub Channel 3 - Movie Classics 2
    KFLALD4: 1085 DT Sub Channel 4 - Sitcoms - Movies 3
    KFLALD5: 1088 DT Sub Channel 5 - Weather, Movies. 4
    KFLALD6: 1089 DT Sub Channel 6 - Spanish Broadcast.

KCAL-09: 1091 HD Local Broadcast.

FOX-1: 1011 HD Local Broadcast.
    FOX-2: 1012 DT Sub Channel 2

MyTV-1: 1013 HD Local Broadcast.

KSCIDT3: 1018.3 Local UHF TV Broadcast 3

HSN-1: 1020.2 HD Home Shopping Network.

KNLALD-1: 1025.1 DT Shopping Channel 1
    KNLALD-2: 1027.2 DT Shopping Channel 2

KPXNDT-1: 1030.1 HD Ion Network.
    KPXNDT-2: 1030.2 DT
    KPXNDT-3: 1030.3 DT

KTBNDT-3: 1040.4 DT Music Videos.

NASA Select TV.
    Last edited by Hexley; 08-02-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    Local broadcast I get 48 channels, only 40 of them are in English. On the FTA system, there are close to 870 channels, mostly stuff overseas. I only watch 70 to 80 of them.

I get ABC, CBS, NBC, 2 MyTV networks, 3 TheCW network channels, 8 PBS channels, 4 HSN (Home Shopping Network) channels, 4 RTV (Retro TV Network channels) 20 Music channels ranging from Country, Rock, soft rock, metal, classical. I do get the NASA Select TV channel, WTBN, WABC, there must be 10 version of those channels. Also on the list are XM Radio, Sirius Radio (Have to pay for those two) A bunch of movie classics channels from the 1940's to 2009. And about 4 cooking channels from Create TV, also a huge selection of non-profit radio stations. One of them I like is the GCN Radio Network. There you will find ShortWave radio stations that talk just about everything that is going on in the world that most news outlets refuse to carry. That is New World Order, micro chips, freedom, corrupt government -- you name it, it's all there.

The OTA, or Over the Air channels are just local broadcast only. In most states in the U.S. you will pick up around 30 to 40 channels depending on your outdoor antenna setup is. I'm using a a 32 element yagi beam for ATSC OTA stuff, and a used Direct TV HD Dish and tri-pod. The only thing you will need to do is remove the feed horn, and LNA and replace it with a KU band system. C-Band is out of the question unless you have a house and back yard, then you can install a huge 10 or 20 foot dish and pickup well over 3,800 channels all over the world.

I will only list a few channels here as the complete list is over 837 channels long.

CBS-1: 1021 HD Local Broadcast.

NBC-1: 1041 HD Local Broadcast.
    NBC-2: 1042 DT Sub Channel 2
    NBC-3: 1044 DT Sub Channel 3

TheCW-1: 1051 HD Local Broadcast.
    TheCW-2: 1052 DT Sub Channel 2
    This--3: 1053 DT "This" TV Network.

ABC-1: 1071 HD Local Broadcast.
    ABC-2: 1072 DT Sub Channel 2
    ABC-3: 1073 DT Sub Channel 3

RTV-1: 1081 DT Retro TV Network (KFLALD1)
    KFLALD2: 1082 DT Sub Channel 2 - Movie Classics 1
    KFLALD3: 1083 DT Sub Channel 3 - Movie Classics 2
    KFLALD4: 1085 DT Sub Channel 4 - Sitcoms - Movies 3
    KFLALD5: 1088 DT Sub Channel 5 - Weather, Movies. 4
    KFLALD6: 1089 DT Sub Channel 6 - Spanish Broadcast.

KCAL-09: 1091 HD Local Broadcast.

FOX-1: 1011 HD Local Broadcast.
    FOX-2: 1012 DT Sub Channel 2

MyTV-1: 1013 HD Local Broadcast.

KSCIDT3: 1018.3 Local UHF TV Broadcast 3

HSN-1: 1020.2 HD Home Shopping Network.

KNLALD-1: 1025.1 DT Shopping Channel 1
    KNLALD-2: 1027.2 DT Shopping Channel 2

KPXNDT-1: 1030.1 HD Ion Network.
    KPXNDT-2: 1030.2 DT
    KPXNDT-3: 1030.3 DT

KTBNDT-3: 1040.4 DT Music Videos.

NASA Select TV.
    Interesting. How much would you say it cost to set it up?

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Interesting. How much would you say it cost to set it up?
    I was able to find all the parts I needed for under $300 bucks. A CoolSAT tuner is the most expensive, around $200 dollars or more used. If you can, get a Cool SAT 5500 or better. Those have a programmers card slot for pay TV channels. or you can find the nearest FTA store in your area and get a demo of a set up already running. If you can get away with putting in a C-Band and KU-Band system on a 10 foot delta dish, you wont even need cable TV or Direct TV ever again. Most of the stuff you pay over $100 dollars a month for on cable tv and or dish network, is free and in the clear. The only channels not in the clear of HBO, ShowTime, Box Office, basically any pay per view channel.

A C-Band set up will cost you around $500 or more because of the size of the dish needed. If you want to pickup direct tv or dish network, you can just pay $25 a month for a program card and put it in your tuner and pick up those networks you have to pay for, plus you'll have OTA and FTA all in one.

The only reason why I went this route is I got tired of paying those rental fee's a month. Plus I use my Linux box with MythTV installed as my DVR.

If you can get away with putting in a C-Band and KU-Band system on a 10 foot delta dish, you wont even need cable TV or Direct TV ever again. Most of the stuff you pay over $100 dollars a month for on cable tv and or dish network, is free and in the clear.
    So, that isn't free, it's actually $25/month?

If it is free, will I get CNN and Fox News? What about TruTV?

Thanks!

Phone
    LG Optimus C

So, that isn't free, it's actually $25/month?

If it is free, will I get CNN and Fox News? What about TruTV?

Thanks!
    Fox News, MSNBC, MSN, CNN, C-SPAN, The Disney Channel, all free. Not sure on TruTV. I'll have to find the transponder frequency for it. But most of these channels including the ones I listed a few posts back are free to begin with as they are paid for by advertising. What your really paying extra for is the licence fee's your cable & satellite service is billed by contract to carry those channels, when in truth, these local networks are in the clear and free using an antenna on your roof.

From what I understand, your local satellite service is not really supposed to be charging money to carry local broadcast networks you can already pickup in your area with an antenna. I remember reading a FCC ruling that stopped cable and satellite services from doing that. Since the government doesn't seem to care about enforcing their own law, it's best to see if your digital TV will pickup ATSC stuff over the air. If you can pickup at least 20 or more channels, then tell your satellite and cable tv you want to drop the local channels you already pickup on antenna.

You will save $25 bucks a month.
    Last edited by Hexley; 08-02-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information