Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Internet Sources (DSL, Cable, Fiber, Satellite, 3G, 4G, LTE, WiMax, HSPA+, etc)

Don't know where to go to start looking for an Internet provider? Terms confusing you? This post is here to help you understand different sources of Internet.

DSL: DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. DSL goes through your phone line. Your local phone company may offer DSL. According to Wikipedia, speeds can go up to 40 Mbps. Just like other sources, there is a "maximum speed". That doesn't mean you're going to get that speed though. The fastest advertised DSL speed that I've seen in my area is around 7 Mbps. I'm sure there is something else available for businesses though.

With DSL, you're going through a "Central Office". So, the closer you are to that office, the faster your speeds are (up to your advertised speed). The farther you are from the central office, the slower your speeds are. You usually need to be closer than 3.4 miles in order to get DSL service. It won't reach much further than that.

With DSL, you basically have your own connection to the central office. Other people using DSL won't slow you down.

I've never seen a bandwidth limit on DSL. It would vary by provider though.

Cable: Unlike DSL, with cable you can be much farther away from the central office. According to Wikipedia, it is typically up to 100 miles. With cable, maximum speeds are much higher. According to Wikipedia, maximum speeds for cable are around 400 Mbps.

The fastest advertised speed for cable I've seen in my area is 105 Mbps.

Unlike DSL, with cable, if others in your area are using a lot of bandwidth, you might notice a change in speeds.

With cable, there may be a bandwidth limit. With Comcast, it is 250 GB.

Fiber: With Fiber internet, the maximum speeds are around 1 Gbps.

The fastest advertised speed I've seen locally are 150 Mbps. Depending on your area, a speed faster may be available. Google was working on something that may bring 1 Gbps broadband to many people.

I haven't seen any bandwidth limits with Fiber.

Satellite: Satellite internet is slower than DSL and Cable. Satellite internet has a maximum speed of about 1 Gbps, but usually are advertised a lot slower. The fastest advertised satellite internet speed I've seen is 5 Mbps.

Latency is also not as good on satellite internet connections when compared to DSL, Cable, and Fiber connections. Therefore, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is not recommended. You also might have trouble with online gaming.

Satellite internet is good if you don't have other options in your area. Most satellite providers have very low data caps as far as usage goes. For heavy users, you will probably become throttled quickly.

WISP: Wireless Internet Service Providers are usually found in rural areas where traditional broadband does not exist. These providers are usually small and you will want to survey the area for their reliability. However they can feed high speed Internet into access points on antenna towers, water towers, etc and disburse it to the local populous. Their data caps might be more lenient or non existent compared to satellite.
    http://www.wispdirectory.com/

3G: 3G speeds vary. EVDO Rev-A can get speeds up to 3.1 Mbps. HSPA and HSPA+ may be advertised as 4G, but technically they're still 3G. HSPA and HSPA+ speeds vary, topping out at around 84 Mbps. In the future, HSPA+ will be able to go even faster. 1X is also considered 3G, but speeds are slow.

3G is good to use for broadband if there aren't other options in your area. I wouldn't recommend using VoIP over some 3G connections. Also, many 3G connections do have a cap. It varies on the provider.

4G: 4G is still new in the United States. I'm not aware of any 4G provider at this time.

With 4G, maximum speeds are around 1 Gbps. LTE-Advanced is considered 4G. Currently, I'm not aware of any providers in the United States that has LTE-Advanced.

VoIP should work fine over 4G. 4G should be fine as a home Internet connection, even if other options such as DSL and Cable are available. Just think, with 4G you will be able to bring your "cable" connection with you. It's like, wireless cable! It might even be faster!

LTE: LTE stands for Long Term Evolution. There is LTE which is still 3G, and then there is LTE-Advanced, which is 4G. With LTE-Advanced, you can hit speeds up to 100 Mbps. You should be able to use VoIP over LTE. LTE should be fine as a home Internet connection.

WiMax: WiMAX has a maximum speed of 1 Gbps. It's similar to LTE. You should be able to use VoIP over WiMax. WiMax should be fine as a home Internet connection.

HSPA and HDPA+: HSPA and HSPA+ is considered 4G, although it is advertised as otherwise. HSPA+ can reach speeds of 84 Mbps. You should be able to use VoIP over HSPA+. HSPA+ should be fine as a home Internet connection.

More to come!

I hope this helps you have a better understanding over different sources of Internet access and different technologies.

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 08-04-2011 at 11:13 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    LG Optimus C

I'm on 3G using Cricket and I never seem to go faster than 1.37 megs a second. When I hit my 1 GB limit, I see speeds between 0.50K to 0.80K, and can not reach the 100K limit like some claim to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    I'm on 3G using Cricket and I never seem to go faster than 1.37 megs a second. When I hit my 1 GB limit, I see speeds between 0.50K to 0.80K, and can not reach the 100K limit like some claim to get.
    I've hit around 2.4 Mbps before on Cricket. When throttled, I usually get speeds around 100 kbps. I wonder why your speeds are slower..

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Added info about WISPs. Much better solution for home Internet in my experience for people in rural areas. Just have to hope you have a good one in your area.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I've hit around 2.4 Mbps before on Cricket. When throttled, I usually get speeds around 100 kbps. I wonder why your speeds are slower..
    I have no idea.

Phone
    EVO 4G

Good info Avenue

Sent from my King's Alliance Evo running 4G data

Thread Information