Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Unroot S4?

Overall activity: 0%

Question Unroot S4?

Because I have no technical ability whatsoever, I paid a professional to root my Cricket SGS4. It didn't fully take, and he could not figure out how to make it fully work, but kept insisting that it is rooted, but just won't read some things or something like that. I sent him a link to this forum, and he said that the method recommended in the sticky post didn't work (note: I suspect that if he did try doing the ODIN and tar thing, he did it on the already rooted phone. I'm assuming that the method needs to be done on an unrooted phone, not a rooted phone whose root isn't working right...am I correct?). He gave me my money back since he couldn't accomplish what I requested, but he did not take his work out of my phone and leave it as I brought it to him (which was a brand new, just purchased phone). Now I am stuck with the task of figuring out what to do. He said something about I have to replace the software with a copy of the original software (hardware version R970C 02?) in order to remove the rooting that he did. Can anyone walk me through (very detailed since I know nothing about technology) what I need to do to unroot? Do I really need to unroot in order to do the root method listed in the sticky on the forum? Or is there another way to get the rooting to work properly?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

First things first.

1. Download a root checker program from playstore and tell us what it says.
    2. "but just won't read some things or something like that" doesnt tell us much.
    3. the rooting in the S4 thread is super simple.
    4. Follow what the guru's say on this forum.
    Last edited by wiseoldman; 11-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Customer Since
    Nov 2011
    Phone
    LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    First things first.

1. Download a root checker program from playstore and tell us what it says.
    2. "but just won't read some things or something like that" doesnt tell us much.
    3. the rooting in the S4 thread is super simple.
    4. Follow what the guru's say on this forum.

+1

This is exactly what I would have posted.

Without better info to go on, we can't help you. HOWEVER if you do not know how to do it or why you should, then don't root it.
    My work on the CDMA Cricket S3 and S4 are now obsolete. Thanks for all the support when I was actively working on them!

Feel free to PM me only after you've posted on the forums.

If you need to buy something from Ebay, please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

It will be a shared phone with my family and will be a surprise once I have it all ready, so I don't have the e-mail address that will be associated with playstore and can't download anything from there. Is there a way to manually download a root checker without going through playstore? I'm rooting because I will be using spyware to keep my family safe and some of the features don't work without the phone being rooted. I want to have it all set up before I let them know about it because once I let them know about it, the language on the phone will be changed and I'm not fluent in the other language to be doing much other than the basics (call, text, use an app) once it's changed.

Gold Member

no excuses, create a family gmail email and download it.

Ok, so root checker says the phone does not have root access. However, the phone does have Superuser 1.0.1.1 installed.

Gold Member

Ok, sp or someone will need to reup the superuser.zip. then follow the instructions for installing it in this thread (or instructions by SP if you have stock recovery and not CWM.)

http://www.cricketusers.com/s4-root-...very-root.html
    Last edited by wiseoldman; 11-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.

So do I have to uninstall what I already have (Superuser 1.0.1.1) before I do the Recovery + Root in the other thread? And I'm not sure what you mean by stock recovery and CWM.

Gold Member

Just wait for SP or someone to chime in about what to do. You probably only have to flash that file but let them tell you how to do it.

sent from your mama's house.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    huawei mercury, S4

Just do everything exactly as it says on the link that's how I did it and it worked the first time.

Sent from my cricKet S4 running cm10.2

No offense to BMoney but s/he is a member and SP is a moderator, so I will do as WiseOldMan suggested and wait for SP to chime in. Thanks everyone for your patience with me.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    huawei mercury, S4

Quote Originally Posted by printerr View Post
    No offense to BMoney but s/he is a member and SP is a moderator, so I will do as WiseOldMan suggested and wait for SP to chime in. Thanks everyone for your patience with me.
    None taken.

Sent from my s4 running cm10.2

Ok. I started by downloading onto my computer the ODIN tar - OUDHS CWM-Based Recovery 1.0.3.5 from the recovery + root post. Then I downloaded the Odin3-3.04 file. I put the tar in the Odin3 zip folder and unzipped it. I clicked on the exe file and it opened the Odin3 window. I got my phone into download mode and plugged it into the computer. The computer found the new hardware MSM8960 and the wizard searched and searched and never stopped. The blue square never got marked in ID.COM in the Odin3 window. Therefore I did not proceed with clicking on the PDA to choose the tar. What did I do wrong or what do I need to do differently in order to proceed?

Thread Information