Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 12.0%

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Graphical Tutorial for ODIN

Ok so here is a walk thru of ODIN using the screen shots;

Step 1) Start ODIN
    1.png

2) Load the PIT file;
    2.png

3) Load the Proper Recovery and place check mark in PDA Field
    3.png

4) Remove the re-partition check mark
    4.png

5)Connect Phone that is in download mode to usb and Press START
    5.png

If it fails go thru steps 1 thru 3 and on step 4 remove the check mark for Auto-reboot.

Next tutorial I do will to show how to remove the Custom Recovery from your phone. (Will re-install factory recovery)
    Last edited by Raymond Leonard-Chip; 02-22-2014 at 11:42 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    Nov 2013

Here is what is happening to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Here is what is happening to me
    your phone is not in download mode. Power your phone off. disconnect it from USB. Press Vol Down + Menu Key + power until until you get into down load screen. then press Vol up at the prompts to go into down load mode. Then, making sure odin is ready to go, connect the USB and press start

Customer Since
    Nov 2013

OK here is the new screen. but still booting into stock screen.15.png

Overall activity: 1.0%

OMG thank you guys for making this thread! Finally got to root this phone. My mom has it and im tired of seeing all the bloatware slow the phone down. If anyone still has the problem of it saying it worked but still booting to stock recovery try using compatibility troubleshooter in windows and it will select windows 7 and once I did that it worked! oh btw i am using windows 8.1 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    OK here is the new screen. but still booting into stock screen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	4717

Try it with updated drivers and or USB cable

Customer Since
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Leonard-Chip View Post
    Try it with updated drivers and or USB cable
    Any suggestions where? I have tried 10 times with 5 different cables. The only other issue could be the drivers, but I can't find any others then what I use.

Under linux, I flashed twrp 2.5.0.0 and chainfire's Supersu using Heimdall. As LONG as you do the "--no-reboot" option with heimdall and unplug the usb cable before doing a manual power down, it works.

Just ensure that you have android-udev installed, then install heimdall.

Copy the supersu.zip to the phone.

To ensure you're talking properly to the phone issue the command from the command line with the phone in "download mode" [vol down+home+power]: "sudo heimdall print-pit" to get the proper location of the recovery. (heimdall is case sensitive and "RECOVERY" is the location on the admire2).

To flash TWRP:

"sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot"

Then, unplug the device. power down and then vol up+home+power(recovery mode) and TWRP should pop right up.

In TWRP go to "install" and select the supersu.zip file and install it.

---I would recommend wiping "cache/davlik cache" before rebooting here. It will work without doing that, but I noticed some problems with the first attempt hanging on certain applications post rooting process.-----

Reboot, and you should have root access....although supersu will request an update. Select "use twrp/xxx" and let it reboot. The phone will go straight to recovery, flash the update, and then reboot.

Good to go.

FYI, you will need to use a utility such as Titanium to remove the crap. The play store doesn't realize you can 'uninstall'.
    Just a few minutes with titanium pro and I got 500meg back from debloating the stupid ass junk that cricket and samsung stuff on these phones.

My system is Archlinux, but distro shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Caseyjp; 05-28-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jeans View Post
    Update.

For some reason unchecking "auto reboot" and unplugging it to reboot it into recovery myself seemed to make the difference. I got into custom recovery and installed the superuser zip from the SD card. Finally!
    I just went through the same thing wish I would've seen your post beforehand, it kept rebooting into stock recovery but once I unchecked auto reboot and reboot the phone manually (without powering down first) it finally went into custom recovery, the recovery screen was glitched (text not lining up properly etc.) but I was able to see it well enough to flash superuser.

Overall activity: 11.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
    I just went through the same thing wish I would've seen your post beforehand, it kept rebooting into stock recovery but once I unchecked auto reboot and reboot the phone manually (without powering down first) it finally went into http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...very.htmlustom recovery, the recovery screen was glitched (text not lining up properly etc.) but I was able to see it well enough to flash superuser.
    I'm glad to hear you got it rooted. Having now had the experience of my phone losing all audio and not being able to use my back-up because cwm recovery wouldn't boot, I would definitely recommend going back and flashing twrp (link in this thread: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-recovery.html) and making a backup with that, because cwm is too glitchy to be relied upon.
    Last edited by Action Jeans; 06-25-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

I'm glad to hear you got it rooted. Having now had the experience of my phone losing all audio and not being able to use my back-up because cwm recovery wouldn't boot, I would definitely recommend going back and flashing twrp (link in this thread: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-recovery.html) and making a backup with that, because cwm is too glitchy to be relied upon.
    Odd I just flashed TWRP and it showed the green "PASS" but once again it's only booting into Stock recovery now lol. does yours boot into TWRP every time or only when flashing in odin and resetting phone there?

Yeah, once I flashed twrp it booted into custom recovery every time. Cwm wouldn't boot anymore no matter what. The closest I could get was seeing the hat/gear icon and then it would freeze up. It only got that far two or three times.

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Yeah, once I flashed twrp it booted into custom recovery every time. Cwm wouldn't boot anymore no matter what. The closest I could get was seeing the hat/gear icon and then it would freeze up. It only got that far two or three times.
    Ok looks like I figured it out, I had read some people were having issues using 64 bit OS's in this thread so for the heck of it I rebooted into Windows XP (installed on another partition) re-flashed twrp and now i'm able to boot the phone into TWRP recovery, it definitely looks nicer than the glitchy cwm installed before.

Thanks.

Awesome! Yeah, the interface for TWRP is pretty slick. It's a joy to use after the headache of trying to get CWM to work right.

Customer Since
    May 2013
    Phone
    Galaxy Ex i437z

Will the updates still work after this method? I seem to have lost updates to my phone as Samsung complains. It has been on the todo list, but not at the top.

Chancing that if I brick my phone, it will REQUIRE a Moto and conversion to the DeathStar Network... this thread is bookmarked for use soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails att-death-star.jpeg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information