Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Homeless Hotspots @ SXSW in Austin, TX

Oh yeah we're definitely keeping it weird at SXSW in Austin....

SXSW 'Homeless Hotspots' ignite controversy

by Chenda Ngak March 12, 2012 3:54 PM PDT

Advertising agency sparks debate for using homeless men as Internet hot spots.

(Credit: BBH Labs)

The advertising agency
    Bartle Bogle Hegarty's

BHH Labs

launched a campaign at the film, music and interactive festival South by Southwest (
    SXSW

) in Austin, Texas, that is raising ire among critics.

In what appears to be a case of poor judgment, BBH Labs kicked off a campaign called "
    Homeless Hotspots

." Yep. It is exactly what it sounds like--walking, talking homeless people who provide access to a 4G network in exchange for a donation (BBH Labs suggests $2 per 15 minutes).

The homeless people in question include Clarence from New Orleans, who lost his house to Hurricane Katrina, and Jeffrey from Pittsburgh who was treated for traumatic brain injury. Their short biographies are heart-wrenching, immediately evoking empathy for their situation.

The 13 men who have been chosen to participate in the program are roaming the streets of Austin in T-shirts that say "I am a 4G hotspot." The campaign has drawn ire from some who claim it's dehumanizing.

"The digital divide has never hit us over the head with a more blunt display of unselfconscious gall,"
    said ReadWriteWeb's Jon Mitchell

who also wonders why their T-shirts say "I am a hotspot." Mitchell cited Content Magazine editor Erin Kissane's tweet, "Last thought before sleeping: the difference between 'I'm running a hotspot' and 'I am a hotspot' is a difference that matters."

"We are not selling anything. There is no brand involved. There is no commercial benefit whatsoever," BBH Labs
    responded to the criticism in a blog post

. The problem is they are selling and branding something: their company. Not to mention, the company's current project "
    Underheard in NY

." BBH Labs used that project to
    segue

to the "Homeless Hotspots" campaign.

In a blog post on March 6,

BBH Labs compared "Homeless Hotspots" with street newspapers, like San Francisco's Street Sheet or New York City's Street News. That analogy is troublesome because street newspapers serve to advocate the plight of homeless people by enabling them to work.

Typically, street newspapers are staffed by homeless people and report on topics that are relevant to their struggle. The newspapers are then distributed for free to the homeless, who can sell them on the streets in exchange for a donation. Using a human being as an Internet connection for a festival is not quite the same thing.

BBH Labs did admit their analogy was ill-conceived.

"The biggest criticism (which we agree with actually) is that Street Newspapers allow for content creation by the homeless (we encourage those to research this a bit more as it certainly does not work exactly as you would assume)," the BBH Labs said in a statement.

It's not just the lack of meaningful content that is bothersome. The "Homeless Hotspot" campaign turns these 13 men into a social experiment with apparently little merit.

"It was an honest attempt to help, but the chosen priorities left it with all model and no substance,"
    said Mitchell.

This post was originally published on CBSNews.com's
    Tech Talk

blog.

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

I think this is an excellent idea.

Phone Whore(;
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    I think this is an excellent idea.
    So did I.
    hahahaha
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Those complainers are probably tapping into that 4g as they blog about it.

Overall activity: 1.0%

dehumanized? I don't understand that if they are willing to do it. Heck if I didn't have a job and could I would.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

I think it's a good idea, as long as they're willing to do it (as the poster above mentioned).

Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

I want that shirt!!!!

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Having been homeless (in Austin, no less), I know there are plenty more things to dehumanize. I would have been happy to tote a wireless hotspot around.

Actually, I expect it made them feel MORE human having people want them to be around.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I guess I was not so far away from being homeless in Austin as well at one point.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information