Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Lightbulb Netflix changes, and my take on the whole thing.

Just wondering what everyone's take on the Netflix increase is. I personally cut my DVD plan from 3 to 1. Streaming is where Netflix is pushing customers to, and they are doing it intentionally. I worked in movie rental/retail for about 7 years, and have sen first hand the Studio system's irrational fears of digital content delivery. To the Studios, digital = Piracy and lost money. Their response has been to heavily restrict access and limit choice. In truth, the more accessible the Studios make digital delivery, the less apt someone is going to be to just circumvent the system and pirate out of convenience and laziness. Netflix sees the writing on the wall, and is trying to force change through economics, risky, but smart. I would love to see the numbers that Netflix will surely be collecting regarding the amount of DVD plans cut Vs. Streaming plans cut. If consumers have a lick of sense, the numbers will show a massive amount of DVD plan cuts, and a rise in streaming accounts. Numbers Netflix can then use as a beatstick to get better content for its' users, in a more timely fashion. This is my opinion, but all these people cancelling Netflix as a knee-jerk reaction are actually hurting their options for the future, and playing directly into the Studio systems fears.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    EVO 4G

Personally, my family has always used Netflix on the Wii, computer, or phones. This will not affect us at all. When i want to watch a DVD, I use Redbox like most others do.

There have always been other ways to watch free movies/shows online if one wanted to circumvent Netflix. I like Netflix because it's the easiest method and their selection is not bad.

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I use to use Redbox first. Then I tried Netflix on my PS3. That PS3 broke. Got another one and it broke. They were separate errors. Man I'm starting to hate that thing, but sorry to drift.

At this point I don't think their fees are outrageous. I've never done the DVD thing with them. It sucks that some of the videos I've searched for were only available on DVD though.

Unrelated news, but the Blockbuster on 71 and A W Grimes is closing. Did post up in the meet and greet section Dsanders77? Just making sure our local forum members have a chance to win the Ascend 2 also..
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

sars101

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    Personally, my family has always used Netflix on the Wii, computer, or phones. This will not affect us at all. When i want to watch a DVD, I use Redbox like most others do.
    we have been using netflix less then 3 months. we talked about it and even though the price raised up its still way cheaper then any other movie rental store. cause as long as we keep the movies flowing we are saving money. i hate that most of the good movies are only on dvd. redbox was cool in the begining for me but they dont add new movies where we live.

Phone
    Droid 2

I sounds like pressure from all the studios are what is causing Netflix to shake things up. I hate the movie studios. I really do.

Phone
    EVO 4G

true, most good movies are on DVD, but that's why I will use Redbox for those and we also have a $2 movie theater with 6 month old movies so I have options if I need to see the newer releases.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Think I posted there when I first joined way back when, but will double check man. Thanks for the heads up.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

What about those who are on Cable Internet, DSL, 3G or 4G with a cap limit per month and either get throttled down, or just cut off. I would think those people would go somewhere else.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I personally think data caps are the work of Satan, and will be the next battlefront in the usage rights. Great blog on this here
    The Day Comcast

Quote Originally Posted by Dsanders77 View Post
    I personally think data caps are the work of Satan, and will be the next battlefront in the usage rights. Great blog on this here
    The Day Comcast

Well, it is clearly stated that there is a 250 GB data cap, and I think Comcast has the right to do that. You're not paying for unlimited service, you're paying for up to 250 GB. And, I would think it would be common sense to know that they mean 250 GB of "transfer" both upload and download, not just download. I don't know why someone would report a company for just following what is in their TOS. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, if Comcast said their service was unlimited, then that's different. They don't say that though.

It's the same as with Cricket. Cricket says their service will slow down after 1 GB. It's not like they say it will stay at the full speed and then it doesn't.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Well, it is clearly stated that there is a 250 GB data cap, and I think Comcast has the right to do that. You're not paying for unlimited service, you're paying for up to 250 GB. And, I would think it would be common sense to know that they mean 250 GB of "transfer" both upload and download, not just download. I don't know why someone would report a company for just following what is in their TOS. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, if Comcast said their service was unlimited, then that's different. They don't say that though.

It's the same as with Cricket. Cricket says their service will slow down after 1 GB. It's not like they say it will stay at the full speed and then it doesn't.
    Anytime I visit the My Cricket web site, I clearly see the words, "Unlimited" Then if you read the fine print, subject to fair usage. When you read the fair usage terms, I see a lot contradiction going on. First it's unlimited, then it's not. Then it's limited to 1GB, but wait! The word unlimited is on the front page under $55 dollar a month Android plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    Anytime I visit the My Cricket web site, I clearly see the words, "Unlimited" Then if you read the fine print, subject to fair usage. When you read the fair usage terms, I see a lot contradiction going on. First it's unlimited, then it's not. Then it's limited to 1GB, but wait! The word unlimited is on the front page under $55 dollar a month Android plan.
    Yeah, with Cricket I don't completely agree with the term "unlimited". Sure, the service keeps going, but unlimited in my mind means "without limits". Isn't throttling LIMITING the speed?

http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...vertising.html

With Comcast, I don't see where it says unlimited anywhere. It says 250 GB in small print. No throttling. It just cuts you off. That's why I don't understand why someone would report Comcast. They didn't do anything wrong.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Yeah, with Cricket I don't completely agree with the term "unlimited". Sure, the service keeps going, but unlimited in my mind means "without limits". Isn't throttling LIMITING the speed?

http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...vertising.html

With Comcast, I don't see where it says unlimited anywhere. It says 250 GB in small print. No throttling. It just cuts you off. That's why I don't understand why someone would report Comcast. They didn't do anything wrong.
    Technically, a person, or persons could challenge Cricket in a court of law under the false claim act and could get $$ compensation $$ for it because Cricket stated the words Unlimited. The reason I think most people never question it, is they know it's not really unlimited and just except the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
    Technically, a person, or persons could challenge Cricket in a court of law under the false claim act and could get $$ compensation $$ for it because Cricket stated the words Unlimited. The reason I think most people never question it, is they know it's not really unlimited and just except the terms.
    Oh, well we could also go against Virgin Mobile and many of the MVNO's. They advertise unlimited and have a cap. I think Net10 has a cap of like 10,000 minutes.

It's crazy. I guess nobody should advertise anything as unlimited anymore unless it truly is.

We can get very picky too. No more "all you can eat" buffets. I'm sure they will kick someone out that is eating all of the food from opening to closing.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Oh, well we could also go against Virgin Mobile and many of the MVNO's. They advertise unlimited and have a cap. I think Net10 has a cap of like 10,000 minutes.

It's crazy. I guess nobody should advertise anything as unlimited anymore unless it truly is.

We can get very picky too. No more "all you can eat" buffets. I'm sure they will kick someone out that is eating all of the food from opening to closing.
    Reminds me of the good old days in Las Vegas Nevada when every Hotel on the strip would cliam their Slot's were looser then someone else's. The gaming commission got down on all the Hotel's as it was false advertising. But still, Cell phone providers need to stop using the word "Unlimited" Unless it's in clear bold letters saying, Unlimited data to 2GB's and then slowed to 100k.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information