Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by printerr View Post
    I think I figured out what I was doing wrong and may have an unexpected chance to try again Monday. However, we have used the phone to take photos on vacation, plus we've already started doing other things on the phone. I don't want to lose anything that's been done. If I can manage to run Odin to get the kernel in my phone to hopefully fix the bad root, will this delete everything we've already done on the phone? Should I even risk trying it since I don't want to lose anything?

Thanks.
    You might. Id backup everything befor entering doing so if your worried.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

New gs4 out of the box. I updated to 4.3, used kingo root and then flashed twrp with odin. Just flashing twrp in odin would not root the device for me. Yes knox is tripped, but i am not concerned about that.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
    New gs4 out of the box. I updated to 4.3, used kingo root and then flashed twrp with odin. Just flashing twrp in odin would not root the device for me. Yes knox is tripped, but i am not concerned about that.

Try warboys mk4 file.. I flashed it.. Have 4.3 and I kept root from 4.2
    Quote Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Overall activity: 1.0%

OK, so I've tried flashing this two different ways: CWM and TWRP, (by the way, whoever did the teamwin twrp, nice job. That has to be the nicest and well thought out layout for a recovery that I have ever seen!) and with the same result. The kernel won't flash. It just fails everytime. Superuser flashes over though, but when I try to use any programs that would need root access, Root Explorer in this case, it tells me that I do not have root access. I've been at this about 6 hours now...
    Anyone else run into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbypenguin View Post
    Shabbypenguin[SIZE=4] and the [B]

OUDHS Touch CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.5
    for your Cricket Samsung Galaxy S 4

Read this whole post before doing anything

Enjoy

ODIN tar - OUDHS CWM-based Recovery 1.0.3.5

Odin 3.04

Directions:

1) Download the above files
    2) Extract Odin3-3.04.zip and copy the tar that you downloaded into the folder
    3) Run Odin as an administrator
    4) Power your device off
    5) Press and hold volume down, home, and power to enter download mode
    6a) Connect your phone to your computer
    6b) Wait for drivers to finish installing if they need to be
    7) You should see Odin find your device by marking a blue square in the ID COM box
    8) Click on PDA and choose the recovery tar you downloaded
    9) Click start
    10) when it says finished you need to beat your phone in a race
    11) you need to unplug it and press and hold vol up, power, and home until the blue text appears
    12) let go :P
    13 once you have booted into recovery it will handle the script that installs stock recovery if its present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrats you now have CWM now if you wish to root youll need to follow these instructions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Superuser.zip

Directions:

1) Download the above file
    2) Connect your phone and copy them to your phone
    3) Once they are copied power down your device
    4) Hold volume up and power to enter recovery
    5) Navigate recovery by using the volume keys and power to select
    6) Choose install zip from sdcard, then pick internal or external (where you copied it to)
    7) Scroll down to the Superuser.zip and select it to install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Congrats you are rooted! this procedure will work on any firmware update you guys get

With the SGS4 samsung has introduced a setuid kernel, which will block root access. you will need to flash a source compiled kernel in order to fully root or use SuperSU (which is why ive provided that ).

Credits:
    Members of the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad (OUDHS) for being the best we can for those whom need us
    Garwynn for helping with stuff
    Stephen-Proffitt for testing
    [QUOTE=Shabbypenguin;149657]when you try to leave recovery it will scan a few things, that script, if you have root, if permissions are properly set on root etc to make sure that you dont have

I can't even get that far I have everything up to the point where I get to recovery with the penguin on it and then nothing happens do I need to do something with those source files and is so what and how do I get them. Please help thank you

Overall activity: 4.0%

Customer Since
    March2014

Running 4.3 factory MK4 and can't get root.

I've tried CWM and TWRP and have success installing and flashing all kinds of SuperSU and Superuser zip's with success everytime but cannot seem to get root access. I've flashed latest builds of TWRP and SuperSU and I can install Superuser but upon Root Check it tells me This device does not have root access. Bought this SCH-R970C 2 weeks ago running the latest OTA MK4 update as it was installed out of the box. Is this build unrootable? Can I flash MI3, obtain root, and then reflash MK4 with Odin3? I've rooted both Photon 4G and Dinc with no problems. Any help would be appreciated and don't be afraid to geek out on me just hoping to get this thing rooted whatever way possible. Thanks in advance

First time rooting" solo yeah hope i don't mess anything up ..... Help ?

Overall activity: 4.0%

Customer Since
    March2014

Anybody still here?

I just got a new S4 from Cricket about 2 wks ago. It has 4.3 installed already, however it wants to do an OTA update. The notification is always there but I have not allowed it because I am undecided about modding this phone. I had another S4 from USCC and I rooted it and was running CM 11. I moved to Colorado which USCC does not cover and when I tried to have the phone flashed over to be used on Cricket the tech guys at 3 different stores couldn't do it due to my mods, or at least so they said. I got frustrated and just bought a new S4 from them and I don't want to go through all this again if I decide to switch carriers again in the future.
    I have sort of decided that I am going to take my chances and root this one anyway. With that being said, I am researching and putting together a plan for if I do decide to do it for sure. What I need to know at this point is whether to go ahead and do the OTA update first, or root first? I'm not sure about a custom ROM yet, but if I do root, I will most likely go ahead with that as well.

So my questions are as follows;
    1. Is it the root or the custom ROM that trip KNOX?
    2. Is KNOX the reason some carriers can't or won't flash phones over?
    3. Does my not doing the OTA update have any affect on what I can do to this phone?
    4. How exactly do I use the source kernel above? What do I do once I click the link?

I apologize, I am a beginner. I have rooted many devices and done some modding, but I don't have the expertise of a developer. Any information helps and thanks in advance for any and all advise... Happy modding!!!

Overall activity: 5.0%

Customer Since

Hi,
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4SCH-R970C and was able to rooted and flash the ROM but when I put the SIM from Moto G cell it said SIM was removed...put the SIM and restart... and also took it to Cricekt store and the same thing happen...also I called the Cricket support and I gave them the IMEI they told me it would work on the new Cricket network.

Any idea or do you know if Samsung Galaxy S4SCH-R970C will work on the new Cricket network?

Thanks, JJ

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

SCH-R970C is a CDMA phone. Cricket CDMA network will stop working March 31, 2015. So it will not work on the new GSM network.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread Information