Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Connecting the SCH-R740C to USB DIAG software (qpst, cdma workshop, etc...)

There isn't a whole lot of info on this specific model phone but I managed to get it connected to qpst by piecing together info from other similar samsung models. Using these steps I have successfully connected the cricket galaxy discover to cdma workshop 2.7 and qpst and even repaired the meid in qxdm.

Step 1: install the proper drivers. Of course the original ones from samsung are recommended but I've noticed that manufacturers can get really bad about shifting links to their drivers or taking them down altogether eventually so I put the drivers in a .gz archive on my google drive here is the link if you cannot locate the original file on the samsung website:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwH9o3eKmuZsQmY0bnhkWUZIalk/edit?usp=sharing

Step 2: Power on the phone. In the dialer enter
    * # 2 2 7 4 5 9 2 7
    enter the spc (should be 000000)
    select "Hidden menu Enable" and press okay

Now you will have access to all the dialer codes, ##DATA# and ##000000# will work now as well as a bunch of the samsung specific *#xxxx# ones but you need to do this last step to turn on USB diag mode, the phone is currently only doing diag in UART.

Step 3: go back in the dialer, DO NOT REBOOT THE PHONE YET- every time the phone boots the hidden menu option you turned on in the last step is reset to off, so remember to do step 2 anytime the phone is turned off to regain access to the hidden menus.
    In the dialer enter
    *#7284#
    Enter your spl again
    Now you are in the service mode menu. You'll see the first three options are which port diag connects through. You will want to click on [1] USB and the little asterisk should move from UART to USB
    Now a message appears that says the change is complete and it tells you to reboot the phone. I never tried to just hook it up without rebooting but this option does not reset when the phone turns off like the hidden menu one so I'd suggest pressing the home button and pulling the battery or doing a shutdown. and booting the phone back up.

Step FINISHED: Now your phone has diag enabled for usb, but it is disabled for uart so you will probably want to change it back when you are finished doing whatever you are trying to do to the modem with external software. You need to have USB debugging turned on in the android settings->Developer Options or the serial diagnostic port will not appear. Once you have usb debugging turned on and the phone plugged into the computer (assuming you did step 1 and installed the drivers properly) you will get 2 com ports assigned to your phone, the first will be the modem connection and is not diagnostic (for trying to use the phone as a, well modem) the second one which will probably be the next sequential com port will be the one you will connect to with QPST configuration, CDMA workshop, or whatever software you prefer.

Step CLEANUP: Once again don't forget to set the phone back to normal operating settings once you are done tweaking it; do steps 2 and 3 over again only switch back to uart in step 3 and reboot. I personally feel it is generally good practice to leave usb debugging off unless it is required to be on by software (like some tethering softwares) this leaves less chance for things to get screwed up and keeps people from messing with stuff who have no business tweaking the phone (or worse, haxing it!)

Once you enable the hidden menus, many of the standard samsung dialer codes work, if you google that then you can find a list and it seems about half of any comprensive list of samsung dialer codes works on this phone as well as a few of the standard ##xxx# codes that most cdma phones use. Interestingly enough ##DEBUG# works without turning on hidden menus, but ##DATA# and most, probably all, others besides
    * # 2 2 7 4 5 9 2 7 do not.

I don't know if esn/meid repair discussion is allowed here or not, I personally think it's silly how much of a negative stigma discussing this has in some forums and feel that it is important to discuss because esn' numbers can get zeroed out very easily when someone is experimenting with what they can do to the phone's modem and I recently hardbricked a phone just because the LG firmware writing software checks for the meid number and wont write the firmware without proper verification so that phone is esentially a paperweight merely because I DIDN'T repair the meid and left it zeroed out. I feel like discussion on meid repair should be allowed in every forum as long as the writer is very explicit and clear that they do not condone writing any number to the MEID other than the one on the manufacturer sticker under the battery or all zeros and mentions that writing anything else could possibly violation of the law and is against federal law in the United States and should not be done.

But discussion on repairing our devices to the way they need to be to properly function and be in full compliance with FCC regulations should not be relegated to the dark corners of the internet just because that information could be misused by criminals. As long as the writer is clearly words things in a manner which does not suggest intent for the readers to break the law or reveals that the writer themselves have broken the law it is an expression of free speech in its purest form.

The reactions that some people get for even mentioning this subject (basically they are treated like common thieves who are trying to change out serial numbers of stolen goods) is behavior tantamount to mcarthyism since identification for purposes of theft recovery is not the purpose of the FCC laws preventing changing of MEID/ESN numbers and it does not intrest the mobile industry to prevent theft of devices anyways. The leading cause of blacklisting of MEID numbers is unpaid balance, it is sprint policy, for example, to clear the meid of a stolen phone the second it is removed from the victim's plan. So all the people who jump down the throats of anyone who discusses this subject can put that in their pipe and smoke it :-D

Edit: oh yeah, the purpose of that end bit there was that if esn repair discussion is allowed in this forum I can edit this post and include information on how to repair the meid for this phone as well, just in case any of you all get a bit carried away with all the hidden menus or have a whoopsie in cdma workshop and zero out the esn.
    Last edited by tcles; 12-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Stock Rom

Anybody have the stock firmware for this phone?

shoot, I would have pulled it off the one I was working on when I started this thread but I just returned to customer a few hours ago. If I get a chance I'll try and pull it all off there, I imagine I can find something for you though if I look. I forgot my ftp password to my webhost at the moment but I'll do what I can. currently the phones *I* personally own are all three LG's actually lmao, but I work on samsungs all the time, probably the most since I refuse to touch huawei, ZTE, or any of the chinese phones. They are just so half-assed done software wise it's a nightmare to work on them and the cheapest ones so it's not worth my time.

Customer Since
    tc

any one have stuck room for samsung discover r740c pls

Customer Since
    jan 2000

Quote Originally Posted by waleed View Post
    any one have stuck room for samsung discover r740c pls

SCH-R740C Samsung Galaxy Discover Cricket CWM touch - xda-developers

Customer Since
    jan 2000

SCH-R740C Cricket Samsung Galaxy Discover CWM / CyanogenMod development - Page 24 - xda-developers

I am replying to this thread in hopes of helping others find the 'stock rom' and other various tools for this device.

thanks man!! any chance u know where the spc is in memory? never saw a cricket phone with a spc that wasn't 000000 or 333333 but this one wont give it up w cdmaw or qpst? thanks for the help above though!!! its further than I was to it!!

Customer Since
    jan 2000

The msl code is 000000

Sent from my naked 4.1.2 sch-r740c

or anyone have this device long password?

Customer Since
    jan 2000

you are presently unable to connect via the method above with qpst?

Overall activity: 74.0%

Looking for 16 digit password for this phone .
    Any one ?
    Just got lot of 10 R740 imported to India for flashing on Indian cdma carrier.
    Looking for help !

Sent by Moto G on Reliance CDMA

Customer Since
    oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hitesh View Post
    Looking for 16 digit password for this phone .
    Any one ?
    Just got lot of 10 R740 imported to India for flashing on Indian cdma carrier.
    Looking for help !

try this

Overall activity: 74.0%

Quote Originally Posted by alduais View Post
    try this
    Thanks buddy ! Worked perfectly .

Customer Since
    oct 2011

u welcome